DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 21:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arizona Capacitors
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2016, 15:50 
Project Author

I would have thought the inductance so low as not to cause a problem. Sometimes a little inductance is good for reducing ultrasonics.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2016, 16:08 

mwhouston wrote:
I would have thought the inductance so low as not to cause a problem. Sometimes a little inductance is good for reducing ultrasonics.

I play, on occasion, with Part 15 FM & AM transmitters. Inductors much smaller than a given wire-wound resistor can cause havoc if the coils are even slightly messed. And, very low-power home-made FM transmitters (and FM crystal radios) are often tuned by spreading or compressing inductor coils of as few as 6 turns and as small as 5 mm in diameter (even less).

So, it would be no surprise to me if such a beast in a very sensitive point in an amplifier might add some sort of artifact, or filter out some sort of artifact such that there is an audible effect.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 09:39 

Reflective (ignore).

You often hear,
comments like you can't "Hear" parts changed in the cathode of a tube.
However then they go on to say you can hear a change using things like LED biasing (which is in the cathode).

From experience, you can hear a change with resistors that are non inductive.
Or the change from one type to another.
Its interesting to note that the Ohmite audio WW https://static.rapidonline.com/catalogu ... 6P01WL.jpg
resistors are available in inductive and non-inductive types.

To me Mills resistors have a sound as do other types.

The effect is variable in that with inductive types:
A warmer sound across the spectrum or reduction in treble response.
Change in bass response warm and woolly or tight sounds like reduction in low resolution.
One of the interesting / surprising changes was a change in clarity (resistor make dependant) and revealed information.
Interestingly the idea of non magnetic parts "sounding bad" did not seem to apply.

If the inductance is removing HF hash giving clarity or reducing HF audio or low frequencies is open for debate.
We could go on to talk about RFI etc and injection via output transformer but its all possible maybe's.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 16:45 
Project Author

I never experiment with parts and never A/B with gear. I build and listen. Some times I rush a build and leave, for example, bypass 0.1uf polies off my Ck(s) and go back later and add them. But I would never change a part for another part thinking it may improve the sound.

When I build I want two hear how parts I have chosen work together. I want to hear the amps character, good or bad (luckily it has never been bad just different). In my Black Lace 6V6 build I used carbon film resistors and the metal encapsulated Russina military PIO caps for interstage. I would never go back and replace a part to see if it improves the sound. It is what it is at the point of creation. Always different but never bad.

Currently my Black Lace version of Suncalc's Lace Wood is my main axe. Staying off the Class Ds for a while and loving it's character.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 10:15 

Quote:
I never experiment with parts and never A/B with gear. I build and listen.

Its the way to be really just build and listen.
However its interesting to pick a particular amp and try to wring the living daylights out of it. :D

Its how I learn and you can discover some very strange anomalies.
Synergy is a distraction that from the point of a production run is an interesting first build, but then cost constraints come in and product acceptance factor i.e. mass appeal.

However I like to look at esoteric builds and try to see what is going on.
I.e. why do some amps sound so good and others don't. Many say its just the circuit, however what happens when you try to build some equipment and then find it doesn't sound as good as the real thing.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 18:06 
Project Author

I guess I start with a schematic based on the power tube I wish to build with then pick the components I would like to use. I base my builds on tube and component choices then comes layout. When the amp is finished it will sound like the sum of the parts, hopefully more of a synergy. Therefore I don't swap components looking for something else. It is what it is.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 13:19 

Just out of curiosity,

What do you base the parts choice on?
Electrical characteristics>>then...

Ie I guess you have listened to the change between polycarbonate, polypropylene, or polyester.
Paper oil, polyester oil, Mica etc.

I personally like carbon film resistors they have less glare than metal film.
However the Hisssssss can be an issue in some parts of a circuit and especially at high gain.
This is the problem when people get old kit then rip it all out and fit modern components then the magic is often gone.
A bit like fitting upgraded suspension to a classic car, its a balancing act performance vs feel.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 17:35 
Project Author

Strangely I base my descision on mode. How the mode takes me. Possibly nothing scientific. I just say "I'm got g to use Audio Note ten foil caps in this build" or "I have some orange drops I liked to use here" etc.

My Black Lace is a good example where I want to keep everything old school; Russian PIO filter and interstage caps, Carbon film resistors, resin tube sockets, multi-strand hookup wire, 1960 solder with copper in it....

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 17:37 
Project Author

Strangely I base my descision on mood. How the mood takes me. Possibly nothing scientific. I just say "I'm going to use Audio Note tin foil caps in this build" or "I have some orange drops I liked to use here" etc.

My Black Lace is a good example where I want to keep everything old school; Russian PIO filter and interstage caps, Carbon film resistors, resin tube sockets, multi-strand hookup wire, 1960 solder with copper in it....

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 18:33 

Its interesting,

That you like the Black Lace and have used old school ideas.
I must admit I use resin based tube sockets in high gain circuits, the idea is to damp the tube from vibration.
However I use ceramic sockets for power tubes, depends on the heat.

Years ago I remember stereograms sounding interesting and I could never get the depth of sound in new builds.
Even with tantalum resistors the sound still has that characteristic metal film sound, although much better.
However they don't work well with some poly caps.
I'm quite surprised at the impact of the cathode resistors.

You see loads of people tube rolling "why"?
Perhaps it might be better to get the equipment to sound a particular way without massive tube selection.
Could you imagine doing a production run using tube rolling to get it to sound "right".
What happens when the magic tube fails..

Regards
M. Gregg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next