DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 17:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Vinyl
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 16:50 
Project Author

I just received a two box set (possibly of about 50 box sets) from Franklyn Mint "100 Greatest Greatest Recordings Ever" still in the shrink rap from 1981. Some recording go back to the 40s but all outstanding recordings on plum coloured vynil. All classical. Off the planet recordings but the pressings are a bit noisy.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2015, 22:11 

I stopped into Hastings today at lunch...

Picked Up New:
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Doors - Morrison Hotel
Foo Fighters - Greatest Hits....

That was expensive.. I went in there for storage sleeves... ooops

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2015, 20:45 
Project Author

Yeah, Hastings is not the cheapest place. If you can get to a ZIA Record Exchange (some that I know of are in Tucson and Phoenix) they are really a great place for vinyl and all the other formats as well. Both new and used stuff.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 01:25 

Hi,

Thought I might throw my 2 cents worth in here too.
Some may remember Michael Hedges, and his sounds too.

If anyone wants to hear a nice quality acoustic guitar recording on vinyl, I must recommend some records that were used in the early 80s to demo high end Audio gear at high end Hi-Fi retailers. Michael hedges; "Aerial Boundaries" and "Breakfast in the field".
Breakfast in the field is a treat for nice amps and speakers, as it's a natural acoustic recording, dry, using 2 X AKG overhead condenser mics (I forget the model designation).

Aerial Boundaries is something else indeed. Hedges outdid himself on this record, with a Grammy Nomination for this outing.
His signal path of both Magnetic and Piezo pickups, blended with Mics is something few have ever achieved before or since.
Alternate tunings and guitar string selection enabled him to venture outside the bounds of conventional guitar playing.

The music itself may not be new, but a lot of the vinyl is still wrapped as new, that stuff I got was.
Cheap "Promotional only" copies that were sent out to Hi-Fi stores for speaker demos are around the place, I found mine on Musicstack (and subsequently found a nice local vinyl retailer) for a song. The compositional merit of these songs is still lived out today, with students posting covers of these songs almost daily on youtube.
Music shows it has stood the test of time when people come back to it and dedicate years to learning to play the compositions.

I've made 24-96k flac copies of these recordings through my Tascam recording gear and playback through a nice DAC, but nothing beats the vinyl (New Old Stock), as-is, straight into Sennheiser HD 250 Linear headphones, or nice monitors.
Highly recommended for use as a speaker of headphone reference recording, once you get to know it.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 08:35 
Project Author

Hi, I agree. I got a copy of the "Breakfast in the field" about two years ago at a used record store for $1. Pristine. The sound takes a bit to get used to, but is pretty much as described by SatTech.

There is some nice acoustic guitar in a surprising place on another of my LP. The track "Maybe I'm Right" on the Linda Ronstadt LP is really good. You can hear the dreadnought quite clearly.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 17:20 
Project Author

For us,in Victoria Australia, Quality Records is the place for new and used vinyl. Re-issues and 180gm pressings etc. I have bought a ton from them including 24 Opera box sets.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 23:53 

Thanks for that lead MWHouston,

Very interesting...
Not the first time your posts have led to excellent resources and I should take the opportunity to thank you.
Many of your recommendations and posts here have found their way into my listening rig.
(NTFS formatted USB storage & hubs for HD audio etc, also a few amp build decisions and layout ideas too)

There are very few Vinyl retailers left in South Australia and rarely a bargain to be had either. (I like the bargain bin!)
I found a really good seller in Clem at "Crypt Records" for Australia too: http://crypt-records.musicstack.com/
This business is mail order only, but I've got to put forward the recommendation.
This is where I got my Michael Hedges vinyl supply from.

Not only were Clem's LP records entirely as described; pristine, the owner had actually taken the time to monitor them before sending them out and noted in an email to me, some very subtle musical differences in arrangements between different performances that only a very experienced listener will have picked up. The prices were good, contact fast and the packaging second to none.
It's been a few years since I've fired up the turntable (my main one died), or ordered anything from Clem, but you guys have me chomping at the bit for another direct drive turntable. What with all these 1980s ones I have in broken down condition, I might have to buy new :eek:

I'm sounding like an ad, apologies, his feedback speaks for itself.
I have no commercial interest to disclose, but when someone like myself takes the time to build and record with my own amplifiers and stringed instruments, I was just overjoyed to find a seller that takes interest in the music as seriously as I.
That's what we're all in this for after all!

Cheers.