DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 13:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 21:20 

Hi all,
After many topics that refers to a bulb tester so im curious to what that is,
understand that is a essential tool to test amps and stuff to prevent a meltdown :o in case of wrong
placed or defective component.
please someone give me a quick explain what it is so i can build one.

Regards
Kjell.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 15:52 
Editor

Notes for a Dim Bulb (lightbulb) Tester are here: http://www.antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

And here is a video explaining the light bulb tester:

Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 16:16 

Hi and Thank you Gio,
having hard to understand and believe that so simple tool can be so extremely useful :)
now i gonna try to find a neat box for my light bulb tester.

Regards
Kjell.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 11:26 
Project Author

Glad you posted a question about this circuit. It can save lives and amps and is to easy to not use.
Should be a sticky topic!
Uriah

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 11:39 

Trouble is with lamps.... the have a pretty low filament resistance when cold which goes high when hot... the only good thing lamps can be used for is discharging high voltage smoothing capacitors in tube equipment and switch-mode power supplies, we're talking 240V 15w -100 Watt lamps here.... as well as providing light.

All depends on what you are testing with bulbs, all they tell you is yeah and neigh there is voltage there, think about it there may be voltage there OK but may well be a high resistance joint making the bulb not to light.... this can lead you a merry go round.

Gonna shoot myself in the foot here - A firm had some 12V 35 W halogens going cheap so I bought some to build a dummy load for a 20+ Amp power supply testing - I mounted two strips of connector blocks on a bit of wood and wired two groups of 6 in parallel...

... I then could either run the two groups in series on 24V or parallel them to increase the power, even one bank at 12V was highly illuminating lol... tell you what, they don't half produce some heat.

I did have a snag, the filament resistance was so low it tripped the power supplies, so the knack was to 'soft start' em.... wire a 1 ohm or 0.5 ohm power resistor in series with them and as soon as they glowed a little short it out before the filament cooled....! Well, I mean it's a darn sight cheaper than buying a proper dummy load and you can see it working!

Dave

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 13:10 
Editor

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. In this case the light bulb tester is used as a sort of variac, but the primary purpose is to identify short circuits in the equipment (typically old tube gear). The resistance of the light bulb limits the voltage that will reach the equipment. By increasing the bulb, you can increase the power to the equipment. Good for checking out old tube gear or new projects for a short.
Cheers, Gio

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 18:50 

Quote:
(Dim bulb tester)

Someone wants to test me? :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 20:32 
Project Author

At last!!!!! I can unleash my evil tester in a thread I did not create!!!!!!! :lildevil:

I can show you many more uses for this thing other than providing a bit of mommentary light!

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 21:18 
Project Author

Okay Crazy,,
Whats up with all the jacks ?
What can we do with your version that we can not with the original. Do tell!
Ri

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 22:29 
Editor

Geek wrote:
Someone wants to test me? :mrgreen:

It's for a different kind of dim and short! ;)