DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 16:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Vinyl
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 22:16 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I just made a pilgrimage to one of the Tucson stores that handle new and used vinyl (ZIA Record Exchange). Well worth the trip today. They now have a 99 cent section for used LPs. I figured they would be junk or badly worn. Not so. I bought 17 today. I played 6 of them and they were in the VG to Excellent range. I didn't even have to clean any of them. One more though was clearly in need of cleaning. I got some neat ones..... Jazz, Folk, Easy listening. One that was a big surprise was a copy of the Village Stompers "Washington Square". Really clean and a genuine toe tapper, only 50 years old. Amazing banjos and sax in that one. This adds to the bunch I got on a recent trip to San Antonio. Several pristine LPs. A copy of Barbara Streisand's first LP was near mint. Stunning vocals. The record jacket on that one said she was a 20 year old that could well become great. Also roughly 50 years ago. I guess they were right.

Good listening
Bruce

Post subject: Re: New Vinyl
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 23:03 

Score :up:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 10:11 
Project Author

Hi, I have listened to most of the 17 new LPs now and have concluded....they made really good recordings back in the 1960-1970 time period. I was listening to an Al Hirt LP from 1964 this morning and the background was at least as quite as any Mofi or Org I have recently purchased and the quality music was equally excellent. This is on a used 50 year old LP. The trumpet was absolutely on par with some stuff from Chris Botti on the Blue Ray disks. So much for progress. I suppose we should be grateful that new disks are being made.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 19:12 
Project Author

Bruce I have found the same that music from the mid 60's to mid 70's is some of the best music ever recorded. And if it is DECCA even better. After saying that I just listened to a Telefunken recording with period instruments which was utterly dreamy. It can be great fun working through a pile of new LPs. I'm on the last tub of 600 classical LPs I was given.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 01:39 

gofar99 wrote:
I suppose we should be grateful that new disks are being made.

Yeahhhhh, welllll.......... it pays to be picky.

I bought Adele's "21" LP. Nice 180g audiophile pressing.

PTHHHHBBBBBBT! :P :(

Whatta waste of $30 - 3 bottles of wine worth :bawling:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 02:47 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
gofar99 wrote:
I suppose we should be grateful that new disks are being made.

Yeahhhhh, welllll.......... it pays to be picky.

I bought Adele's "21" LP. Nice 180g audiophile pressing.

PTHHHHBBBBBBT! :P :(

Whatta waste of $30 - 3 bottles of wine worth :bawling:

I downloaded a CD of hers from iTines, about a year ago. I think I've played half the CD in total.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 03:08 

I snagged the lossless on Usenet. Very impressed! It was a Blu-Ray audio rip :smoking:

One has to be a fan of hers to appreciate.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 13:36 
Project Author

Hi, Just visited my favorite vinyl stores and came away with around 15 more disks. Some pristine and some well not so. Still most were 49 cents. You can't even get a cup of coffee for that. What I have been seeing is probably related to owners giving up on vinyl or just dying off and the LPs ending up in the food chain. Anyone in the western US ought to see if there is a ZIA record exchange store near them. They have many new and used LPs and most are in rather good condition - cheap as well for the used stuff. I also got a HDCD of Beck for grins....rather interesting and some parts pretty good. The effects he uses can give sub woofers a bit of a workout.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 19:16 
Project Author

I have a huge rock\pop collection from my youth and now a huge collection of classical and opera from current tastes. I drew a line in the sand a few years or so back, no more second hand LPS. I find about a 50% hit rate of well playable vinyl. For me now, new or nothing. But it sounds like you scored some good ones.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 16:18 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, I just got to listen to an LP I snagged for 50 cents.

The Sounds of the Exotic Guitars
Ranwood RS-1

Truly an excellent example of the late 60's early 70's guitar work. It kind of puzzled me though so I Googled it. It is a not for sale promotional copy. Ranwood was bought out by Lawrence Welk and there is clearly some influence in the LP. I mean where would some folks with guitars find a back up orchestra? Extremely clean LP (NM), very quiet on heavy vinyl. Well mastered. Great guitar playing, only effects that I noticed were some sustain and in one track a minor amount of fuzz. The only copies for sale that I found were $15 for a used one and $74 for a still in wrapper. Not a bad deal for 50 cents.

Good listening
Bruce