DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 13:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 May 2011, 12:16 

Finally got the TT out and got it nice and clean. I broke out the p.o.s. amplifier that has a phono-pre built it. Connected everything up (TT to phono-pre to Pioneer surround amp) and all is fair. Fortunately, my system has a ten band EQ, so I was able to "bend" the sound to make it much more pleasing. I managed to find an LP that has very low mileage - read as CLEAN -, queued it up and was very pleased with the sound. There's just something about good ol' analog sound that blows away digital audio, eventhough I had to reshape the sound to make up from my pre's poor apparent RIAA response. I'm still awaiting the K301 phono-pre from Oatley. Pictures to come....
:-D

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 03 May 2011, 22:22 

Post clean up, functional test. Off camera, the little p.o.s. seen in the next picture is driving a set of headphones. That little amp's output is at best lack luster in to a fairly reasonable set of headphones.
Attachment:
Quanta 500.jpg

In the Cabinet:
Attachment:
soundstack.gif

Top down;
BSR Quanta 500
p.o.s. ratShack amplifier, being utilized solely for the phono pre-amp. The output (line level) is driving the Surround amp. No speakers are actually connected to the little amp.
ratShack 10 band EQ - Actually works pretty well.
Pioneer 3 disk DVD changer (DV-C302D)
Pioneer Surround amp/tuner (VSX-D498)

Before some one comments on the configuration of my EQ's "waveform", don't. I adjust the waveform according to my listening preferences by type of music, or even particular piece. Sometimes I attenuate or boost the bass, sometimes the treble. Just depends on what the music "needs". This is particularly important to help out that el-cheapo pre-amp that is in TEMPORARY use. If I'm listening to CDs, the EQ is out. Obviously, the EQ is out for movies (DVDs). The surround amp has a tuner, but I don't bother with broadcast radio. There's just nothing out there I like and can do with out the mindless DJ babble and commercials.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 10:47 
Banned

HI.
Les wrote:
very pleased with the sound. There's just something about good ol' analog sound that blows away digital audio

Good start!

Wait until you get yr K301 on :smoking:

BTW, what is on top of yr rig rack? Why not put the TT on the rack top? Would it be easier to work with?

c-J

PS: I'll give you so hints on setting up yr TT to get it sound better ever after you're all set with the K301.

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 11:47 

CheapJack wrote:
what is on top of yr rig rack? Why not put the TT on the rack top?

Well, that would be my 19" TV. This cabinet is actually 5' tall, so putting the TT up there where the TV is would not be very ..... convenient. Where it is in the rack is a little more easy to work with. I have removed the top cover of the TT from the hinge mounts, so when I use it I just pull the top out completely. I'm going to put one of those LED lighting gadgets above it eventually so I can see the track breaks. Many of the albums I have I only like selected tracks, it kinda hard to see those breaks right now.

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 13:59 
Banned

Hi.
Les wrote:
that would be my 19" TV

Mmm.. Make sure the TV is off or the TVs HV EMI would get into the cartridge if the TT is placed too close to the TV.
Les wrote:
I have removed the top cover of the TT from the hinge mounts, so when I use it I just pull the top out completely
YES, make sure the lid of a TT must be removed from the TT when playing. Too many vinly lovers overlook the lid introduces vibration to the cartridge when playing. I tested with scope without & without lid on & detected vibrations coming out from catridge even not playing a record !!

Keep going & let me know.

c-J

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 15:14 

CheapJack wrote:
Make sure the TV is off or .........

Oh yeah, most definately the TV is off when I'm listening to music. Generally, the TV is only on when I'm watching a DVD.

CheapJack wrote:
the lid introduces vibration to the cartridge when playing....

Yes it certainly can, but it's not so much "introduced" as simply acting as an echo chamber for any ambient noise in the room, including the music you may be playing, or even the servo motor. I learned that one a l-o-n-g time ago.

As you may have noticed, or not, the TT is not sitting on any kind of padding. The cabinet is a simple commercial "some assembly required" type consisting of particle board. A pad will be placed under the TT eventually for full isolation, although at this point there doesn't seem to be any noticable resonance due to the lack of padding. The shelf is sitting on rubber tipped pins, so that is probably providing some isolation.

PostPosted: 27 May 2011, 10:34 

You are definitely on the right track. Back in the seventies, the bane of any hi-fi guy, was the record cleaning clothes of that era. They were nice soft clothes, but full of silicone lubricant. This worked OK for a play. or two, but attracted dust, like a magnet. The dust/silicone goop settled to the bottom of the grooves, and caused much noise and trash in the sound. The remedy was to take water, with a tiny percent of alcohol, and wash the records with it before each play. There were companies that supplied such liquid (Soundgard, and the like.). I always made my own, as it was much cheaper that way. Maybe ten percent alcohol. Either methanol, or isopropanol. Use distilled water. As far as wetting is concerned, I think that a brush is wetting the record more than necessary. A small pump sprayer, such as is used with window cleaner is just about right. Mist the record before play, and wipe it clean after play, using a cotton flannel rag. It will get cleaner and cleaner, as time goes by. This won't help scratches and other physical defects, though.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 00:29 

billyboy wrote:
A small pump sprayer, such as is used with window cleaner is just about right. Mist the record before play, and wipe it clean after play, using a cotton flannel rag.

Great suggestion, Billy.

I have a small misting bottle filled with antistatic spray that I just tried with a couple of my well played albums. I din't get this spray for this purpose, but on a whim decided to give it a try. Impressed! It actually did a better job of knocking out the static and pops AND better yet, had a lasting effect after it had dried. This product? Brillianize. It is specifically designed to reduce / eliminate static from a number of surface types that usually suffer static build up. Having used this product for a while on copier glass, I can tell you it does leave film. So, if you choose to try this product, you may want to consider rinsing the album when done.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 21:05 

Clicks and Pops, really, even on new records. Hmmm, perhaps they simply need to be cleaned in a bath type system like a SpinClean. I have, in last 3 years, developed a good size library of LPs. Most of which have no clicks or pops, any that due have noise issues can be traced to surface imperfections, and or, poor playing habits of the previous owner that caused grime to be ground into the grooves. A clean surface is the key to a clean playback. I have no qualms using a chemical to clean, the molecules that may get left behind are smaller than the dirt particles that are in the groves.

Also, were Lenco and Thorens the only manufacturers to employ wet playback? If that is the case that does leave an awfully large group of manufacturers that did not. Makes me wonder why.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 14:01 
Banned

Hi.
booangler wrote:
A clean surface is the key to a clean playback. I have no qualms using a chemical to clean, the molecules that may get left behind are smaller than the dirt particles that are in the groves.

Please read up my reply just posted in thread "Renewed Interest in Vinyl".

c-J