DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 22:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 04:30 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
Heh, here in the Vancouver radio corridor, the dial is jammed with tweeny-pop and classic rock or 24/7 news and traffic. Why I stream WBGO Jazz from New Jersey or KKJZ from Long Beach, California... which have decent bit rates :-\

Do you know their bit rates?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 05:36 

No, unfortunately. The version of VLC I use doesn't say. KKJZ uses an AAC codec while WBGO uses mp3 is all I know.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 17:37 
Project Author

Hi, with the assistance in the form of schematics scanned for me by phahn, the tuner is performing much better. It seems that Radio Shack made several quite similar tuners. At least three kits and one assembled version. All were variations of some Harmon Kardon ones that were contemporary with it. Mine seems to be a slightly different kit version than the one in the scanned schematics. It has a few different components and is missing some that were mentioned in the alignment procedures. No real problem with my shop full of test gear. Since the layout was the same and the major components were as well it was serviceable.

One thing was of interest to diyers working on vintage gear though. The tuner has a non-polarized two wire AC mains cord. Internally to the amp is a 0.05uf capacitor attached between the chassis (which is ground for everything in it as well as the antenna and output jacks) and one side of the AC line. When I hooked it up one way in my shop (everything is three wire IEC connected) it tripped the ground fault protection. Turning the plug around was OK. The biggest problem can occur if you hook up sensitive test gear to the unit when it is operating. The initial voltage spike can easily cause damage to the test gear. I killed a DSO that way a year ago. Not only that ....but the charge on the 0.05 uf capacitor (and leakage through it) can give you a nasty surprise.

BTW.... one of the first casualties of the poor economy by larger chains is Radio Shack. They announced today that they will be closing 1100 stores (20% of all they have) to save money. This really is not a big surprise as they have become a "phone" store mostly and really can 't compete with the pros in that arena. It has been a long road for them from the two stores in Boston and Springfield where they started. I forget which year but is was around 1950 or so. I really loved the early catalogs. Where else could you find stuff from MacIntosh side by side with Eico Kits?

Good listening
Bruce