DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 21:24 
Editor

Hi folks, looks like I will get a chance to check out the CES 2012 show in Las Vegas next week. This is my first time going to this show I'm pretty excited to check out some ultra high-end systems. :ugeek:

We will be posting show coverage on the DIY Audio Projects Blog with some some extra show coverage in this thread.

Cheers

2012 CES High-Performance Audio Coverage

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 06:40 

Have a great time! :D

Throw a couple pennies at the phools for me, eh? ;)

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 10:57 
Editor

Here are the exhibitor maps of the high-performance audio area at the Venetian hotel
Attachment:
ces-high-performance-audio-floor-29.jpg

Attachment:
ces-high-performance-audio-floor-30.jpg

Attachment:
ces-high-performance-audio-floor-31.jpg

Attachment:
ces-high-performance-audio-floor-34-35.jpg

Looks like show will be a lot of fun! 8-)
Cheers

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 20:31 

Looks like just about everybody who's anybody in audio will be there, I look forward to reading about it.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 23:50 
Editor

The show officially kicks off tomorrow but I went down to check out the spread today and to say hi to some friends who are exhibiting. All the exhibitors were busy setting up today but I did manage to find one exhibitor who was ready to display - Lawrence Audio (http://lawrenceaudio.com/) Very nice and unique speakers (nice + unique = expensive). I'll crop the photos and post them shortly.

While chatting with some of the exhibitors today, I heard on a few occasions on how high-end CD player sales are way down. One even saying that apparently they can't be given away - of course he didn't offer me one!

I'm curious how many others are going down this path? A couple times a year I find myself selling off CDs that I no longer listen to and also those that I have replaced with high-resolution digital media. I don't imagine I will buy another stand alone CD player (or disc based video player for that matter). Instead, I have been investing in DACs, turntables and vinyl accessories. My vinyl collection grows while my CD collection shrinks.

So how long before the CD player officially becomes legacy hardware?

Cheers

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 01:35 
Editor

I got a chance to privately listen to the new Cello speakers by Lawrence Audio. The show officially starts tomorrow and unfortunately large crowds are not too conducive to critical listening so this private listening session today was really nice. There is a more detailed post on our blog - Cello Speakers by Lawrence Audio at CES 2012.

Here is an additional photo of the speaker showing the rear firing Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeter.
Attachment:
Lawrence-Audio-Cello-Speakers-Rear-Tweeter.jpg

I've had a lot of success improving my DIY speakers by adding an inexpensive tweeter firing towards the rear. If you mount the rear tweeter, use a small switch so you can turn it on and off. In some rooms the rear tweeter can really help, especially with single-driver systems. I'll have to try and inclined mounting like that on the Cello speakers.

Cheers

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Dionysus M-801 Speakers
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 15:56 
Editor

Sorry for the lack of updates folks. Too many late evening events in Vegas to stay focused. :smoking: The photos below show the Dionysus M-801 speakers from Taiwan.
Attachment:
Dionysus Speakers.jpg

Attachment:
Dionysus M-801 Speakers.jpg

The specs are as follows
1-3/4" Titanium Tweeter
8" Woofer
4 ohms impedance
50Hz to 20kHz
89dB Sensitivity
Crossover Frequency 3.5kHz

The Dionysus speakers are not currently available in north america so there is no pricing information for them. I probably liked these speakers because of their higher XO point.

I really liked this poster of their Oak Cask speakers.
Attachment:
Dionysus Oak Cask Speakers.jpg

Unfortunately the oak cask speakers did not make it to the show due to their physical size. Looks like they would be fun to enjoy your favorite music and beverage with.

I remember when I was a kid that my uncles used to go up to the Crown Royal plant in Gimli to buy old oak whisky casks for wine making. I wonder if you can still buy them? The oak kasks also reminded me of a pair of open baffle speakers built Keith which I really enjoyed.

Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 18:31 
Editor

I thought Gregg (Geek) would like these ...
Attachment:
Audio-Research-Amps.jpg

Attachment:
Audio-Research-Amps-Inside.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't get a view of the solder joints! ;)
Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 22:40 

Gio wrote:
I thought Gregg (Geek) would like these ...
Sorry, I couldn't get a view of the solder joints! ;)

:D

I carry a dental mirror around for such inspections :evil:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 11:19 
Editor

Sorry for the lack of posts on CES, I took ill after the trip ad am just starting to fell better. I'll catch up on the CES posts in the next few days.
Cheers