DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 08:14 

hey,
so... um....
i have the following options:-
1)HD215 sennhiser
2)HD438 sennhiser
3)grado SR60i ( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
4) any other suggestions..??
P.S i have limited availability and a 100$ budget thanks :)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 08:58 
Banned

HI.

Rather than suggesting which headphones you should choose, I' suggest you to check out what amp you are using to drive the headphones. Make sure of impedance matching to get the best sound.

As all those 3 headphones get same 32R impedance, it will be OK to use amp of 8R O.P impedance. So an amp/receiver with 8R headphone jack should do the job.

If you are going to build yr headphone amp, then make sure that amp is designed to deliver low O/P voltage but high current to get the headphones sound best.

Likewise if you are going to use headphones of high impedance, e.g.300R - 600R, then you got to build an headphone amp to deliver high O/P voltage swing & low current for such hi-Z headphones.

c-J

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 12:26 

hm...
so i'll go for class A since i need high current outputs but is an amp really necessary??
the source will be an iPod or computer.
thanks

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 15:25 
Banned

Rohan wrote:
is an amp really necessary??

Hi.

Yes & no. Depending on what you want for yr music.

Yes if you want really HiFi sound.as the O/P power of an iPod/PC is very limited.

No if you just want some music from yr iPod. No need any big sound.

Try it first without amp to see if you are happy with the sound. Make sure you choose the headphone of highest sensitivity.

c-J

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 17:21 
Project Author

Hi Rohan,

Sennheiser HD 555
AKG K-530

My personal favourite is the AKG K-530.
I use this Headphone on my Szekeres Buffer, Cmoy (BB2134), from my 6AS7 headamp and the PP headamp box.
The only differences i can hear are the amps themself. Even plugged into the i-pod it works fine..

just my :2c:.

Have fun ;-).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 18:47 
Editor

The Grado SR60i offer very high value for the cost. I have a pair of SR80 that I use at work. A computer will drive them, but not as well as a dedicated headamp will.
Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 05:37 

the thing is :(

BUDGET + INDIA = :(
you cant even get akg's or grado's here :( senhiser has some models out but limited ones so i am stuck to sennhiser also 100$ budget for an AMP+headphone only means that i can either build an amp ( due to the cost) or go with headphones only. Another restriction is age :O m only 16 and no credit cards for me so um... its mom nd dad, their new to online buying so ordering from abroad is out of the options so... the answer is ... well !

hope you understand
RoHaN the NewBiE

P.S is it really necessary to know every dam thing about electronics to be doing diy? most people i meet say "you're to young to be handling stuff like this" or "you need to do this in a degree or something"

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 09:09 
Banned

Rohan wrote:
you're to young to be handling stuff like this

Hi my teen friend!
Never too young to learn a good hobby.

I DIY my first electronic when I was 14 or 15 - probably the most simple AM radio in the world back then. A passive design: a hand-wound tuning coil on a small cardboard cylinder, with tapping for tuning radio channels by a germanium diode (sand diode not existed yet). driving a piezo earbud.
Only 3 passive parts including the earbud. That's it !!

Hooked up to the AM loop antenna built on my apartment roofdeck, it picked up a couple of channels
loud & clear !!! I was overjoyed & so was my dad.
Rohan wrote:
you need to do this in a degree or something

No you don't. Reading some electronic textbooks online will help you to jump-start.

c-J

PS: I always refresh what I've learned by referring it to my silent tutor:- "The Radiotron Designer's Handbook (4th edition). Learning has no age limit.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 09:59 

Rohan,

It is good you start early. I'm only 7 years older than you. In no time, you would be very skilled and experienced in electronics !
Start with some low voltage projects, then as you gain confidence try something more daring.
Do a lot of reading before you attempt anything that involves 240V mains.

The Grado SR60i headphone Gio mentioned is about $79. Sennheiser runs in at $129.
The Oatley headphone amp kit is $27 -

The Grado + Oatley will be slightly over $100.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 06:18 

thanks guys you really made my day :) a few questions

#well since the only headphones available and are good from their reviews are the sennhiser hd 438 or hd 448 so i decided to go for the HD448 and i'll save $$ for a future amp till then i'll listen them un-amped (is that even a word ?)
#saw some books but um.. all of them had either really basic stuff or they had like detailed studies about FET's etc and huge amounts of maths some of it which i even haven't done yet :) suggest some books pls
#are there any lessons in proto boarding .. i cant really get schematics which i design on protoboards
#you guys know any good schematic editor ? eagle is just bad :( tina is great but has really limited PCB design facilities

RoHaN thE nEwBiE*