DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Aug 2019, 23:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MJ14002 Good For Audio?
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 02:28 

MJ14002 Good For Audio?
I had been using them for audio and they are the best transitor I had ever used.
When going from Class B OCL To Class A with a Bias of 19Watts the speaker DC voltage dosen't change and locks on to zero.
With Japanese transistors like sc5200 etc etc I get DC voltage few mV when I go from Class B to A, I think this has something to do with the current vs gain as japanese transitor changes when current changes. But MJ14002 dosen't looking at the data sheets its virtually a straight line telling me its super linear and linear transistors is what you want for audio.

Anyone used MJ14002 before? I want to hear your oppnion on it

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 14:09 

KochiyaYamato wrote:
MJ14002 Good For Audio?
I had been using them for audio and they are the best transitor I had ever used.

Well, you answered your own question ;)

Pretty much any transistor can be used for audio, unless specifically designed for switching service (like IGBJT's), but those can be used for class-D, even, as I discovered on an EEblog.

Just watch your Safe Operating Area. Looks like these are rated for DC as well, not just pulse.
(Datasheet is for 14001, 2 and 3)

class-C RF transistors are a bit of another story.....

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 16:54 

Well thats just one persons opnion saying that MJ14002 is good. I know its a rare transitor but if anyone has the chance to try it I want to hear their oppnion on it.

Oh and the SOA I had ran TIP3055 for more than a year without any plorbems they are rated for 60V CE and the MJ14002s are rated for 80V CE so it shouldn't be a plorbem

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 00:00 

KochiyaYamato wrote:
I know its a rare transitor....

Ummm, no it isn't - active device, Digikey MJ14002GOS-ND (Mouser 863-MJ14002G). Pricey though :eek:

Cheers!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 03:29 

They don't have any MJ14003s though. None on digikey and no avaliblity on Mouser.

Unless you pay allot or use a taobao agentcy to buy from a geniune store online don't think its possible to get them.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 05:51 

Alas, true!

Unless you need this specific type (or have a lot of them), have you tried the MJ15023/4 or MJ21193/4? They sound pretty amazing and are my go-to's for TO-3 upgrades :D

Cheers!

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 17:23 

Unfortunetly I have not tried them. I think I had seen them before in schematics and read the datasheets.
The DC Current Gain Charaistics of MJ14002 seem to be superior over the others thats why I haven't considered using them.

But yeah I'd go for some MJ's for outputs even if they are not 14002, they should sound pretty good, MJ15002 should also be good for audio too.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 21:09 

What kind of circuit configuration are you thinking of?

Unless it's a one-transistor dealie, hfe current gain is practically moot... especially if you wire it in a Sziklai pair :D

Cheers!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 18:59 

http://www.afiata.com/wp-content/upload ... 24x694.jpg
Sorry for the late reply but heres the circuit configuration I am using it in.
The tip31 and 2n3055 current gain stage is same as the one I am using except that the voltage supply, resistance and transistor values are diffrent.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 04:16 

Closed loop NFB.

Doubtful many would be able to hear the difference between any output transistor used :geek:

Cheers!