DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 12:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 23:13 

I have been an audiophile, all my life but I did not know is was genetic until ~ 2000- I read a Time or NW article about how some study found hearing acuity in .1% of men and no woman!
This hit the nail on the head as to my experience. Chumming around other AFs as a teen, I was the youngest by far. "The wives are just not interested, they just pretend anyway" was a typical line.

Anyway to my point :
I want to verify the claim or find the original study.

I gave up all the DIY & what not.
I am happy with my sony cans & Android at 24/192 & DSD!
Go Nelson Pass!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 12:43 

Talking to many ladies in our store, I think it's likely they listen to the music, while we listen to equipment.

But I'd need a control group to verify this scientifically.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 20:07 
Editor

My experience is that in general women have better and more extended hearing than men. While they can tell a bad system from a good and a great one and can also distinguish the subtle differences when cued - women generally pay little interest to the equipment and probably focus more on the music content rather than our obsession of trying to perfectly recreate the recording session.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 20:22 

Thanks, & I agree but the extreme acuity mentioned was a discernment of say the rustling of a leaf in the midst of other noise, not frequency range or absolute sensitivity. Or to put it differently sound smearing from dieletric absorption from say vinyl phono cable would be very noticeable by one of these freaks...
I seem to recollect the LA Times was it.

Is Jon Riesch (sic), the cable guy, still around?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 21:37 
Editor

Risch and probably not for a dozen or so years or more.

Here are a couple of his cable designs
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Belde ... er-Cables/
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-B ... ct-Cables/

Hearing, like vision can be a funny thing because the mind plays a large role. They say that seeing/hearing is believing - but I know many people who have to first believe before they can hear.

If you do find the link to the article/study, please share it.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 22:58 

Gio wrote:
Risch and probably not for a dozen or so years or more.

Here are a couple of his cable designs
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Belde ... er-Cables/
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-B ... ct-Cables/

Hearing, like vision can be a funny thing because the mind plays a large role. They say that seeing/hearing is believing - but I know many people who have to first believe before they can hear.

If you do find the link to the article/study, please share it.

Ty
EMed Risch no response yet
Cannot find
Anybody know somebody at the LA Times, it was ~2001