DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 03:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 21:40 
Project Author

Keep up the good work Guardians of the Vinyl Art. Sometimes I just can't believe how good some recordings/vinyl sounds and it is almost embarrassing to pay a dollar or two. LPs like the one I mention above are just exceptional.

Hopefully our grand kids will thank us for preserving this excellent recording media and it's exquisite music there on. The again they may not give a rats ass.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 07:44 
Project Author

I've been to my almost local record store. They stock new and used vinyl and CDs. Also they have Collectors Corner etc. also.

This spend saw me walk out with Mozart: Die Zauberflote. and Verdi Otello-DECCA. The Mozart box set is a RCA red seal Digital. The LPs in both box sets are in mint condition and play extremely well. Not much more I can add but for about $25 for the two I'm a happy man.

I've listen to one right through - The Mozart - too much dialogue for my liking. Otello to go.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 12:13 
Editor

Hi guys,

I came across this site that Classical Vinyl lovers will likely find interesting: http://www.shadeddog.com/

The site is for RCA Living Stereo Classical Records.

Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011, 16:35 
Project Author

Thanks Gio, never seen that site before.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 01:51 
Project Author

I shouted myself lunch today in a shopping center which has a few second-hand (poor) store. One I have bought some classical vynil from in the past which has been OK, not perfect or very good just OK. After lunch I needed to shop and of course wandered over to the thrift shop. I found three LPs which looked interesting.

The one I am currently playing is a DG Digital recording from the early 80's. Conductor, Karajan (one of the best), with the Berlin Phil. Just based on those two facts you can see why I jumped on this one. What is covered on the LP is some great stuff: Mozart, Prokofiefe (of which have extremely little) and Grieg, (again only a small amount). For my dollar an LP I get the minimum prescribed amount of pops and clicks. But the music is intact and very listenable and enjoyable.

And I get to listen to it on my new Oatley/Mongrel Dog Audio JFET phono preamp Red Case. Bonus!
Attachment:
Gearss.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 03:20 
Project Author

Slowly working my way through the three LPs the find of the day has to be Guiomar Novaes 1940 -> 1947 un-released recordings of Chopin Recitals in a Town Hall. There is tape hiss and groove rush but the music is OK. She has been hailed as the greatest pianist of the 20th century. Take a look at these links http://www.musicandarts.com/CDpages/CD1029hi.html | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiomar_Novaes#Life

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 05:42 

just my 2c, i don't have alot of vinyl, but, enough to be able to appreciate it.
i grew up on 45's and my favorite was a 78 called 'wake up little suzie' by the everly brothers
unfortunately i think mum and dad got rid of it when they got rid of the old 'kriesler' that i used to love.

anyway, for those down here in Victoria (or AU who may come down to mexico for holidays) if you get down to Daylesford - go to the 'Mill Market' - there is a HEAP of vinyl there and i mean a HEAP and its extremely reasonable in price. well recommended.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 05:52 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
just my 2c, i don't have alot of vinyl, but, enough to be able to appreciate it.
i grew up on 45's and my favorite was a 78 called 'wake up little suzie' by the everly brothers
unfortunately i think mum and dad got rid of it when they got rid of the old 'kriesler' that i used to love.

anyway, for those down here in Victoria (or AU who may come down to mexico for holidays) if you get down to Daylesford - go to the 'Mill Market' - there is a HEAP of vinyl there and i mean a HEAP and its extremely reasonable in price. well recommended.

When is the market on next?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 15:26 

Mark, its on all the time. There are dedicated sheds for it.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 23:51 
Project Author

Got a couple of poor shop $2 delights: Sibelius #2 and Eugene Istomin/Eugene Ormany - Beethoven #4 piano concertos but both very crackley.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next