DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY Bucket list
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 15:34 
Project Author

At Mark's prodding; here my current bucket list.

6EM7 Vertical Chassis Amp - As prototype for a larger build - in work
    807 Vertical Chassis Amp - Triode mode with volume control
    Line Stage Preamp - 4S + dual tone stacks + buffered outputs - in work
    6CY7 Headphone + Speaker Amp - Based on loaded output transformers
    6336 Triode Amp - High bias 12AX7 driver
    6005 AB1 PP Amp - With 12AU7 phase splitter driver
    6V6 Bass Amp - Champ topology tuned for jazz bass
    6005/6C4 SE Mono-blocks - mirrored layout
    4S Preamp with VT PS - in work

The two vertical amps are as much woodworking projects as they are electronics projects. These two amps will look completely different from anything else I've ever built.

I'm sure that there's more about which I've forgotten and this list doesn't contain the various prototyping and test jigs I'm always putting together. I can't really number them because the order really doesn't ever seem to make any difference.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 19:19 
Project Author

Matt: Good to see your bucket list. I think it helps in a way to see what projects you have in mind and where you are at with them.

I had forgotten about my own bucket list 'till just the other day. I felt a little proud I was able to knock-off one project (Fostex speakers) and update some other projects. I'm trying to keep 10 on the list but realise that some may never see day light. Once the EL34 amp is done that's another down. In the middle I built the La Boca MC SS preamp for a friend. It was a paying job so all stops for that though it was not on the list. Even better I delivered it last night and got paid.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 20:59 
Project Author

In light of current work with chip amp construction and finishing of other projects and wishes it is time to revise the Bucket List:

1 - SE EL34 amp for selling and to use up many spare components - built one others to follow with better OPTS
2 - Dual tube phono preamp - have the modules ready. Need PS and enclosure.
3 - The Audio Express 211 power amp with no caps and all inter-stage nickel core transformers
4 - 6C33C amp same as Don's.
5 - MCA (new design) in a 1U 19" rack case. - On Hold
6 - Speakers based on 5" driver and soft dome tweeters
7 - Single small metal chassis tube amp - 6T9 amp???
8 - Three stage simple SS amp with 2N3055 in emitter follower config. - I have the schematic
9 - Finish my Hiraga Le Monster - just requires assembly and PS
10 - Build a speaker around some old Phillips 8" woofers and silk dome tweeters. - yes and pigs might fly.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2012, 06:12 
Project Author

Just finished a chip amp - SynergyII\Cu. I'm not going to add it to the Buck List let's just call it an incidental. I have an entry for a 6C33C amp. I picked up a pair of Asian made OPTs. They are 600\4\8ohm. Boy that is low primary impedance. For 50W trannies they are small. I guess it is just the fact that the primary impedance is low and therefore doesn't require a lot of wire.

I may ask Matt to design the 6C33C if he would but it will be a while before I can start the amp. I have about half the parts. Another EL34 first. Edcor have informed me my OPTs are on the way.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 06:23 
Project Author

Time to update the list and add and remove a few:

1 - SE EL34 amp (another) for selling and to use up many spare components this time with better Edcor OPTs
2 - Dual tube preamp - have the modules ready. Need PS and enclosure - PS done enclosure ready.
3 - The Audio Express 211 power amp with no caps and all inter-stage nickel core transformers
4 - 6C33C amp same as Don's - may never happen. Have the parts need the time.
5 - MCA (new design) in a 1U 19" rack case. - On Hold Still on hold
6 - Speakers based on 5" driver and soft dome tweeters - Boxes ready, Xover under construction
8 - Three stage simple SS amp with 2N3055 in emitter follower config. - I have the schematic Still on the list
9 - Finish my Hiraga Le Monster - just requires assembly and PS Like when
10 - Compete the Light Note attenuator.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 03:37 
Project Author

I must (and you must) update my bucket list.

I want to add ( therefore one must be removed) monoblocks 6EM7 amp.

Reason is I wanted to make a Decware EL84 amp but I think (after another serious listen) that my (OK Matt's design) 6EM7 amp (Paris Duo) uses one tube, we own the schematic\design and sounds GREAT!!

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 08:42 
Editor

Gio wrote:
A real SET amp 300B!

Open Baffle Speakers

A Nelson Pass SS amp - (F5 - I have all the parts)

A dedicated listening room.

I hate these sorts of threads because when I look back my list never seems to change. We today I was surprised to see that I have almost completed two of them. I've made progress on the listening room. I have my new space setup and I just need to add sound dampening to the walls. The other item is that I have a set of OB speakers now. Alpha 15A + Fostex FF85K. I have plans to go with an active XO so still some work to do, but progress is slowly being made. I'll have time later this week to get some photos posted of the room and speakers.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 08:55 
Project Author

Gio wrote:
Gio wrote:
A real SET amp 300B!

Open Baffle Speakers

A Nelson Pass SS amp - (F5 - I have all the parts)

A dedicated listening room.

I hate these sorts of threads because when I look back my list never seems to change. We today I was surprised to see that I have almost completed two of them. I've made progress on the listening room. I have my new space setup and I just need to add sound dampening to the walls. The other item is that I have a set of OB speakers now. Alpha 15A + Fostex FF85K. I have plans to go with an active XO so still some work to do, but progress is slowly being made. I'll have time later this week to get some photos posted of the room and speakers.

Cheers

My mate Dave has built a number of F5s. Good sounding amp. I had a chance to directly compare it with a Hiraga 80W amp (Dan's). I think the bass of the F5 was deeper but the bass on the Hiraga was more articulated. Both excellent sounding amps.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 07:31 
Project Author

Here is a mid-2014 update of the bucket list. I actually got a few on the old list completed and add a number also. Now for the new list:

1 - SE EL34 amp
4 - 6C33C amp or headphone amp with tranni coupling.
5 - MCA (new design) in a 1U 19" rack case.
6 - Single driver high efficiency 12" speaker
8 - Three stage SS amp with 2N3055 emitter follower. - I have the schematic and now high performance 2N3055
10 - Build a speaker around some old Phillips 8" woofers and silk dome tweeters. - yes and pigs might fly.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 07:32 
Project Author

I can't believe this list at mid 2014. I thought I had more finsihed than in the post above. I will reprint here and mark what I have completed.

1 - SE EL34 amp - done
4 - 6C33C amp or headphone amp with tranni coupling.
5 - MCA (new design) in a 1U 19" rack case.
6 - Single driver high efficiency 12" speaker - done
8 - Three stage SS amp with 2N3055 emitter follower. - I have the schematic and now high performance 2N3055

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next