DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 14:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arizona Capacitors
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 19:34 
Project Author

With my big 300B which just sold I bought two pairs of TJ Full Music SE tubes because I didn't want to get left with a blown tube I couldn't replace. The tubes RRP was $1200 a pair. I thought at one time to roll the big fellows but I thought why? I have very expensive good tubes what is there to gain and what do I lose.

I will be trying a few different pairs of 6L6s in an upcoming build because this is why I'm building the amp, to use some metal can old 6L6s and some JJ 6L6 which I bought years ago and have had very little use. In fact I have three very different pairs. I want to enjoy listening to the very different tubes. What other components are going into this amp, I'll have to wait for my mood to change - lol. I do have some expensive Jensen copper foil, paper and oil caps with pure silver leads. Years and years ago they were $35 each.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 20:56 

Paper and oil with copper foil and silver leads for $35.00 each. Those days are gone!

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 06:41 

Just my thoughts,

Audio note copper sound similar to Audyn true copper.
I wouldn't advise Audio note oil caps in a first time newbie build... I,m not a great fan of them.
There are better caps or as good for less money.

Jupiter copper wax sound similar to Robert Hovland Supa-caps and they are less fragile is another example.
Not a fan of Mundorf silver in oil << :D many like them. It sounds like there is something missing in the music.

Synergy exists with standard parts :eek: (they are not all equal)

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 16:12 
Project Author

I use to like the Jupiters when they first came out. Then they got very comercial looking and not so hand made looking. I complained to the owner of the company but to no avail.

One supposedly expert cap reviewer canned them. I used them in a Fender Champ guitar amp and a OPAMP preamp. Sounded OK both times.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 11:10 

mwhouston wrote:
I use to like the Jupiters when they first came out. Then they got very comercial looking and not so hand made looking. I complained to the owner of the company but to no avail.

One supposedly expert cap reviewer canned them. I used them in a Fender Champ guitar amp and a OPAMP preamp. Sounded OK both times.

Which Jupiter's did you use the Red, Yellow, or Beeswax and foil?
They changed the beeswax because if you looked at them they melted :D
Now they just melt if you use them in an amp..

Regards
M. Gregg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 17:39 
Project Author

The Reds beeswax and foil. Where I used them there was very little heat.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 21:03 

mwhouston wrote:

I must ask!

Why would anyone use, under any conditions or circumstances, for any conceivable reason, a technology established in the 1930s that was *known* absolutely without a scintilla of a doubt to be a dangerous and failure prone method by the early 1940s?

Even punch-drunk boxers learn not to lean *into* the punch.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 22:02 
Project Author

Peter W. wrote:
mwhouston wrote:

I must ask!

Why would anyone use, under any conditions or circumstances, for any conceivable reason, a technology established in the 1930s that was *known* absolutely without a scintilla of a doubt to be a dangerous and failure prone method by the early 1940s?

Even punch-drunk boxers learn not to lean *into* the punch.

Why with all the advancement if speaker driver design and with materials like; Bextrene, Polypropylene, beryllium,titanium and techniques like diamond dust coating and ceramic coating why would we make speakers designed in '20s. 'cause we can and we are after something specific and away from the norm. I was after a sound of yesteryear and I hope the beeswax caps would do it.

http://www.auditorium-23.de/Hommage/Cinema.html

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 07:43 

I was not being snarky, but this is a very real concern. My primary interaction with the electronic hobby is restoring vintage radios from the 1920s through 1960s, and I have *seen it all* when it comes to wonky capacitors, capacitors that have adopted an alternate life-style as resistors, capacitors that have become temperature-related relays, capacitors that melt, explode and any number of other behaviors that are best described as 'unhappy'.

And, when I restore vintage radios with field-coil speakers with papier-mache cones, I will replace/re-cone/rewind in kind. I could use an outboard choke and PM speaker, probably even get better sound thereby, but that is not the point.

I guess I am gun-shy having seen otherwise restorable radios with slagged power transformers or slagged rF/iF transformers due to failed wax-and-paper caps that by all appearances look fine. And having that experience multiple times, I will not invite it further, or wish it into the future. For those who are fanatical about appearances, I *will* melt the wax out of a cap and install a modern film cap inside, replacing the wax (but adding some casting wax for temperature stability). Those radios get a 3x5 card with a gutted cap attached so that a future owner knows what has been done.

When I started to include audio devices in my hobby, I used what I learned from radios to use caps to 'voice' amplifiers - those that have tone-controls in any case. Very small changes in cap values have a significant impact. And shifting from very small value electrolytics to film caps in some applications has a very pleasing effect. Electrolytics drift and/or have very wide tolerances - much as my experience with paper caps, often with tolerances of more than 20%, few less than 10%.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 08:38 

I must admit,

The Jupiter wax capacitors have a very clear sound, however as said before the Robert Hovland supa-cap sounds similar and is more stable with heat.
I wouldn't solder them direct to a tube base perhaps to tag strip and then to the tube base.
I notice some high end equipment uses the new copper foil version.
The Jupiter's are more stable than the old paper wax caps.
I quite like the Jupiter red (Astron) similar to the old black cat caps "tin foil" and polyester so much more stable.

This is an interesting read..
Its interesting to note Audio note now use polyester in oil..(I have no connection its just for interest).
http://www.audionote.co.uk/comp/cap_paper.shtml

Quote:
The word "Mylar" is often used to generically refer to plastic film. However: Mylar is a registered trademark owned by Dupont Tejjin Films for a specific family of products made from the resin Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET). The true generic term for this material is polyester film.

Polyester so bad vs Mylar so good..LOL horses for courses if it sounds good use it. :D
Its interesting to note Arizona caps and whats used as the dielectric.
Red, Blue, Green Cactus and the reflections on the "real sound" links.
I still haven't tried the blue cactus but it seems to be one of the preferred types.

Its really interesting to hear the difference with Polycarbonate vs polypropylene vs polyester.

The Green and blue cactus are paper and Mylar mix in oil (like pilchards without the basil sauce :D but they are in a tin ).
Sorry couldn't help the red herring..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M. Gregg on 29 Nov 2016, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next