DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 17:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY Bucket list
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 19:23 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
He is my original Buck:

"Here's mine:
1 - Single tube preamp
2 - Single tube phono preamp
3 - The Audio Express 211 power amp with no caps and all inter-stage nickel core transformers
4 - 807 amp (Cabernet Luciano) designed by Suncalc
5 - 300B amp (Treasure) designed by Suncalc
6 - Large tube phono amp
7 - Magnetic amplifier (if I can ever find a cct. and tranni winding specs)
8 - Full tube powered, two channel home theatre set-up
9 - External DAC
10 - A compressed CO2 SS preamp."

I am proud to say I can clear a few off:
#1 - Single tube preamp - I have built a total of six of these in four different variations.
#4 - The 807 amp - complete and I'm enjoying it.
#5 - 300B amp - complete and currently my fav. amp.

I have not built a single stage tube phono preamp but a large tube two stage tube phono preamp - fully/half completed?

How is everyone else going with their bucket??

I had no intentions of upgrading my Oppo BDP-93SE so therefore no buck list entry. I bought a 46" LED screen some months back but only had a DVD player to use with it. I had used my Oppo BDP-93SE with the screen a few times to watch some BD movies and liked it. I really needed a Blue Ray player in my theater system (soon to go two channel only).

I ordered an Oppo BDP-95AU (free zoned) online and expect it to be delivered in a few days. This will be my new CD/Multi player in my main listening system and the "93" will take the place of my aging Pioneer DVD player.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012, 20:47 
Editor

Let us know how you like the Oppo BDP-95. I may be in the market for another player soon. ;)

Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2012, 08:24 
Project Author

Gio/folk: Only had less than one hour of listen time with the Oppo BDP-95. It needs some time to bed-in.

First impression: Much better bass, heavier and more controlled, Generally cleaner sound across the hole audio spectrum.

It is a much heavy than the 93 and looks/feels bigger. Tomorrow I will get some serious listen hours with the player. But it may take two more days to get some big hours with it.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 22:29 
Project Author

Hi, I want everything, however a pair of Martin Logan CLX, a pair of Depth or Descent M-L Subs, one of the high end Sota TTs, suitable matching cartirdge, a new OPPO 95SE, and about a 1000 additional LPs. Electronics (amps etc) I have what I want and if I change my mind, I'll design and build the replacements. A new stereo room would be nice as well.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 22:42 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, I want everything, however a pair of Martin Logan CLX, a pair of Depth or Descent M-L Subs, one of the high end Sota TTs, suitable matching cartirdge, a new OPPO 95SE, and about a 1000 additional LPs. Electronics (amps etc) I have what I want and if I change my mind, I'll design and build the replacements. A new stereo room would be nice as well.

Good listening
Bruce

I think this extends well beyond a bucket. Must say the Oppo - 95 is an extremely good player. It is far better than the "93". Upgrade to this first. The other stuff can wait.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 18:30 
Project Author

After helping to get a friend's (Don) 6C33C amp going and having a chance to have a really big, in depth listen to it, I have to add this amp to my list. I had always intended to to build one but it never got on my list.

This revised list needs and update:

1 - Single tube preamp - done
2 - Single tube phono preamp - upgrade to dual tube phono stage
3 - The Audio Express 211 power amp with no caps and all inter-stage nickel core transformers - yet to start
4 - 807 amp (Cabernet Luciano) designed by Suncalc - done and very happy with the result. Still have the amp.
5 - 300B amp (Treasure) designed by Suncalc - done (The Silver Dragon). Possibly never to sell.
6 - Large tube phono amp - remove, covered in #2
7 - Magnetic amplifier (if I can ever find a cct. and tranni winding specs) - will it ever happen
8 - Full tube powered, two channel home theatre set-up - remove, completed only a week ago
9 - External DAC - no need with the Oppo BDP-95 and hard drive via USB - excellent.
10 - A compressed CO2 SS preamp - going to remove this one.

New list:
1 - SE EL34 amp for selling and to use up many spare components
2 - Dual tube phono preamp
3 - The Audio Express 211 power amp with no caps and all inter-stage nickel core transformers
4 - 6C33C amp same as Don's.
5 - MCA (new design) in a 1U 19" rack case.
6 - Magnetic amplifier (if I can ever find a cct. and tranni winding specs)
7 - Single small metal chassis tube amp
8 - Three stage simple SS amp with 2N3055 in emitter follower config. - I have the schematic
9 - Finish my Fostex FE206 small double bass chamber boxes - ready to go.
10 - Build a speaker around some old Phillips 8" woofers and silk dome tweeters. - yes and pigs might fly.

That is my updated list. I always try to come up with 10 "wishes". Glad to say I have completed a few off the original list.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 20:52 
Project Author

Hi Mark, I may be able to assist with the small tube amp. I'm in the construction phase of a mono amp that is a lot like half of a Poddwatt. Cute little thing about 4 watts of really clean sound. No special parts. Fits on a 13X24 cm chassis easily. It uses the new output transformer, but could use the GXPP-10 one from the early amps. The one that looks like a GXPP is actually a power transformer with the bells that would fit the 10 watt GXPPs. I also have a good mini stero design using 6BM8/6GV8 and clones for just over 1 watt per channel. Single ended, U/L.

Good listening
Bruce

BTW, this is an early photo, the amp looks a lot nicer now with hammer tone paint and things fastened down properly.

Attachment:
IMG_0074S.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 23:17 
Project Author

Bruce thanks for the suggestion. I am desperately trying not to by any more parts and use what I have (which is excessive anyway). Of course if I have to by a choke or power tranni to finish a job for which I have all the other parts that's OK.

Trying to use tubes I have already is my main drive. But I'm a tube magnet. Earlier this year I was given a box of second hand tubes (with two pristine looking 807s sitting on top). And I was admiring some NOS brown base Svetlana EL34s a speaker building friend was given. Two days later he gave them to me. At the club audio club met the other night a fellow amp builder gave me another pair of 807s. I have tubes hanging out of my ass!!

Your little amp looks good and you are cranking a few watts out of it. Let's know when completed I'd like to see the finished amp.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 11:03 
Project Author

Hi, I'm a tube magnet as well. Also all kinds of parts. I am quite certain I have more components than any place within a 50 mile radius. At one time long ago I used to buy parts in ones and twos. Now it is 25-50 and 100s. Funny thing is that it seems with every project....there is at least one component that I don't have.

The small amp could be built with 6AQ5/6005s as well for about 2.5 watts per channel. I may try that next.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012, 19:16 
Project Author

New list:
1 - SE EL34 amp for selling and to use up many spare components - currently under construction
2 - Dual tube phono preamp
4 - 6C33C amp same as Don's.
5 - MCA (new design) in a 1U 19" rack case. - Under development
6 - Magnetic amplifier (if I can ever find a cct. and tranni winding specs)
7 - Single small metal chassis tube amp - 6T9 amp???
8 - Three stage simple SS amp with 2N3055 in emitter follower config. - I have the schematic
9 - Finish my Fostex FE206 small double bass chamber boxes - ready to go. -Completed
10 - Build a speaker around some old Phillips 8" woofers and silk dome tweeters. - yes and pigs might fly.

An update to the old list. New list to follow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next