DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 16:13 
Offline

Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 16:02
Posts: 1
Location: UK
I turned on my wonderful Audiolab CD8200 last week to be greeted with what looked like a software update message. I was 'invited' to press and hold a button (Play? Stop?) for a few seconds as it counted down, and then... the display then went blank and I am now the proud (and distresse)d owner of a black metal box with a red pilot light - I can't even remove the disc that was in the unit.

I contacted Audiolab, thinking they could send instructions to upload the software via the USB port - no such luck. To return the unit to working order apparently requires two visits to Huntingdon (or trust couriers not to sling it around), £45 per hour service time plus VAT. Counting the cost of taking two days off work, that's about what I paid for the player when I bought it direct from Audiolab.

Dilemma - pay for my player twice? throw it in the bin? buy a perfectly functional other brand player for half the cost of repair?

What's most galling is that there was no warning of the consequences - it surely shouldn't be this easy for a user to totally wreck a very expensive piece of kit. We're so used to accepting updates on TVs, satellite boxes, phones, computers and so much of my sound kit is network-connected, I completely forgot that the Audiolab wasn't!

So, I am an idiot - but is this really the end? any Audiolab experts out there? Can anyone offer any sensible suggestion?

Thanks for listening!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy