DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 03:18 

Hi today I want to review the Audiophiler MKP, its red and made in China. It is also not cheap on aliexpress.
I went through some serious listening sessions, after about 2 hours and a small tube amp circuit mod, I realised something was missing, the mid range was all distorted and resolution was low.
We are comparing 1.5UF Audiophiler, with 3.3uF ECWFE panasonic brought from rs components, gauranteed to be geniune MKP. However the ecwfe caps are also made in china.
I also decided to swap out my ecwfe for audiphiler after the circuit mod.

The red audphiler caps gave me the impression of normal caps, not for audio. Poor quality, Sounds like some sort of metalised polyester, like wima mks.

I then went on and did a comparison with nichicon 3.3uF Fine gold 100v, vs 3.3uF ECWFE panasonic. The ECWFE panasionic was the winner, it gives me more natural mid and highs, the resolution also went up. We changed the zobel circuit cap 8.2Ohms parallel with 3.3uF for pro signal 880 phones.

Fine gold has a very elevated trebble, it gives you that gold impression in trebble and a bit of distrtion feel in midrange.
ECWFE has natruall and high resoltuion sound, everything is balanced. It gives you the impression of low distirion as if your listeing without a cap in series, good sound.

The close up shot of red caps used in my zero nfb 160v pre amp.
Tested with the ocl head amp class a which I designed .

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 00:08 

Thank you for the confirmation :thumbsup:

I'm hooked on the ECWF(x) series. Great bang for the buck, available everywhere and decent lead length for point-to-point. Though the ones I get through Digikey list "Japan" as country of origin :confused:

I like Nichicon Fine Gold (series UFG) and they fatten out naturally flat sounding amps. My choice for recapping vintage Marantz.

Have you given Elna RFS (Silmic-II) series a go? As with any 'lytic, give 'em 80-or-so hours to break in before judgement.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 00:57 

No I have not tried elna audio caps. The only ones I tried was just fine gold and KZ.
A quick comparison on fg 470uf 100v vs KZ 470uf 25v . The kz has a more flat response, it dosen't give you that "Fine Gold" taste in the trebble.

You are right on giving 80hours or so of burn in for caps, however, I was very dissapointed on the sound quality, I had to take them out.
With comparision to so call MKP caps branded tenda also from china which I had used, I had some that burnt in for more than 2000hours, with a ECWFE replacement, instantly heard the sound quality improvements without any burn in.
However I may consider giving them a 200+hour burn in on the zero nfb pre amp, then do another comparsion with ecwfe.

I brought my ECWFE on RS components, when recived, it had sticker of the model of capacitor, also along with country of manufacture, which was China.

Heres some pictures of the caps I got. Also remeber to buy the ECWFE parts that are NOT MARKED A, refering to data sheet A means cut lead
https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/w ... 00C202.pdf

Theres also ERSE Pulse X caps which aren't expsneive when they claim for top quality perofmance, however I tried to purchase them and both times my card got declined, the american back dosen't like mine.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 01:36 

Oh yeah, those are the new ones made in China.

I was referring to the epoxy dipped ones with the Matsushita emblem on them. ECWFA, IIRC the series.

I've A/B the new caps and the old ones and in lower levels, like a phono pre, you can hear a difference with the new ones being more transparent. But in line-level and higher, one is hard pressed to tell the difference.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 20:49 

I had let the Red audiphile caps burn in for about 30Hours, after 30hours of burn I listened again, the clarity was slightly better, but overall sound quality was poor. Everything is ok, but it greatly lacks in sound clarity, it is mudded as if your listening to music through a wall, not directly at music source.
Sound quality wise, identical or not much better than non audio caps. I'd like to conclude that they are not Metalised Polypropene.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 21:51 
Project Author

Hi, Your experience with the Audiphilers matches mine. I tested them as coupling caps in a pair of amps. Horrible. Fortunately they were cheap here (I bought a bunch of different sizes and most were about $1US) and now they just gather dust. I won't even use them in power supplies. My preferred caps at present for coupling are Audyn True Copper Caps. Costly but quite nice. A much less costly but nearly as good cap is the Audyn Caps Plus. A bargain IMO.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 22:38 

Its nice to hear someone having the same impression on the caps.
Unfortunatly extremely high end caps would be way out of my budget. (I'd say 5usd per cap is already much more than what I would consider spending, I don't have a job and I'm a undergraduate university student, I personally view this budget can be used to restock my electornic components and can do more usefull stuff)
ERSE Pulse X is the best I own, to me this is already satisfying enough. I'd perfer to get more sound quality by designing new circuits because I have the ablity to do so and is relativly inexpensive.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 14:34 

Heres some extra info on things you guys may want to know. My pre amps are all directly couppled and uses dc feedback, only caps are on input and ouput.
Some pre amps have cap couppled gain stages not direct, I'd say using audio caps in these places may have more noticible effect on sound quality improvements and expience.

You can be sure that I am having a good listen at cap distortion on from input and output caps