DIY Audio Projects Forum

What is this thing?
Page 1 of 1

Author:  CrazzyAbtTubes [ 24 Feb 2009, 18:15 ]
Post subject:  What is this thing?

I was digging through a box of parts that I have and came across this thing! It says series resistor and on the side it says "C" regulator made by Clarostat and has filaments like a heater inside. :confused:
Series resistor(small).jpg
Series resistor2(small).jpg

I think it is a current limiter of some type but not really sure... :worried:

Author:  z-strat [ 24 Feb 2009, 21:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: What is this thing?

Interesting find!
Those date back to the late 1920s and maybe into the 30s. You're right, it is a Current limiting resistor, used on appliances and radios back in the days when line voltage wasn't exactly reliable. Particularly in the city, line voltages would often be quite higher than in the rural areas. These would limit the amount of current drawn by, say a radio to help protect it from high line voltages. It also provided regulation as the line voltage would go down, the element would cool off a little thereby lowering its resistance and vice versa.

Yeah, I'm an antique radio nutcase!

Author:  CrazzyAbtTubes [ 25 Feb 2009, 18:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: What is this thing?

Wow, I had no idea it could be that old, so really can I use it for like an amplifier or for testing purposes? Or what else can I use it for?

Thanks for the info. :up:

Author:  ftsolutions [ 27 Feb 2009, 18:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: What is this thing?

On something like that which plugs into your house wiring, I think that I'd personally use it as a "bookshelf museum piece" and not actually plug it in to the wall - you don't know if it is still good or the wound resistor wire in it is brittle and liable to break, and modern house wiring and power quality is so much better than what existed at that time. I think it might be more likely to cause you aggravation by introducing low line voltage issues on power hungry amps.

That my $.02, anyway. Pretty rare to find these still around - I had a few from the attic of my grandma's house, but have misplaced them in the numerous moves I've made over the years.

Author:  CrazzyAbtTubes [ 02 Mar 2009, 19:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: What is this thing?

Thanks for the info, if I hadn't known any better I would have plugged it straight into the wall, hoping for something magical to happen to the line noise on the AC of my amplifiers. :xfingers:

Thanks :up:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group