DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 08:43 

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking for best discrete regulator for my PCM1793. Does any one here has an experience to built its ? I look for 5 Vdc and 3.3 Vdc. Many thanks before.

Arie

Salam,
Arie

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 02:06 

Hello All,

I plan to build low drop regulator for my DAC or my preamp with maximum load up to 500mA. After several reading about voltage reference, I'd rather prefer to using Infrared LED due to less noise (0.22uV) at maximum current (@20ma).

Please check this threath .... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/35821-some-noise-measurements-leds-zener-diodes.html

So this is my schematic on electronic simulator. Seems working well. The cct can be working with 10 - 22 Vin to produce 5.1 Vout at 500mA.
Attachment:
LED - LDO 5V Regulator.JPG

The firts step is CCs (base on Rod Elliot schematic) to feed current about 20mA to five IR Led as voltage reference. The second is regulator (with BD139) with 5.87 Vref.

So because I'm really newbie :D and goes to crazy :bawling: about all audio things I need somebody to help me to make corrections on my cct.

Many thanks before... :up:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Salam,
Arie

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 20:34 
Project Author

Hi, My thoughts are ...why do it the hard way. Use a pair of LM317s and set them for what ever you want. A modest cap up front of the pair and some polys and electrolytics on the output side. The supposed noise they make is typically orders of magnitude lower than what ever they are hooked up to. A keep it simple design. If you need lower current use one of the low power variants or a LR8 type.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 22:06 

Hi Bruce ... Thanks for comments.

Since I know a little about electronic things... seems I goes to crazy... :P even I'm really newbie....
I think its same like a cooking.... We can't judge some ingredients of food before we can try to cook and eat it. :D And its really fun for me...

I read this article http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise3_e.html about listening test for several discrete voltage regulator. And the conclusion (like your point) .... the simple is better. Zener + Emitter Follower CCt is very low noise.

So, I think I can replacing Zener with LED due to more less noise. My CCt actually base on that. Just replacing Zener with IR LED and add CCS to limitting 20 mA for 5 string IR LED (Vf. 1.17).

What do you think Bruce ?

Many thanks for your support...

Salam,
Arie

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 01:33 

redsky wrote:
... I think I can replacing Zener with LED due to more less noise...

Salam, Arie.
Firstly, true, an LED is less noisy than a zener, however, not by much. Additionally, LEDs inherently do inject high frequency noise that can "color" your audio product. This can be handled with a small capacitor of, say, 47nF to 100nF. But, in the end, I'm afraid I must agree with Bruce, simpler is better. You can't get much more simple than the LM117/317, LR8 or similar type regulator devices. They have exceptionally low noise figure and you only need 2 or 3 components TOTAL. The LM117T/317T can handle 500mA easily as it is designed to handle up to 1.5A (with appropriate thermal support).

Cheers!

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 11:20 

Les wrote:
But, in the end, I'm afraid I must agree with Bruce, simpler is better.

Hi Les thanks for comments.

I do believe too... the simpler is better. :D . Now, how about to simplify my CCT ...? :idea: I think I still prefer to using LED as voltage reference... Can you help me... ?

Terima kasih banyak....

Salam,
Arie