DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 22:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 08:39 

Hi everyone! i recently moved to the US from germany and brought my Teufel CC 200 SW PC speakers, which i am very fond of. Problem is, i did not check wether they would work with 110 volts! So on the back it says, it accepts 220-240 Volts 50/60 Hertz and needs 300 Watts. I already contacted Teufel and they said, i could not use it in the US. Now i am not afraid of taking it apart, so i thought i asked someone, who might know a thing or two about these things.
Any of you know, wether it would be possible to modify my speaker system to use 110 Volts? I am not afraid to take it apart. Just dont have any experience with these things.
Let me know if pics would help and i can provide them...

cheers,

TopDoozer

PS:Here is the link to a pic of the backside of the subwoofer http://www.allround-pc.com/gallery2/d/37136-1/_E162169.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=2b5532f5e35edb350f8b4e4a1ec52f14

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 00:03 
Project Author

You need one of these. http://www.hammondmfg.com/298.htm It's the simplest way to go. You could start messing with the internal power supply or build your own step up system, but this is the one stop no hassle solution.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 13:34 

urgh. i was hoping i would not need one of those =8( i already looked at some of those step up converter/transformers but i was hoping it would be a little more ... you know... 'messy' as you called it? I will open it up today and have a look inside, see if i can get a clue as to what i would need to tweak in order to make it work, cause i am pretty sure the insides are not running on 220-240 Volts.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 16:26 
Project Author

Hi, a sticky wicket. The step up trannies are the easiest way to go for sure. But not all the elegant. When you open the unit you may find that the existing transformer is multi-voltage and all that needs happen is to swap some jumpers or connections. Lots are, as well as lots are not. If not if you can figure out what it was supposed to deliver in voltages and current (often a guess there) then you might poke though the listings that Edcor has and see if there is a close match. Good luck.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 15:17 

Hi Bruce!

Thanks for your reply and sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I just opened up the subwoofer and took a picture of what i believe to be the transformerboard (see attached file).
Do you think it will be possible to simply run it on 110V 60Hz without risk of burning out or exploding? or do you think it will be possible to find a similar transformer board, that will take 110V 60Hz with an output of 12V and 0.15A? Or do you think the 50Hz/60Hz problem will kill this tinkering project?

Thanks!

TopDoozer

PS: I looked at Edcors page, but did not find a small enough transformer... on Hammonds page (http://www.hammondmfg.com/166.htm) however i found a transformer (166e12), that would put out 12VAC and .15A , i then looked on www.mouser.com (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ham ... 2eJ7H2SQ==)
Do you think this would be an adequate transformer to replace the one that is currently in my subwoofer?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.