My audiophile buddy, Dave, started to experiment with DC blockers based on the simple ccts. found here: http://sound.westhost.com/articles/xfmr-dc.htm
. He claims he got good results with one but because he had monoblocks built two for better results. He now would not go without them.
Because this is such a simple project and one which may reap huge sonic rewards, I gave myself an afternoon to put one together. Dave used a design which places the caps in parallel. Because I could not get exactly the caps I wanted from where I work I went for the "Recommended Design" toward the end of the article. I managed to get the cap size, 4700uf and settled for 50V versions. The caps should see no more than a few volts. The rec. bridge I used can handle 35A. To give this build (as with all of mine there must be a kicker or a twist) the Houston twist I added a basic RFI\EMI 10A filter. For some protection I added a 10A slow blow fuse and easy accessible fuse holder. Also another choke around the input lead.
All my power amps for the last few years have power filters built in (same as in this built) but my Oppo and preamps etc do not. Now thew do. I purchased all my parts the day before (AU$35 for me) and assembled and tested it in a single afternoon. Very satisfying to get a project out so quickly. I had purchased an enclosure which proved useless lucky I had a few ones in "da lab" I could chose from. So here is my build. I know Gio has covered this subject before and hopefully will add some links to this post.
Neat build of I say myself: