DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 22:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY Bucket list
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 07:38 
Project Author

I think the BL should be no longer than ten projects. I have completed one and here is a new one:

1 - Class D 100W power amp in 1U enclosure with linear PS. Possibly bridged for 200W in 4 ohms

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 20:30 

mwhouston you must finish the "Hiraga Le Monster". I built one 6 yrs ago to drive my tweeters, (1" silk dome) in a tri-amp system i still have as my main one. Liked it so much i built another amp just to have as i used the original K170/J74 fets when they were buck apiece. It is driving a 2-way set of 10" + 3" "west coast sound" spkrs from the 70's. I used to use a 60w class AB amp for the same spkrs and have never switched back when i plugged in the Le Monster.
I've never had a bucket list. I find it much too confining and endlessly changing. Another member spoke of having many more interests in electronics than just audio and i fall deeply into that area to but will always include audio.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 21:02 
Project Author

Unfortunately the Hiraga is still unfinished.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 07:52 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
I think the BL should be no longer than ten projects. I have completed one and here is a new one:

1 - Class D 100W power amp in 1U enclosure with linear PS. Possibly bridged for 200W in 4 ohms
I have been informed the modules is already bridged. BUT the Hypex NC400 is a true 200W pc module and may well be a higher performer.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 16:27 

no pressure, just curious, what will be the new features of the MCA? more output power? 4ohm driver option?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 17:22 
Project Author

Positron wrote:
no pressure, just curious, what will be the new features of the MCA? more output power? 4ohm driver option?

A local amp module producer who sells modules and whole amps and preamps all over the world said that bipolars gave a superior sound to FETs. I wanted to do the bipolar equiv. to the ZCA. Also I wanted to use the humble 2N3055. You can purchase 2N3055s for 50 cents.

Requiring reasonable bias current, this could be managed with a JFET and provides a hybrid Darlington pair. No completed ZCA is in the wild yet. Be the first.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 06:12 

i just might be the first :) i have red what Kramer said on bipolar vs. FET

i also have already:
1. Batteries (instead of a PS)
2. An old PlayStation for the casing of the MCA
3. Some silver-plated wire (not sure where exactly to use it, probably everywhere :D)

and

4ohm fullrange drivers 96db (should be 8ohm i know but can i modify the MCA for 4ohm?)

Do i need a preamp since i will use a computer audio card m-audio 2496? maybe also later a DAC with ESS chip

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 18:36 
Project Author

I found with the ZCA a tube preamp sounded best.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 07:17 

how about i use GT 12AX7-R (for running on 12v batteries) tubes instead of the OPamps of the DAC and at the same time its a preamp, like this (here different tubes are used):
http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFEREN ... loDAC.html

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 07:11 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:

I have since discovered the Class D modules I have cannot be bridge because they already are. Hypex 400W modules (NC400) can be bridged. Also in this build I will front-end the amp with a 6SN7 preamp section in cathode follower config.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next