DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 22:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 13:38 

I had a demo of the Nakamichi cassette unit years ago,

The demo involved playing a roksan dp1 through a counterpoint DAC and recording the playback with the Nakamichi.
Then the output to the system was switched back and fourth between the CD and the Nakamichi and you couldn't tell them apart not even tape hiss gave it away. That's why I bought one but its been a along time ago now. Probably the best cassette player I have ever heard.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 18:49 
Project Author

While setting up my Pi music servers over the last many months, my poor old TT is not getting a show. Hey, Bruce, branch off and get yourself a Pi music server. Happy to give some advice should you need it. With a good DAC they really sound stunning.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 21:06 
Project Author

Hi Mark, perhaps one day. After I listen to all the music I already have. There is something satisfying about vinyl and even CDs as they require listener interaction. Cloud based music or even your own music on a local PC tends to make it less involving and more likely (at least in my experience) to become background music. I ran into this when I used to have satellite music. Not as high quality as the new stuff (which has IMO become quite excellent) but it became something to have going on while I was doing something else (like reading, building something etc). Having to actually do something physically to make the music play (like putting on the LP, dusting it and so on) forces involvement and makes me sit up and actually listen to it. Just my 2 cents.

Good Listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 21:23 
Project Author

I download DSD64 and 24/192 files. Internet radio is just background for me also.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 02:25 

I find this conversation very interesting,

Music interaction, could it be a thing of the past?
Or is it that life is now to fast to allow time to sit back and just be.
I remember thinking the other day as I was listening to some music and it went dark outside, I left the light off and just listened.
It has been quite a while since I watched the sunset and twilight with music.

On the interaction bit:
That's why I use ITunes on the computer OK its not the best but I like album covers.
I think life is changing but you can't quite put your finger on why perhaps its just to many factors.
Someone said to me one of the reasons now is for a fraction of the cost you can buy a music system that would have been world beating twenty years ago, perhaps they have a point. The cost of playing a format at a high level is cheaper now compared with a top flight TT years ago.

Super-fi for the masses I think that's called progress.
If you own a classic car you can see it easily, sometimes its hard to believe how rubbish some things actually were until you open up something like an old 1970's computer with its phenolic PCB's.>>compare to modern surface mount technology.

Could you imagine going back in time with an Ipad to even something like 1950.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 09:39 
Project Author

Hi, Yes I am rather certain that the way music fits into our lives now is changing. In several ways for the better, but in the process the focus or purpose is also changing. We do indeed have a "high speed" culture now. It tends to be at odds with relaxation and anything that is not of the "instant action" type of behavior. I don't find myself wishing for "past simpler times". They are remembered (at least IMO) as being better than they really were. I like being able to jump into a vehicle and not wondering if it would start. I like access to over 100 TV channels in clean digital color. And contrary to what my daughters think I like cell phones (they do not rule my life though). Still, I find the activity of listening to music involving and relaxing. On mornings that I don't jog first thing at dawn, I'll put on a disk and sip coffee for a few hours. It is dead quiet at that time and usually I only have on the the turntable and system work lights. A really pleasant time to enjoy and reflect on the better things of life. Maybe it is tied to getting older, maybe not, but I sure like it now.

All this is a bit OT, but then it is my topic..... 8-)

Good listening
Bruce