DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 18:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Good Recorded Music
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 10:53 

I am always looking to hear well recorded music. Can you guys suggest some CDs?

Here are a few that I think are well recorded:

Diana Krall - All of You
Alison Krauss - Forget About It
Steeley Dan - Two Against Nature

Post subject: Re: Good Recorded Music
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 13:08 

The only cd's I use are some newer cd's as I can't get them on lp's like celtic, Irish and scottish music most of the stuff I got is on lp's is classical and up to about the early 80's stuff.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 12:53 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I like to check out my system with some unusual music. Several of the Bronn Journey CDs of harp music are very revealing. If your system isn't up to snuff, it will sound horrible. I like to use female vocals as well. Celtic tracks can be good for this. A older piece of music I use is Amazing Grace by Judy Collins. It's a few years back but well recorded. She starts off solo with no instruments. If you have any midrange or imaging problems in the system, they will stick out. It will be like finger nails on a chalk board. Music with pianos, solo acoustic gutars and bells are greats tests as well.

In general IMHO the sound that comes out of your system should sound convincing and not be fatiguing to listen to.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 21:30 

I need to get this groups cd's soon http://www.nuclearwhales.com/music.htm and also some from this guy:

Check out his other vidieo's too. On this one you have to have good speakers

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 23:01 
Project Author

I think this will help a lot
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/cd.html
This is a list of great cds that made it to the list ONLY if they were well recorded.
My favorite recent find is Babyface MTV Unplugged 1997. Recording quality is very nice and I get some pretty nice imagine with it. Others to try is Tracy Chapman and Bruce Hornsby. And while a lot of people around here might not be into this kind of music, Radiohead came out with a record ( I think in last October) called "In Rainbows." I wouldnt say anything special about the recording quality, but the music is incredible. Its just a suggestion but I really enjoy it.
RiGuy

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 23:25 
Editor

I thought the new Radiohead recording sounds poor. In a Rolling Stone issue I read a RadioHead article where Tom York described "audiophiles" as old people trying to relive their youth and the passion they had for music when they were young. That is not a direct quote, but it was something along those lines.

EDIT: I just found the article, and my mistake, it was Jonny Greenwood

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... adiohead/3

Quote:
There were complaints in certain online circles about the sound quality of the In Rainbows downloads, but surprisingly, considering the sonic complexity of their own records, none of the members of Radiohead are audio geeks. "That sort of hi-fi sound-quality thing really annoys me," says Jonny Greenwood. "I was in London talking to a label guy once, and we got on to this subject, and I said hi-fi is just about middle-aged men trying to make music sound as good as it did when they were teenagers, and it never will. They'll never be as excited as they were when they first heard that music coming out of just one speaker. They'll never get that close to it again." Greenwood smiles sheepishly. "Later, I found out he's got this amazing record player and spends all of his time upgrading his system."

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 07:15 

Well I really like this albums:

1: Jewel - Spirit
2: Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions Revisited
3: David Roth - Pearl Diver
4: Samples 2008 (This one only Bruce knows about it hehehehehe).

CD number 4 is a compilation Bruce sent me. Geat well recorded songs. That made me get another album I find quite amazing:

5:Celtic Woman - A new Journey

Also, I dont look only for well recorded albums, the music must be good too :).

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 07:22 

gmilitano wrote:
I thought the new Radiohead recording sounds poor. In a Rolling Stone issue I read a RadioHead article where Tom York described "audiophiles" as old people trying to relive their youth and the passion they had for music when they were young. That is not a direct quote, but it was something along those lines.

EDIT: I just found the article, and my mistake, it was Jonny Greenwood

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... adiohead/3

Quote:
There were complaints in certain online circles about the sound quality of the In Rainbows downloads, but surprisingly, considering the sonic complexity of their own records, none of the members of Radiohead are audio geeks. "That sort of hi-fi sound-quality thing really annoys me," says Jonny Greenwood. "I was in London talking to a label guy once, and we got on to this subject, and I said hi-fi is just about middle-aged men trying to make music sound as good as it did when they were teenagers, and it never will. They'll never be as excited as they were when they first heard that music coming out of just one speaker. They'll never get that close to it again." Greenwood smiles sheepishly. "Later, I found out he's got this amazing record player and spends all of his time upgrading his system."

LOL, interesting article!

I've seen may people around the web saying all radiohead records sound good and stuff, but I dont think so.
Also, my Tracy Chapman CDs are not great, but I like the songs, so I dont care. If it sounds bad but the music is good, it's fine for me.

Oh, forgot to mention, I also like most of STOCKFISH recordings too.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 07:59 
Project Author

I agree about the recording quality of the Radiohead CD. Plus they use a lot of distortion and feedback so its hard to use it as a reference CD or anything like that. I just think the music is fantastic.
I looked last night on the web for information about the recording studio used for the Radiohead CD and didnt find it because so many people complained about the quality that they had the web overloaded. HOWEVER, what they were complaining about was the 160Kbps that it was released on in mp3 format on the web. They had released the album for free or whatever you wanted to pay. Its now out on double LP and CD and the quality is much better, but not great. The music is just great though, I can close my eyes and listen straight through to that CD and just get lost in each track.
RiGuy

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 11:35 

I'll losten to that Radiohead album. Although Im not a big fan of their music it looks like is a good album.
RiGuy, do you have the CD? Is the quality that bad?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next