DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: hifi or mifi
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 13:49 

M. Gregg wrote:
However you must be prepared for a shock that you might not like HIFI.

Lemmie tell ya true story.

Some customers came in with Ebay bought amps they loved and used, but wanted me to look them over for anything that could be upgraded.

All the components looked OK for the price they paid, but the OPT's looked unnervingly like regular split-bobbin power transformers. I put the amp on the equipment.

80Hz-12KHz at F3.

Hrm.... that frequency response looks familiar. Oh, the OPT has a number on it! *Googles* ... *finds match* Guitar output transformers like AES sells :P

So, I add NFB enough to flatten them to 30Hz to 18KHz or abouts, IIRC.

The customers did a collective "EWWWWWWW!". Having them open on the bench, I clip out the R/C network and they go, "YEAHHHHH!"

I hand them my report and they couldn't believe it. I had to re-sweep them in front of them.

They went from the "Best thing for under $300" to now sitting abandoned under my bench.

The moral of the story - if you like it, don't dig too deep. Like mystery meat sandwiches, you might not like what you find ;)

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 17:05 
Project Author

Hi, Yes indeed. BTW don't ask what goes into hot dogs and sausages ..... :blush:

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2016, 17:33 
Project Author

In Australia I'm a member of Stereonet. Not so much a DIY but more an equipment exchange site. Not unusual to see $10K speakers, amps or DACs being bought and sold on a daily basis. I think sometimes some just want to hear expensive gear on the thier homes and after a few months swap it out for other expensive gear.

I'm 90% DIY across three systems so it doesn't effect me at all. At an audio show in Melbourne a few years back I found 95% of the systems on show ordinary.