DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 19:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salon Son & Image 2010
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 21:18 
Editor

Hi folks, I'm in Montreal and attending the Salon Son & Image show. So far so good - plenty to look at and I've heard some really great systems. Not much DIY content, but Solen.ca was on-site and they had a nice DIY Speaker. Sorry, too tired to post photos tonight, but I will get some up over the next few days.
Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 00:38 
Editor

I'm having a real good time at the show in Montreal. Here is a short overview of the show: http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/20 ... ge-13.html

Coverage of the show is also available from:
http://www.canadahifi.com/
http://blog.stereophile.com/ssi2010/

Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 21:41 
Editor

I spent quite a bit of time in the Solen and Audiyo rooms. Solen had a very nice pair of MTM towers with Scan-Speaker Revelator drivers. This was a very nice sounding 2-way.

http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/20 ... ge-23.html

I'll post my show favorites tomorrow and more photos here in the forum as time permits.

Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 05:34 

Thanks for the updates on this, Gio :up:

Nice to have 'uncoloured' reports on shows :headphones:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 21:41 
Editor

Thanks Gregg.

Here is the final installment: http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/20 ... ge-33.html

I've got more pictures that I'll post in this thread as time permits.

Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 21:54 
Editor

Inside view of a PrimaLuna ProLogue One integrated amplifier.
Attachment:
PrimaLuna-ProLogue-One.jpg
Attachment:
PrimaLuna-ProLogue-One-inside.jpg

35 Watts per channel
20Hz - 30 kHz +/- .5 dB
THD 0,25% @ 1W; less than 1% up to full power
4 x EL-34, 2 x 12AX7, 2 x 12AU7

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 23:36 

I spy me some auto-bias circuitry in there, methinks.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 14:24 
Editor

Another speaker I really liked was the Model 15 made by coherentspeakers.com. Unfortunately their website does not seem to be navigable right now.

The driver was a dual concentric unit, 3" dome midrange and a 15" woofer crossed over at 600Hz, 97dB sensitivity. The price on the Coherent Model 15 was $10,000

Had a great time talking audio and not sales with Al who as it turned out is also from Winnipeg.
Attachment:
CoherentSpeakers-15-inch-coaxial.jpg

This was definitely a speaker I could live with. I will have to start playing around with co-axial / dual-concentric speaker drivers more as I really like the ones I heard at the show.

The speakers were driven by a McAlisterAudio SE-44J tube amp which was using 12GE5 horizontal output tubes, 22W, $2300.
Attachment:
McAlisterAudio-SE-44J-Tube-Amp.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 22:59 

Gio wrote:
Another speaker I really liked was a 15" coaxial unit made by coherentspeakers.com. Unfortunately their website does not seem to be navigable right now.

Ugh, one of those idiot Flash sites :x

They sure look nice. Love to hear them compared to a Silver Iris.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 14:20 
Editor

Geek wrote:
They sure look nice. Love to hear them compared to a Silver Iris.

They really sounded great too. Too bad their site does not work - I'm curious about the driver employed.

The Silver Iris OB 15" Coaxial Unit is quite different, as it is for open baffle use. The Silver Iris looks like a great deal at $160. I'll bet the coaxial drive unit in the coherentspeakers would be 4 to 5 times the cost of the Silver Iris unit.
Cheers