DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 08:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 22:13 

This really isn't a tube thingy "but it could be". A few years ago and the need for another project. A mic, for room measurement (to match a 20x20 blue led spectrum analyzer) and stand, came up. This is what i ended up with. I started out using Canar Cable but it took complete control of the mics position so i opted for a smaller cable when one presented itself to me. The cct comes off the net and includes well regulated PS for the mic and overdrive indicator for both neg + pos excurtions using a qaud op-amp. The barrel is made of scrap aluminum tubing from an old cloths drying rack + a piece of 1/2" sq alu. The rods come from a rash of throw away printers and scanners while living in that area. Base is Beech wood and the body pieces are walnut.
I still have this and it is as sturdy as any mic stand i have seen. The support blocks are 1" square and the holes i drilled where very precision for the rods. This one is the sec i made,the first did not work out so well i am afraid. Tad bit off in the drilling. But this one raises and lowers like silk. The height is about 42" if mem serves.
Anyone else doing things like this in here.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 09 May 2014, 23:37 

Genius! :wizard:

And stylin' :smoking:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 03:09 

To spite the way the errrr PCB looks. The noise from the mic is non. Dead quiet. And will last as long or longer than a pcb since there are no foil tracks. The amount of miniaturization achieved using wired parts was my seed. What is needed are patients and not minding, walking cross eyed for few days after.

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 02:27 

laurie54 wrote:
To spite the way the errrr PCB looks. The noise from the mic is non.

Nothing wrong with that style at all!

Matter of fact, the ugliest design of all is no PCB ("dead bug" or "Manhattan" style) is the lowest of noise, lowest of capacitance and good for tens of GHz 8-)

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 21:28 
Project Author

Hi, Very elegant. What was the mike? What program are you using to verify the room response?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 04:53 

HI Bruce thank you nice complement. (I'm just showing off a bit) The mic element is a Panasonic bought from Digi-Key. I can't remember the # but i will say my inspiration came from Rod Elliott's ESP sight. I bought due to suggested flat freq response. Since the analyzer had tested flat using direct sig gen i assumed it ,with the mic would give decent results together. And they do. For now though, the EQ for correcting errors is out of the system, the analyzer is off due to headaches and everything looking purple after a while, and the mic is put into it's drawer as it collects dust otherwise. A fun project but in the end i rely on my ears and senses more than any machine.

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 16:26 
Project Author

Hi, Ears need to be the final judge. If you like what you hear then all is well.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 20:39 

For the second time today, i say,"honestly", I loved the sound. Then i built my first tube amp. Which opened up a whole new listening experience that i was always trying to find with SS but never feeling it. The difference between listening to the music and being at the concert.
Now I'm thinking about the Class A SS's I have running the main system and how KT88's or 6L6's or, or, or, + 10 other projects. AS hooked as a dead fish I am..