DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 22:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012, 13:24 

After disconnecting 125vac, would the power supply capacitors in the diagram below provide enough dc current to power the amp for a second? If so, why couldn't we just kill the headphones with a switched relay? To keep it simple for the user can I use a dpdt switch to control both mains voltage and 12vdc? would this work for a power off solution?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 23:33 

johnbokc wrote:
After disconnecting 125vac, would the power supply capacitors in the diagram below provide enough dc current to power the amp for a second? If so, why couldn't we just kill the headphones with a switched relay? To keep it simple for the user can I use a dpdt switch to control both mains voltage and 12vdc? would this work for a power off solution?

I do not recomend put the 125vac on switch with the amp for security reasons (you can use a separate switch for this). The off delay work like a "standby" circuit, it must be energized to function.
If you are using the delay I posted, use this way:
Hand draw sorry the quality... :blush:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013, 15:42 

Hi, first post here, stumbled upon this thread with Google. I have a good solution for this...

This circuit is a bit old by now and if I find some time I shall edit it a little with mosfets instead the NPN transistors. Also it was designed for a specific amplifier that turns on by connecting one status pin (MUTE+SLEEP) to ground. The same point can be used to ground a relay that turns any amplifier on. The point is that it always first turns the amplifier on, then the speakers and vice versa. Nice feature is that the speaker relay transistor can also be pulled down by a protection trigger circuit, to ensure the speakers will also be disconnected if the amplifier senses a problem.

Here you can see it functioning with two leds, this was built on a breadboard to test just after I designed the circuit:

I found this website when I was looking at various delay circuits. Most delay circuits don't reset properly, or not at all. You can also make one that properly does that without the need of a 555 timer. Here's another circuit I more recently designed:

The latter circuit only provides turn on delay, while the first one does a 1-2,2-1 sequence. Both can be very interesting for audio, even a little time delay on can prevent the fuses from blowing when all equipment is turned on at once.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013, 16:57 

Redrawn the top circuit a bit to make it more general to be used with any amplifier:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013, 18:14 
Project Author

Hi, This may have been covered already...but why not use a type 555 IC to do the chores. A dual one could allow for different delay on and delay off times. Nice thing is they are source voltage independent within their ratings so fluctuations in the supply voltage to them won't upset the time delays.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 03:42 

I am building a power amp a Naim Nap140 clone. This has the output protection stripped off to improve sound quality. Also I want to stop switch on/off thump. After much research I decided that the protection chip C1237HA offers the neatest solution. This operates a relay after a delay and also senses output for DC and then will disconnect. Usually this is used to connect the speakers via a relay. This protects the speaker from dc, but offers no protection to the amplifier.
I am wondering whether configuring this to delay the connection of the power supply to the amplifier might be a better solution. As the chip provides a 'latch' option there is no danger of the amp being turned on/off continually in the event of a fault. Using it like this would protect the amp and the speakers.
I am wondering if anyone has tried this. Also can anyone provided an explanation as to why this approach rather than using a relay to switch the speakers in/out is not more widely practiced.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 18:28 

Thanks to all for your interests and inputs !

My solution has for a long time been two contacts, to solve the problem. One to on/off power and another to on/off the headphones. Turning on power go from left to right contact and turning off, go from right to left contact ....very simple.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 09:39 

Hi Kramme,
All photos have disappeared from this thread. Any chance you could put them up again as I would like to add this delay circuit into future amp builds.