DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 05:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gio's Audio Rooms
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 20:53 
Editor

A (dark) photo of the main listening room.

Attachment:
AN-Classic-5-OB-Stereo.jpg

The fullrange unit is a Audio Nirvana Classic 5". The Bass units are Eminence Alpha 15A in an H-Frame. A pair of oddblocks drive the top end and a DIY Pass F5 for the bottom. The XO is an Ashly XR1001. The XO point is 300 Hz. The in-room response is shown below.

Attachment:
AN-Classic-5+Eminence-Alpha-15A-fr.jpg

The baffle step rise occurs from about 400 to 700 Hz. The hole between 200 and 400 is related to the XO point and baffle step. A lower XO sounds better but the hole gets bigger. This has me thinking that I may be able to get better performance with an active 3-way crossover so I can set two different XO points for the woofer and the fullrange driver. Fortunately the Ashly unit I got is 2-way stereo / 3-Way mono, so the upgrade to 3-Way stereo would require another unit and they are not expensive. Based on the plots and different XO points I tried, my gut tells me the 5" fullrange should have an XO point of about 100Hz and the 15" about 300Hz. With the right slope that should fix the hole.

I'm not sure if I should get another of the analog ashly units or perhaps try a digital crossover like a DCX2496?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.