DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 09:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ten Years of Change
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2016, 16:27 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, What was your system like 10 years ago? I was looking over some old photos and it sort of struck me as how many things have changed in the last ten years with respect to my system. I had some very nice stuff BTW. I was using a Dual 701 turntable with a Grado Gold, a Marantz 2250 (with a 1060 and 2265 for backups) a pair of home grown speakers that had Lafayette 15 inch triaxials inside. CDs spun in a $100 DVD player and tape was via a Harmon kardon CD391 (a really nice unit). All in all probably a few notches above the average level. The photo was taken about 6 months later and some stuff had already been changed out.
Attachment:
System Summer 2006.jpg

Now I have 5 turntables, an all tube system, electrostatic speakers, powered subs (using the Altec Lansing enclosures that were in the early photo), an Oppo Blue Ray player, an Akai reel to reel, and I still have the HK CD391. In the early photo nearly all the electronics were bought, in the new one nearly all are my own designs. Times change.
Attachment:
System 2016b.jpg

Good Listening
Bruce

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: Ten Years of Change
PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 20:17 
Editor

Looks sweet Bruce. For me, the two standouts are the addition of the computer and the RTR.

Cheers

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 16:51 

10 years ago :eek:

My system was a Linn Sondek LP12 Roksan corus black can't remember what arm I had.
Moth Phono stage.
Epos 14 speakers
Meridian crystal DAC with 206 player.
8 X EL34 amp. 150W per channel
I did have some Tannoy 611 for a while.. :eek: <<25 feet apart at that time (Bi-wired).
I had an FM tuner Sony I think. Oh and tape from Nakamichi LOL you forget about cassette.

Now it just gets adapted to whatever takes my fancy mainly films and music via:
Cyrus CD,
Alpair 7 metal changed to paper cone.
Ipod dock
The meridian DAC modified gets used with the doc.
Various tube amps.
OTL was in for a while the amps get rotated when I get bored. LOL
I stream internet radio when I get bored and use a lindy to stream from the computer when I'm working.
(Can't be bothered to get up to change music over)
Couple of years ago it looked like this film biased OTL back room system:
Its changed quite a lot since then.

Talking about room acoustics.
This is the problem with voicing an amp to a room. Move the system to another room and it sounds rubbish.
This is the problem with bypass caps and feedback tweaking.
You only need to listen in a washroom and then the lounge.
Imagine running your system in a washroom..LMAO

I had a loft full of speakers for a while LMAO it just gets crazy.

Regards
M. Gregg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 21:27 
Project Author

Hi, Great solar flares. I keep my flat screen behind a very heavy piece of carpet as the screen is highly reflective and the Martin Logans make great use of it if it isn't covered. The amp looks cool.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 02:13 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, Great solar flares. I keep my flat screen behind a very heavy piece of carpet as the screen is highly reflective and the Martin Logans make great use of it if it isn't covered. The amp looks cool.

Good listening
Bruce

Yes regarding rear reflection (carpet),

I had a choice when I built the speakers of front or rear porting so I used front porting to reduce the effect because I wanted to put them close to a wall.

They are (Slim Classic GR dMar-Ken7 0v91) I built them with help from Planet 10.
The most awkward bits were the speaker recess and the front side chamfers.
(Something that wasn't in my system 10 years ago<< :D )

One of the things that interest me about these speakers is, I always want to change stuff and never settle with anything but I have never had the urge to change these speakers (strange). There is nothing worse than a system that will play music with great impact to find films sound bloated or bass heavy and boom/thump bass. Headache<<when the TV speakers sound better there is something very wrong. Surly a good system can represent any audio well, however some are biased to boom boom shake the room, which is great in the right place. Perhaps its not HIFI, but I digress.
Internal pic:

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 04:28 

I guess I should say,

At the moment I'm listening to Born Slippy and Pearls Girl by underworld if you have never heard it its like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNP_eoWYgY. <<So I listen to a very varied cross section.
Not every bodies taste but if the system can't produce a reasonable rendition of deadmouse for want of a better name then its out. LMAO.
Then its followed by Mary Black:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvABIMOkaGQ

I listen to soul, classical, rock, pop, anything that takes my fancy.
The point is it should all be listenable YMMV.<< everything from Zepplin to 1930/1940's (Glenn Miller) and its this that leaves me in the cold with most systems. Members of the family will play whatever they like and its very varied.
I have listened to so many systems that seem to be music type dependent, its a bit like room acoustics and tweaking a system to sound good in a room>>>take it into another house for a laugh and feel the despair. Yes I have tweaked a system and done this, don't you feel for the people at demonstrations (think about it).

I talked to a sound engineer at a disco once I was about the fifth person in early<<it sounded rubbish I asked the engineer whats happened to the bass there isn't any. He said the room is going to change the people will change the sound keep listening as the room fills up. Such is the venue and acoustics and we think we have problems. :D

Regards
M. Gregg