DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 19:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 23:56 
Project Author

Staring at the top and working down.

Phono preamp - OPAMP based, Rega Planar3 and RB300 arm with Grado wood body reference cartridge.

BoZSE on Oppo BDP-83SE (with WWW and Silver Highway I/C).

3W 6AS7 based SET and Osborn Eclipse speakers.

And finally a NOS collection of Opera Box sets.

Now you have my audio-life.
Attachment:
MySystem2011ss.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 12:11 

Very nice.

LOL awesome opera mask on the right Osborn speaker !! :D

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 19:08 
Project Author

We picked up the masks in Florence a few years back. They never got hung-up.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 01:56 
Project Author

Main listening area with new Oatley/Mongrel Dog Audio K303 phono preamp Red Case and retro-thermionic 4S MKIV Universal preamp. Very pleased with both pieces of gear.
Attachment:
Gearss.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 18:28 
Project Author

A couple of changes here. Firstly the big Osborn 3-way speakers have moved aside for the 2-way VoXDeuX, speaker cable is all Cat5 and finally I have put the Shuguang 50 year treasure 300B-Zs back in the silver Dragon for a listen. Still very nice.

In the next few days a friend and I will swap-out TJ Full music, 300B-Z and some other Chinese 300B tubes. We are hoping to eval. the tubes, one against the other. I will report the result.
Attachment:
system2013.jpg

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 06:19 
Project Author

My audio buddy, Dave and I spent the afternoon comparing three 300Bs. My TJ Full Music Carbon Plate SEs and also my Shuguang 300B-Z (black glass) 50 Year Treasures and Dave's Audio Space 300B. We played five different music styles and played 1:30m of each. The tubes were inserted cold and had 5mins to warmup once the standby was thrown.

The 300B-Z are very good tubes and for about AU$350 a pair I would recommend them if you just wanted something a little better than a cheap 300B. But the TJs were easily better. Bigger, fuller sound, better sound stage better musical flow. You felt you were getting all on the disc and from the performance. Dave's Audio Space were very good and possibly better than the 300B-Zs but once more the TJs just had the finer edge on the music.

Though the TJs RRP is US$1200 I have managed to buy two pairs for AU$650 each pair. They are close to twice the price of the 300B-Zs. It is hard to justify the price difference but the TJs really are extremely good.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 00:46 
Project Author

Here is my current temporary system based around Intermezzo the UX-171-A amp. The preamp on the left is a 4SUniversal with BoZ driver stage and speakers Fostex FE206En in Double bass reflex. Music is blue toothed from my iPadII to a Belkin audio blue tooth receiver. It all works very well. The iPad has a cirrus logic 24B\96K DAC so quality is up there.

I have been a bit hard on this amp of late but maybe all the time it was the BoZ preamp which wasn't letting Intermezzo really deliver what it could. Now with a 4SUTea tube preamp (a Suncalc design) heading up the pre-amplification things are sounding a lot better. Also this preamp never really had a lot of hours on it because soon after completion I built a 6N7 preamp then a C3m. Also the new BoZ driver section was new. Now the preamp has had about twenty or so hours on it and the new 12AU7 - Gold Lion is all settling in. The output caps are 10uf polies these also needed lots of hours to settle. Well I feel this set-up is now really delivery.

I just spent a couple of hours listening to Handels Il Trionfo del Tempo a recent recording of some 53 tracks. On closing my eyes I had no trouble believing I was there. Soundstage was perfectly rendered and voices were the right size and in the right place on stage. Orchestra well specially right and hall reverb perfect. This is an excellent recording and as I said with eyes closed I was in the front row with a large box of popcorn. I have a much greater respect for this little 1/2W amp now.
Attachment:
SsyetmII.jpg

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 19:01 
Project Author

On another thread I have logged the development and construction of a pair of stereo sub-woofers and electronic Xover (EXover) to compliment my 2-ways VoXDeuX. Here are some images of the two boxes together.
Attachment:
P5072316.JPG
Attachment:
P5072318.JPG

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 03:04 
Project Author

Some shots of Intermezzo (UX-171A) with Fostex FE206En in a back-loaded horn and Oppo BDP-95, 4S-Universal single stage preamp with BoZ backend. All wire-wrap wire inter-connects and speaker wire.

Exceedingly transparent.
Attachment:
InSystemIntermezzo.jpg
Attachment:
InSystemIntermezzo_II.jpg

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 18:29 
Project Author

I have just proved that this amp is de-amping. For 6Vpp in I'm getting 1.3Vpp out. I think the problem started when I started grounding all sorts of parts of the amp to remove a hum. The amp is dead quiet now in fact it is too quiet indicating it is not really amplifying. Not sure what I've earth which is bleeding away the gain but I must find out. I have checked there is 135V on the plate and bias is -37V. The rest I need to measure.

Looking at some past notes for 5V input I was getting 13V out. I didn't expect this amp to have huge gain so these figures look about right. But negative gain? never.

Any suggestions where to look first?