DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 05:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 05:26 

Hi,
I currently taking a AS systems and control course and have decided to build an audio amplifier as my project. As part of the course I have to make a questionnaire and get it filled in by multiple people.

I've uploaded my questionnaire to http://survey.neon-dreams.org.uk and help in filling it in would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 11:57 

Hi Dan

I have posted some answers to your survey. If you need any tips with building this amplifier, you're definately in the right place.

Kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 09:14 

Thanks for filling it in.

I'm still deciding if I should use a chip for the power amp or build one from power transistors. I've got a couple of transformers from an old NAD 3140 amplifier so I'm hoping to use those as the power source but they output about 45 to 50V so I'm trying to find a chip amp that will use that voltage. If I can't I'll use power transistors since they're rated much higher.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 10:01 

Dan,

I filled one out as well. Good luck with your project.

Keep in mind that we like pictures here! I think that many of us would like to build full-time, but since we can not, we live vicariously through project pictures.

alan

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 10:14 

Hi Dan

I wish I could answer your question on what amplifier to build. With the voltages in mind, it looks like you'll be looking at a transistor based amplifier as you said. I haven't built any amplifiers with any amp chips (LM3875 for instance) but I do plan to.

I have built 3 JLH amplifiers now, two with a friend and one by myself (pictures of my build to follow). I have a thing for Class A designs but I can't wait to get my hands on a chipamp.

Kind regards and best of luck with the build.

Kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 10:19 
Project Author

Survey filled out. You know for a few of those I had not only "no preference" but "no desire", like for what color lights I might prefer to have no lights whereas the question leaves my answer as no preference meaning lights are great but I dont care what color they are. So I wonder if your results may be skewed because of the answers available.
Ri

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 10:52 

Hey Alan. I'll be sure to post some pictures as I progress through the build although I've got too design most of it first. So I probably won't start building for a few weeks.

Hi John. I think I'll go for a class AB amp if I use transistors, mainly because of the heat produced by class A amps when not doing anything. The NAD 3140 was class A and had a giant heatsink through the middle of the case. Plus examiners like things that are eco friendly. :D

Hi Ri. I see what you mean. Quite a few of the answered questionnaires have no preference on the extras questions. Whereas I expect most people would have preferred to put no desire. I'll be sure to use this as part of my evaluation of my questionnaire though. I may take it as being 50-50 on the no preference answers and create a no desire answer from half of the results to maybe help reduce any skewness.

Thanks, Dan

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 12:49 

Dan181 wrote:
Quite a few of the answered questionnaires have no preference on the extras questions. Whereas I expect most people would have preferred to put no desire. I'll be sure to use this as part of my evaluation of my questionnaire though. I may take it as being 50-50 on the no preference answers and create a no desire answer from half of the results to maybe help reduce any skewness.

Thanks, Dan

Dan,

Since the door has been thrown open I'll jump in.

I too found a number of questions where "No Desire" would have been my preferred response. The question about lights confounded me a bit. If you were simply referring to a power indicator I have no preference on color. I think that choice is influenced by the colors of the switches, the chassis and other items. If, however, you were thinking of lighting the amp more artfully, I would have no desire to do such a thing.

alan

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 14:32 

The lights question was more the general highlighting colours of the case. Primarily it's going to be the colour of the power indicator and other lights on the amp that are for more artistic reasons. For example glowing rings around the knobs on the front of the case. I was also thinking of adding a LED VU meter under the unit that would give it an under glow that would change in intensity with the music. I'll draw a sketch of my current ideas and post it tomorrow.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 15:21 

I finished my sketch earlier than expected I've put it here http://survey.neon-dreams.org.uk/Amp2.jpg . The file's quite big 2.8Mb so it will take a bit of time to download. It's only a quick sketch of one of the possible case designs so I'll likely change it a few times before I start building. Any comments on the design are much appreciated.

Dan