DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 18:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 19:23 

Wow I know alot of you are saying "No Way!"I just listened to the first two tracks of 10,000 Days(Vicariuos and Jambi) and it is awsome.Marantz CD5003>6SN7SRPP Preamp>Simple 2A3>Modified FE206e Folded Back Horns.I know my set up is probably all wrong but Tool will probabably test the limits of any system.Very musical for a newer Rock group.Really cool art work on the covers and liner notes.It comes with a pair of glasses built into the cover and are used two view the liner notes.If you dont do anything else at least down load Jambi for the drum solo and guitar work,just awsome!If you dont like it,turn it up ,maybe your neighbor will! Any body ever hear of them?
David

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 21:04 

Wow I guess I was out on a limb here talkin about some hard rock stuff.Ive got a new girl that works for me at work .She's 18 and was a cheer leader last year in high school.She wanted me to listen a couple of songs in her car after work.So being the gentlemen that I am I had to ablidge her.Got out there and it was all Rap and she new every word.Shes got a cute voice but I just cant stand Rap.Needless to say she didnt like Tool either!I used to think me still liking Rock was my connection with the youth or "Being young at heart".But it just aint that way anymore.I guess I've finally turned into my parents!Rhymming,drum machines and scratching records just doesnt appeal to me but I still like some Rock once in awhile.Real musicians are still important to me.Tool is full of musical talent.A some what aggresive style with a hint of Floyd like melodies.Make shure your up to snuff on your high blood pressure medicine cause some of it is pretty intense.Another thing also occured to me in that car was you dont need the latest high end tube amp topology to reproduce rap music just turn the bass up untll you got everything ratling in the interior of the car and your in buisness!I guess High End DIY Audio will die with us old guys cause I dont see how we will ever attract young people to the hobby listening to Little Wayne,50 Cent and Eminem!
Sorry for the rant...David

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 06:28 
Project Author

Could Tool be the next Pink Floyd? Hmm - i like Tool and i have 4 of their albums which i listen more or less often. My favourite album is "Lateralus".
On the 5 last tracks you can really hear that Pink Floyd has a great influence to them. Their music is a little psychadelic, but still more on the hard and heavy side.
I can't remember now Pink Floyd ever played drop tuned bass or hard 'n heavy distorted guitar riffs like Tool does. Tool is very musical indeed.
They also can play smooth tracks, not like other modern rock bands as Disturbed or Rise Against (just to name some). Their recordings also are not heavily
compressed or dynamically limited. Tool is cool ;-).

I do not believe that the "modern generation" is not interested in High End Audio anyway. Sooner or later, some of them might get the taste for real HiFi.
I also have some younger people at work (between 23 and 28). They also listen to Hip-Hop and Rap but they start to discover other styles now.
Sometimes, when i listen to my music at work, they ask me what i am listening and they show their interests. I often play singer / songwriter music.
Unni Wilhelmsen, Rebecca Pidgeon, Allan Taylor, Kenny White and so on. That's the kind of music i prefer at work. I know, listening that music at work is
not very audiophile, but it is very relaxing and keeps my mind from getting stressed too much.

I can remember that our guys were not very happy with this kind of music. It was boring, lame and crap they said. Now they become older and start to dislike their Rap.
Now - i don't have super High End speakers at work - just the Logitech X-230 computer speaker set - but they all agree that this is way better than their
boom boxes and low Q mp3 stuff. Some weeks ago, one of this guys aked my to go with him for a HiFi setup.
We went to our HiFi "temple" where i live and he just spend some thousands for a pair KEF IQ90 and a Yamaha AS-1000 + SACD / CD player after hours of comparing some setups. What a turn..
He told me that he is very pleased with this chain and that he didn't regret it. He also said that he ever loved music, but never had the feeling to "listen" and feel the music before.
He now understands about "real" HiFi he said.

My brother Thorsten now is 31 y.o. He was listening electronic / techno (Chemical bros... no more words needed here). He also turned to real HiFi some months ago.
His musical style and understanding in music also has changed a ton. I don't believe that our modern generation can not be cured ;-).
Someone who really loves / likes music doesn't stick with "boom boxes" and rap. Sooner or later he'll discover the possibilities... :2c:

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 07:27 

I have seen Tool show up on lists of both CD and vinyl that is considered great for sound quality, so evidently someone in their camp cares about how things are recorded.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 12:04 

Tom those young people you have working for you offer us a glimmer of hope!The one I've got needs help,she's not a lost cause but I will be working on her in the coming months...David

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 12:13 

Greg what list are you talking about?That could be real helpful in making my musical purchases.Do you ever see Hip Hop or Rap on there?Not that I would buy any,the closest I come is a little Kid Rock and he doesnt do much Rap anymore...David

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 08:18 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/335381/best-au ... ock-albums

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PH ... ic=24359.0

http://www.stereophile.com/category/records-die

The comments about the Tool recordings I have seen have been mostly from forum members, not reviewers, so that is a good thing, I guess. I'm sure "official" reviews are out there too, but sometimes those review people make me want to barf with some of their language and descriptions. I think when I see the same recordings mentioned over and over by true listeners, it will hold more value to me than a review from someone I can't relate to.

If you do a Google search for something like "Audiophile recordings", you'll get a gazillion results.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 19:20 
Project Author

Hey all.

@ Greg - many thanks for the links - also from me. Good to read some other suggestions.

David - maybe she'll change her mind when the years go by. It might be a little subjective, but i've read some articles (online) about modern music stating that "RAP" is not only a music style, but a complex language teens communicate with. Not easy to say... Some like to play RAP cause they can't / won't say what they think... Hmm. Maybe there's a little truth in it.

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 20:32 

Greg those links you sent were great. I love to see what others are listening to.My first love in music was the "Arena Rock" of the late seventies.Then in the eighties I listened to a lot of "Hair Band" ballads and such(My daughter was born in 83 and to this day she calls those hair band ballads the "Classics",Go figure Tom).The early nineties brought a little grunge to me.And then Hip Hop hit and I fell between the cracks.Now my fav is Mississippi Delta and Texas Blues.I listen to other stuff ,Bluegrass,Classical Guitar,Old Country(My Mothers Fav),Big Band and Sinatra(My Fathers Fav).Tool I guess struck a chord with me because it's not some spin master sending a bianary code to a Sub-woofer.Tool uses alot of complex rythyms and melodies that reminds me of Pink Floyd.Not that they could replace Floyd.That would take alot of material!But I do think out of the new groups that I've heard they come the closest.If you listen or used to listen to rock you should give Tool a spin cause it can sound really good on SS or Tube gear!
David

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 09:20 

I really like tool, too.

Another band in the vein of Pink Floyd's listener envelopment, at least in my opinion, would be Primus. Their Hallucino-Genetics Live DVD has great sound. I remember seeing Skywalker Studios having something to do with the sound...

There was summer where we would go out to the bars, then walk home and listen to the H-G disc as loud as would could stand. The louder it got, the better it sounded as more things became apparent. More nuances. (<- Probably my ho-hum system demanding the loud volume! ;) )