DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 11:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 02:41 
Project Author

Today I have genuine proof there is a God. While at Quality Records, about 40mins drive from my place and where I get most of my 180gm pressings (but this time picking up a CD they got in for me), I noticed a Tacet LP. Now this is not just a 180gm modern re-master of a 1958 recording, these are modern recordings pressed in 180gm plastic. But the big difference is all the gear to record, mix, master, mother and press is tube gear. The mics, preamps, mixers, tape machines are all about 1950s refurbished tube gear and the best of the best. I will be picking up another of these LPs in two weeks.

On the back of the LP there is some good info about equipment used and the lengths they went to to insure this recording will be a first-class all tube recording. They also state if you have all tube gear at home you are going to get the very best from the recording. The LP I got is Beethoven #7 with the Polish Chamber Phil. Orch. with Wojciech Rajski. I haven't played it yet (and I do have tube gear) but when I do you will get a report. Take a look at the Tacet site: http://www.tacetrealsurroundsound.com/ and this: http://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?language=en&filename=tubeonly.php&layout=tube

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 16:12 
Project Author

Hi Mark!

Holy crap - this are real damn good records (SACD / CD formats). Thanks a ton for the link Mark (http://www.tacetrealsurroundsound.com/).
I usualy buy my records at JPC from my location (D). Tacet directly linked to JPC, so i took a online listen immediately. Even the low-Q snippets sounded great.

Think i have to place an order soon ;-).

Way cool Mark!

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 19:29 
Project Author

@tombethe: Glad to share the love. I finally got a chance to listen to the LP. Lets get the bad bit out of the way so I can rave about the rest of this auditory experience. The double basses didn't seem to have full weight. I have other recordings where when the basses cut in the floor gives a short rumble from my 3W SET. The upper bass and up (Cellos etc.) came across with full gravity deeply rich sounding and textured. Also the top end may not have as much air or brightness compared to some other recordings. Tube warnth? Not sure.

Now the good bits. The warmth of all that "tubalagation" shines right through this truely beautiful recording. Sound stage is huge and though the instrument placement is not etched in space you have no problems picking strings, woodwinds, cellos, etc. You get the feeling you are sitting way back in the hall and this BIG sound is rolling over you.

The 180gm LP plays dead quiet, no pops, clicks, hiss or anything, just the music. When you consider a tube tape recorder mastered the recording. I'm looking forward to my next purchase a few weeks from now. I would recomend the purchase AU$44.00.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 16:24 
Project Author

Though not vinyl this Vivaldi CD Prima Donna with Nathalie Stutzmann is excellent.

http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22&p=27477#p27477

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 21:49 
Project Author

After upgrading a cartridge in my "found-in-the-side-of-the-road" Sanyo TT TP 1010, with a Garrott K2, I am re-visiting Mozarts Marriage of Figaro. With this cartridge, which I have not liked in the past, this recording sound extraordinarily good. The Garrott is skating over any surface noise. The 4 LP set sounds new. Checkout What System are you Listening to today for more about the system and cartridge in use.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 06:30 

mark - i visited the mill markets this weekend. needless to say my wallet is some $200AUD lighter.
they have some new (old) stuff in which i've raided but they still have TONNES of stuff. and i mean TONNES
not really classical but listening to air supply greatest hits - i managed to grab a moody blues double album as well (from 1974 - i year after i was born) with an utterly sensational recording of nights in white satin / late lament - have the old marantz PM-64 and TT-530 ticking over quietly as wifey is asleep as are kids.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 10:15 
Project Author

I bought up a few Speakers Corner from Quality. Classical 180gm vinyl - excellent.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 07:54 

it seems i've revived an old JVC 'nivico' i had lying around although it needs a new stylus - need to order off the old fleabay.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 13:12 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
it seems i've revived an old JVC 'nivico' i had lying around although it needs a new stylus - need to order off the old fleabay.

Goldring Australia has hundreds of Styli. I have have had a few replacements from them lately and they all seem OK. In Frankston is Record City, second-hand CD's Vinyl etc. they sell Goldring over the counter and have a huge range. If you purchase through them just take the cartridge down if they say they have a stylus to suite. Also inspect the stylus before purchase, once the owner tried to sell me a stylus with a broken cantilever. It was obvious it was broken but maybe he just didn't see it. Lucky I did before leaving the shop.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 01:47 
Project Author

I picked-up, about a year ago, a copy of Pinchas Zukerman does Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky with Bernstein and Antal Dorati, New York Phil and London Symph (do they get any better).

I played this $5.00 scoop once and brushed it off. While testing my newly made Le Pacific MC preamps (MKII and MKIII) I pulled this vinyl for a listen. Three complete plays of both sides later I moved onto some Beethoven (oh to have choice - bliss). I'm also listening to my new DJ-3565 TT and AT-F3/III MC cartridge. Though there is anti-skate issues with the cart. the sound is excellent. No, better than excellent.

Anyhow back to Pinchas: This was his deput recording on CBS and on the cover the comment was made that he is the thoroughbred amongst thoroughbreds. If you wiki this bloke he has been named violinist of the 20th and 21st century. This CBS LP- SBR 235343 is very good and even my pre-loved copy plays well but has lots of clicks and pops. Absolutely worth trying to find a copy. It may even be on CD - still get it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next