DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 21:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to the Dark Side
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 13:40 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, As pretty much anyone reading this would know I am a tube guy. I love the sound of powerful tube amps driven by tube electronics. Also as most would know my main system is really top notch. As both a designer and half owner of an audio company I can have pretty much anything I want. With 3 on line turntables, two tape decks, an OPPO Blueray, two tube phono preamps, two tube line stage preamps, tube power amps, Martin Logan ESLs, huge 200 liter subs and a dedicated listening room the system really delivers. So when I deviate into the SS world it is significant. I found a device that actually improves the sound. Not a huge difference but enough to remain part of it. It is a rather unusual thing and is aimed at the pro audio crowd. It is something fairly familiar to them, but nearly non-existent in hifi. I’m speaking of a Behringer DEQ2496 (google it). There is not enough space here to completely describe it. However one of its many features is the ability to calibrate an equalization curve real time on your system (actually store I believe 64 different ones). It uses a calibrated mic (which fortunately I had) and does a noise level setting, followed by a pink noise evaluation (of each channel separately) followed by developing corrections according to your previously inputted settings. You set the response, max range for each of the many points (31 per channel I believe) and things like max deviation between any two points. I set for a max range of 2 db with a max deviation of 4 db. I sloped the top end and extreme bottom end (feeding the ESLs). So by now you want to know what happened. Well I’m not sure, but I like it. It seems to have tightened up the centering of the system (remember ESLs are dipoles) by doing something to the mid-range reflections between the speakers without messing up the outside ones. It sort of cleaned up the sound. These issues are BTW a product of a rather irregular room and not the existing gear. The DEQ2496 has many more features, but they are of no interest to me. For the digital group it has all sorts of digital inputs and outputs. It also uses balanced connections as well as unbalanced ones. It is not a cheap device at $300US, but if you have room issues or system issues that might lend themselves to correction it is well worth it. It goes in between the preamp and power amp or in a tape in/out loop. Welcome to the dark side.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 00:43 

I had the privilege of hearing that one not long after it was introduced at a local audio festival.... it works! :D

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 12:38 
Editor

I'm not surprised. I've actually had good results with many of the Behringer xxx2496 products. My first DAC was an up-sampling SRC2496. It worked great and improved the sound. I've also used the DCX2496. For the price (at the time - they have almost doubled in price since launch) it was an awesome product. The price has climbed quite a bit but it is still a good digital XO for the price.

A close friend had the DEQ2496 in his system for a while. The worse the speakers, the better It worked! Basically you plug in a mic and it determines the EQ settings for a flatish room response. It works rather well. I found that I preferred to warm up the bass a bit. When this product launched is was only about $169.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 20:58 
Project Author

After spending sometime balancing Xovers and parts to get a nice sound in my room I'm not having more electronics tell me what's wrong and fix it for me. Dose the box have an emotional setting and can you vary it? I've busted my balls to keep every component to an extreme minimum and in no way am I gong to add more bloody electronics. On the rare occasion I have been in the room with a correction device it certainly produced a flat sound. Flat and boring. Viva la diference!

But each to his own.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 21:47 

Ummm, no one said you had to :confused:

Work: Classic Valve Design