DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 20:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 21:29 

Hello All,

I have a Scott 296 integrated amplifier. I really love the phono section. I'm new to DIY builds, but I'm interesting in building a standalone phono pre based on the Scott's phono section for my office.

Trying to gauge if this forum is the best place to find some people who are willing to assist a newbie like me...At this point, I can read a schematic and solder. That's about it. I'm 26 years old, with no technical background. I have restored two McIntosh MC30s, a Knight KB-85, a Dynaco ST-70, and I've built some of the bottle head projects.

Could someone help me come up with a schematic for this project? I'll also need help developing a power supply... I know the Scott isn't the last word in transparency/detail, but I just like the tone.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 13:56 

Nice move you made, trying to get involved with what seem to me to be some
designing. I am at some lost tho as to what you really have in mind. perhaps you
might be a little more specific, as to wat you really want to do, are you lookin to construct a power amplifier, or a pre amp, or an integrated system...and where is
your standalone phono preamp position, in this theatre.

PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 23:54 

Yup I'm on the confused side a bit to. No matter soon will out.
You say you like the Scott phono section. Do you mean your want to build an amp to go with the phono amp and drive your spkrs?

Remember that when you switch to the phono select and listen to the sound you like, you are still listening to sound being reproduced threw the phono amp, yes, but, then into the tone control section followed by the drive section and finally the output stage, each of which add their own flavor to the end result you are listening to.

An easy way to tell if it is just the phono amp section alone that will work for you,, is to use the tape out to drive another amp. I'm not saying you haven't done that, it's just for readers info.

If the phono stage alone is what you are after,, do you want to reproduce it,, or isolate it in the amp and remove it for use in another setup? Do you have the schematics for the Scott?

Or do you already know all that and are you looking for ideas on what kind of power amp to build for your office system? Solid State or Vacuum tube? Auu i see you have selected Vacuum tubes. How loud do you listen to it? What kind of music do you listen to? What is the efficiency of your spkrs? Are they floor, bookshelf, or suspended? How large is your room? Is your phono cartridge moving magnet or moving coil? Which make?

Basically,, look at your system as a group of blocks placed one after the other in a chain. Each block represents one of the modules in your setup from record,, to cartridge,, phono amp,, tone amp,, main power amp,, to spkrs and tell us what and which you are needing help DIYing on.

I will say you have good taste in amps to restore. Cheers.

Laurie

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 18:25 
Project Author

Hi, a worthy project. But I caution all new diyers that phono preamps are not as simple as they appear. Component selection (quality etc), layout, power supply filtering, grounding and shielding are quite important. Any mis-step and thing will be rather awful. Hum and noise are killers in phono preamps.

Like someone else mentioned, what you like is the sound of the whole amp and not just the phono section. It may be quite good, or its issues are cleaned up by the rest of the circuitry. Scott is noted for good stuff...but hard to tell what will happen when you separate the sections.

Good listening and good luck with the project,
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 17:41 

There ya go..