DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 14:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 21:22 
Editor

Geek wrote:
That Specimen horn is cute!

The Specimen horn was indeed cute. The horn is quite striking and from a distance it looked like a Gramophone from the 1900s. I only have limited experience with rear loaded horns but I would expect that floor coupling would have extended the low end by 15Hz. Nonetheless I am a fan of fullrange drivers and the FE108E Sigma is a good choice.
Geek wrote:
"The only thing that stands between me and riches, is a moral compass" - a friend

I tried to pick out some of the more interesting systems and some that should be easy to DIY - unfortunately there really is not much Hi-Fi gear at these sorts of shows that come with modest price tags. A big part of the reason being that if they advertise in the big $ magazines, ship samples around the world for "reviews", entertain and jet set around the continent to these shows you really can't have modest pricing.

For most DIYers like us, it may be hard to match the finish of some of this gear and it may be hard to get a DIY speaker to sound as nice, particularly a large multi-way design. However, with regards to the sonics on most of the smaller tube amps I auditioned, it seems to me that with a good DIY design you can get 97% of their sound quality at only 3% of the retail cost.

I hope the photos and descriptions inspire people to build.

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 21:43 

Gio wrote:
Geek wrote:
That Specimen horn is cute!

The Specimen horn was indeed cute. The horn is quite striking and from a distance it looked like a Gramophone from the 1900s. I only have limited experience with rear loaded horns but I would expect that floor coupling would have extended the low end by 15Hz. Nonetheless I am a fan of fullrange drivers and the FE108E Sigma is a good choice.

I like FR as well (not as much as little 2-ways, but I do love 'em). I've only heard the FE108E Sigma in a metronome, where it... ummm... failed.

I'd like to hear one in a Fonken cab though.

Quote:
Geek wrote:
"The only thing that stands between me and riches, is a moral compass" - a friend

I tried to pick out some of the more interesting systems and some that should be easy to DIY - unfortunately there really is not much Hi-Fi gear at these sorts of shows that come with modest price tags. A big part of the reason being that if they advertise in the big $ magazines, ship samples around the world for "reviews", entertain and jet set around the continent to these shows you really can't have modest pricing.

Got to chat with a fellow once who made these... "Ya might think we're making millions off these, but truth be told, we sell three or four a year."

I like Doc Bottlehead's business theorum... make 'em cheap, move 'em out! :D

Quote:
For most DIYers like us, it may be hard to match the finish of some of this gear and it may be hard to get a DIY speaker to sound as nice, particularly a large multi-way design. However, with regards to the sonics on most of the smaller tube amps I auditioned, it seems to me that with a good DIY design you can get 97% of their sound quality at only 3% of the retail cost.

Some reps from Polk Audio came to a DIY festival... they were humbled. They said something about spending less time at the computer and more time in the field ;)

Quote:
I hope the photos and descriptions inspire people to build.

Absolutely!

I love looking at what's out there, mostly for cabinet and layout inspiration. Arrogant little hockey puck I am, I know I can equal or top the sound :wizard:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 22:52 
Editor

Geek wrote:
I'd like to hear one (FE108E Sigma) in a Fonken cab though.

I`d like to hear one in a frugal horn. ;)
Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 23:00 
Editor

I spent a good amount of time in the AuDIYo.com room. On hand they had a number of DIY parts, modules and tweaks that you could get your hands on. Their system consisted of a Furutech GT40 USB DAC with phono stage, upgraded Dynaco ST-70 tube amplifier, Klaro speakers and Sennheiser HD598 headphones.

See our coverage on the blog: AuDIYo.com (Furutech GT40 USB DAC & Dynaco ST70 upgrade kits).

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 16:56 
Editor

The high sensitivity Voxativ Ampeggio Horn Speakers were my show favorites.

Driven with a 5W SET, these were IMO the best sounding speakers at the show. The speakers had an imaculate finish and were very enjoyable to listen to. Unfortunately they come with a high price tag $29,750US. Seems like I'm on the right track with my system - simple tube amp and high sensitivity rear horn. ;)

For more info see the Voxativ Ampeggio Horn Speakers - SSI 2011 report.

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 17:49 

I would love to hear them. Larger BL horns tickle my fancy :D

That has to be a custom driver.... never seen one like it. With that sensitivity, it'll have no Xmax, so the use of a foam surround is a bit of a puzzle.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 19:15 
Editor

Yes, large back loaded horns + low power tubes are great. :smoking:

I don't recall the Xmax, but about 3 mm seems to ring a bell. In comparison, the FE206E is 1.5 mm. The Voxativ AC-3X drivers do seem to be able to produce more bottom than similar sized low Qts Lowther and Fostex drivers. Very nice. Check out the Voxativ site for more photos, but the AC-3X cannot be purchased. I'm not sure the surround is foam, but I can see where you are coming from, it sure looks like foam. I was under the impression that the suspension was made of goat skin.

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 22:42 
Editor

Another treat at the show were Feastrex NF-5 and NF-5ex Fullrange Drivers which were on display.

5" Feastrex NF-5 ($2000CDN - Alnico magnet.
5" Feastrex NF-5ex ($3000CDN) - field-coil magnet (electromagnet)
The handmade cones are made using Japanese Washi paper ( high density fibrous paper) impressed in a spiral pattern with embossed ridges. The drivers surround is made from lamb skin.

The idea of a field-coil magnet is interesting as one can vary the voltage which in-turn changes the damping of the driver.

There are more details in the Feastrex NF-5 and NF-5ex Fullrange Driver show report.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 05:17 

Hi Gio,

Are these the finest fullrange drivers you have heard?
I was about to try these drivers a few years back.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011, 22:37 
Editor

Hi Dinesh,

The Feastrex drivers are definitely one of the best fullrange drivers I have heard. Considering the price per driver, they better be pretty darn good! 8-) These were quite good in a bass reflex box and I am expecting even better in a T-Line enclosure.

Overall at the show I liked the Voxativ Ampeggio Horn Speakers the best but these were in a horn enclosure and not available for purchase as lone drivers, so I guess they don't count. ;)

Another exotic / esoteric widerange unit that I have heard and like are from PHY-HP. I spent a lot of time last year at the show (Salon Son & Image 2010 Coverage - 3/3) listening to them. These are about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the Feastrex. These come in a widerange (up to ~ 8-10kHz) and as coaxials. The PHY-HP are higher Q and more suited to open and infinite baffles.

Cheers