DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 04:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 11:22 

Attachment:
100_0723.jpg
Need some help identifying these green caps. The top one is labeled .22J 100HT. Bottom one is .082J 100HT. I am hopping that the 100 is the volts indicator no clue what the HT is. .22 are the sugnifficant figures, J should be 3 zeros. Not sure what the starting capacitance point is; pico, micro or what.

Please help me.

Thanks,

Alan

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 11:50 
Editor

Hi Alan,
Those are likely Mylar Capacitors. The markings on them do not seem to be standard.
J seems like it would be the tolerance +/-5%
I have never seen the value marked with a decimal.
Typically they are marked 220J=22pF +/-5% or 223J=22nF +/-5%
Sorry, this is not much help.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 11:55 

gmilitano wrote:
Sorry, this is not much help.

Gio.

I am disappointed ;). Of course I am kidding in a big way.

You are supposed to be a help when I am stumped, not be just as stumped. :censored: !!

Thanks for trying. Maybe one of the other Guru's can help us.

Alan

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 12:16 
Editor

I think those may be OEM markings so you may have a hard time figuring it out.
Where were you planning on using them?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 12:37 

Gio,

I was going to post an update but you beat me to it. Very easily could be OEM. They came out of an Altec Lansing Media Sub Woofer. I was going to use them as the bypass caps on my 6t9. Mark's specs call for 50V .22uF caps. I am tempted to try them since they say .22 on them. What do you think?

Alan

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 12:54 
Editor

No way they are 0.22uF ... too small. I am thinking they are 0.0022uF. Where did Mark use the caps? 50V seems low.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 13:19 

gmilitano wrote:
No way they are 0.22uF ... too small. I am thinking they are 0.0022uF. Where did Mark use the caps? 50V seems low.

Gio,

I can't fool you. Although, I was not really trying. I went from memory, I just rechecked the schematic, and the Voltage should be 100. Mark did spec these as .22 (I think for better base response). The space on the board is not very large. They mount in C101. Very small space when compared to C102 on the PCB.

I have some of the Paper in Oil Caps that Uriah sent me but not sure I want to use those yet.

Alan

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 13:48 
Editor

Ok, C101 is the input (DC blocking) cap. C101 and C102 should be decent quality caps. A generic 0.22uF polypropylene would be a reasonable choice for C101. Ri sent me some of those PIO caps as well and they would not be wasted if you used them for C101. They may be a tight fit, but if you can get them in, that is the perfect application for them.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 14:20 

gmilitano wrote:
Ri sent me some of those PIO caps as well and they would not be wasted if you used them for C101. They may be a tight fit, but if you can get them in, that is the perfect application for them.

Gio,

Tight fit is an understatement. I thought the board looked messy now. It will look like the bride of freakin' Frankenstein after I add those to it. I'll give it a go and report back with pics. Thanks for the help.

Alan

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 20:49 
Project Author

Cool! Glad you will give them a try. They will work in that situation. I think its probably perfect for them. Made a positive difference in sound for me.
Actually now that I think about it thats not where I used them, so now I am really interested to hear your impressions.
Ri