DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 16:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY Bucket list
PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 20:09 

C-J,

what are your reference speakers?

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 10:28 
Banned

Hi.
dtsup1 wrote:
what are your reference speakers?

First off, I don't own any "reference speakers" nor ever I've claimed to have any.

My sonic reference is live performance, music or vocals. Don't get the wrong idea I am so rich moneywise & timewise to attend whatever & whenever live concerts I want. I am still working 7days-week like a horse running 2 businesses. :)

Yet live performances do not necessarily need money to buy in. A ready example of free live performances is Sunday church service where we can listen to live speeches & live choir performance, which should be used as sonic performance for our audios at home, IMO.

Back to yr question: my loudspeakers are a pair of vintage KEF 2-way bookselvers (18"x10.25"x6.75") in a fully sealed box. Its first 1962 introduction was reviewd as having "revolutionised the whole conception of bookself speakers & it has been widely copied since with being equal".

Frankly never I've seen any bookshelvers got such a huge bass driver: 13"x9.5" with solid cone flat diaphram of rigid polyfoam, fully reinforced with
aluminum foil & neoprene roll surround.

That said, my picky ears could not tolerate its HF which rang like hell & somewhat boxy LF. So I upgraded it by replacing its stock plastic dome tweeter with a SEAS tweeter with a larger soft fabric dome diaphram which cures its peaky HF. I modified its micky-mouse style lousy small X-over :bawling: into passive bi-wiring :idea: & rebuilt it on a large firberglass PCB wtth overrated
metalized PP caps. The skinny inter wires :bawling: are replaced with #12 oxygen-free HC copper wire soldered direct to the speaker units terminals.

The most "revolutionary" improvement, IMO, is to have this large rebuit bi-wired X-over board removed OUT of the cabinet & relocated it at the back of my power amps. :hot: All the bi-wiring loudspeaker cables are #12 oxygen-free HC copper, one pair for tweeter, & one pair from the bass driver, run direct into the loudspeaker cabinet & soldered direct to the loudspeaker units. No more sound affecting cabinet cable terminals to worry about. :idea:

This outboard loudspeaker X-over system has been used by a few brandname
loudspeakers. I've improved over them by locating the outboard X-over board (housed in a plastic box) floated on the floor behind the power amps with only 1 ft short run loudspeaker cable connecting the X-voer network box & the power amp O/P terminals. This very short cable length will make passive bi-wiring very effective, minimizing the 'downside' of covnentional passive bi-wiring system with standard built-in-cabinet X-over network - commonly criticized as LH/HF intermodulation on common cable run

The last not the least to make any bookselvers sound better is the stand. For any bookshelvers to sound good, a pair of heavy stand is a MUST.
My upgraded KEF are placed on a pair of steel tripods with the tweeters at my ear level. To make the stands massy, I have the tubular voids of the stands fully stuffed with lead shorts & baked fine sand. The stands are placed well away from the walls to assure minimum direct soundwave reflections.

Of couse, we should not overlook the driving amps. My way of achieving superb sound from my compact bookself loudspeakers is using passive linestage & phonostages of minimum active stages.

Hopefully you can see why I am yet to be impressed with full range loudspeakers so far I've audtioned .

c-j

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 06:00 

Thanks, very interesting...

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 01:25 

My bucket list is always growing/changing so it's kind of hard to nail down projects. However, there are still some things that probably will never leave my desire to build.

-A tube power supply, 100-450v (figures may change), 0-1A, 0.01% regulation over entire range.
-A SS power supply, 10-80v (isolated so I can turn it into a +/- supply if needed), 0-10A, 0.1% regulation
-Optocoupler attenuator (see Lightspeed project) that uses transistors and can be controlled by a single pot.
-KT88 stereo for 70WPC
-Quad-EL34 guitar amp at 80-100W
-PIC Microcontroller interface for tube/SS amps allowing computer control/monitoring of amp
-Tesla Coil
-12v 20A lighting plant for work shop use
-Tower speakers using quality drivers (by quality I mean not salvaged by speaker cabs bought at thrift stores)
-Induction heater for small-scale welding

Maybe my list is a bit naive but I don't care. It's good to have ambition even if half of these projects are never built. I can't say much that hasn't been said; most of the projects people want to build are either copies of or similar to the projects of others.

Ed

You can't have too much heat sink.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 06:07 
Project Author

BowToEd: Now that's a real mixed list.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 00:58 

This is true but it seems silly to limit my adventures to just audio. As far as electronics go, audio can get pretty boring. It's one of the biggest uses of electronics but far from the only one. Why limit myself?

Ed

You can't have too much heat sink.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 06:54 
Project Author

He is my original Buck:

"Here's mine:
1 - Single tube preamp
2 - Single tube phono preamp
3 - The Audio Express 211 power amp with no caps and all inter-stage nickel core transformers
4 - 807 amp (Cabernet Luciano) designed by Suncalc
5 - 300B amp (Treasure) designed by Suncalc
6 - Large tube phono amp
7 - Magnetic amplifier (if I can ever find a cct. and tranni winding specs)
8 - Full tube powered, two channel home theatre set-up
9 - External DAC
10 - A compressed CO2 SS preamp."

I am proud to say I can clear a few off:
#1 - Single tube preamp - I have built a total of six of these in four different variations.
#4 - The 807 amp - complete and I'm enjoying it.
#5 - 300B amp - complete and currently my fav. amp.

I have not built a single stage tube phono preamp but a large tube two stage tube phono preamp - fully/half completed?

How is everyone else going with their bucket??

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 23:25 
Project Author

I can take two off my bucket list: 807 "Luciano" power amp and single tube preamp.

I can add: 211 SE transformer coupled power amp and tube phono preamp for myself (built one for some one else).

How is your bucket list going????

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 08:48 

The list has changed again. New update :

1. 3 way reference speaker Zoltan style using Scanspeak Beryllium tweeter, Audiotechnology 15H midrange and 2X Audiotechnology 6H 7'' bass drivers.

2. Krill Amplifier

3. ZCA with high end parts

4. DIY DAC

Mark, how is your ZCA?

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 17:10 
Project Author

dtsup1 wrote:
The list has changed again. New update :

1. 3 way reference speaker Zoltan style using Scanspeak Beryllium tweeter, Audiotechnology 15H midrange and 2X Audiotechnology 6H 7'' bass drivers.

2. Krill Amplifier

3. ZCA with high end parts

4. DIY DAC

Mark, how is your ZCA?

With building so many excellent tube amps over the last few years the ZCA never sees light of day. It is still in one piece but I can't see myself using it anytime soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next