DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 22:42 
Editor

Hey folks, it's that time of the year again and this weekend I'll be in Montreal, Canada attending the Salon Son & Image 2011 show providing coverage for diyAudioProjects.com. I've got a good camera this time around so I should be able to get some good photos.

If anyone has any suggestions for what they would like to see with regards to show coverage - post a note in here and I will do my best. If you are interested in some particular equipment that you can't audition in person, it will likely be at the show. Check the Exhibitors list and if the item will be there, let me know and I'll snap some photos and give you some subjective comments.

2011 Salon Son & Image Show Reports

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 16:58 
Editor

I'm at the show and so far I have taken a brief look though the show. There is too much for me to cover everything so I will focus on single-driver and high sensitivity speaker systems, headphones, tubes and the limited DIY content. I don't imagine anyone will complain about that. ;)

Our friends at Canada HiFi are also at the show and you can find more coverage at their site: http://canadahifi.com/index.php/2011-sa ... -coverage/

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 18:13 
Editor

Some brief notes about the Orangutan O/96 High Sensitivity Speakers.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 17:47 
Editor

The cute Little Horn Speakers by Specimen Products. The speakers use the Fostex FE108E Sigma in a unique looking horn.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011, 16:08 
Editor

Photo of the Quebec made LafleurAudio X2 Speakers on display at the show. The Lafleur Audio X2 speaker uses two 5 inch ScanSpeak mid-bass drivers and a 1 inch soft dome ScanSpeak Tweeter in a 2.5 way design.

The speakers are in a heavily braced curved speaker enclosure and weigh about 55 lbs each.

Bass reflex 2.5 Way
Low frequency transductor : 2 x 5"
Ring dome high-frequency transductor: 1.5"
Frequency response: > 45Hz - 20000 Hz
Sensitivity (dB/2,83 V/m): 90 dB
Nominal impedance: 4 Ohms
Dimensions (HxWxD): 27 x 11 x 14 inches
MSRP $20,695

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011, 18:28 
Editor

Quebec based Solen.ca was at the show and had a new DIY speaker kit on display which should be available soon. Details of the DIY speaker kit have not been finalized but Solen indicated that it would retail for about $550 and will likely be called "A4". The kit uses a wood cone driver and ribbon tweeter from Airborne.

For more information about the new speaker kit information see: Solen.ca DIY Speaker Kit - SSI 2011.

Here is coverage of the Solen room from the 2010 show: http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/20 ... ge-23.html

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 10:21 
Editor

Time for some tube p0rn.

This is the Ayon Triton KT88 Tube Amplifier.

The amp is switchable between Class-A Operation Triode (80W) or Pentode (125W) mode.
Tube Complement: 8x KT88, 6x 12AU7
Weight: 44kg
Cost: $8495

More info: http://www.ayonaudiousa.com/us/products ... riton.html

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 12:33 
Editor

Audio Note Jinro Integrated Tube Amplifier on display at the 2011 Salon Son & Image show.

Wonderful sounding single-ended amp using 211 output tubes.

The tube compliment was two 5R4WGB rectifiers, two 211 output tubes and the front end consisted of one ECC82 (or 5814a) and one 7044 (or 5687).

Power output is 18Wpc into 8ohm @ 5% THD.
Weight: 85 lbs (27.5 kg)
Cost: $26,500

There is a full review of the Audio Note Jinro Integrated Tube Amp in the April 2011 issue of Stereophile.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 13:17 
Editor

Here is a photo of the new Nagra 300i Integrated Tube Amplifier.

The integrated amplifier uses four JJ brand 300B directly heated triodes in a push-pull configuration. The amp operates in class-A and the output power is 20Wpc.

Sorry, I did not get a price for the amp. Very fine finish and the sound was quite good, but not quite up to part to some of the single-ended amps at the show! ;)

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 18:06 

"The only thing that stands between me and riches, is a moral compass" - a friend

That Specimen horn is cute! :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design