DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 20:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gio's Audio Rooms
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2014, 02:19 
Project Author

Gio: nice simple setup.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2014, 17:52 
Editor

Hi Mark. There is just one input on the Gobo chip amp kit so it is more suited to small setups. It would also work well as a computer desktop amp.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Living Room
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 22:14 
Editor

Here is a shot of my main setup with the DIY FirstWatt F5 amplifier in place. Source is a CDP through a passive preamp. The F5 works real great with the passive 2-way open baffle setup. Very crisp detailed sound that I have been really enjoying.

The audio room is coming down for the holidays and I have big plans for the new year - that is going active! I plan on sticking with an open baffle setup but using a 2-way active crossover and bi-amplification. I've started a thread for the H-Frame Open Baffle Speakers with Eminence Alpha 15A that I'll be working with.
Attachment:
Living-Room-Dec-2014.jpg

Cheers

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 23:31 

Beautiful! :D

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 06:49 
Project Author

Some changes coming then.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 20:56 
Project Author

Hi Gio, Looks good....where's the analog? It begs for a turntable.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 17:57 
Editor

Hi Bruce - No analogue for the time being. A little while ago I took a break from vinyl. It just didn't seem I was going in the right direction and I came to the conclusion I needed big $$$ to get to the level I wanted. I sold the Rega and for the past couple of years I have only been adding high resolution digital albums to my music collection which is now at about 200GB, mostly 24 bit, 88kHz or higher. So for the next little while I plan to stick with CD and Computer sources only while I pursue active crossovers and bi-amplification.

Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 20:54 
Project Author

I have setup a mono rig. The cart is the Grado Prestige ME+ mono a week or do old now). I'm using it on a refurbed Sanyo TT. I' using Bruce's OPAMP based phono preamp. I have four genuine mono LPs. One recorded in 1937, others 1949 and 1957. Really enjoying it.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2014, 22:40 
Project Author

Hi, Sorry to hear you have gone over to the dark side :D . I admit to having some digital stuff around and have a huge collection of CDs and DVDs. As much as I like analog, I believe that the future for all new music and much of the older stuff will be hi-rez digital. At 24/96 and above it is really hard if not impossible in most systems to hear the difference....except it almost always has a quieter background. I rip at 24/96 and 24/192 and then master things in a PC to put back into the analog world. The results are excellent. I don't see myself ever getting out of analog though as I have hundreds of LPs.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2014, 23:39 
Project Author

I also discovered I have a Segovia mono LP recorded before 1949. One side is just him the other him a the London symph. Very good sounding and apart from tape his, A very quiet LP. His acoustic guitar had rich body and a soft tone.

Mono cart and mono LPs, yes a reall throw-back but very enjoyable.