DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 03:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 10:42 
Editor

schubert wrote:
I just scored on Ebay - Alto Records' Ataulfo Argenta Edition, a 7-disc reissue of Argenta's Alhambra recordings of Spanish music.

Hi schubert, welcome to the forum.

Nice find. :mrgreen: I like Spanish music too. The Chesky label has a large selection - all of which are well recorded and sound great.

Cheers

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 15:49 

The Cheskys are nice - I found a Chesky release of "The Power of the Orchestra" (Pictures at an Exhibition and Night on Bald Mountain, conducted by Rene Leibowitz - a Living Stereo classic) - still sealed!! It wasn't cheap, but it sounded glorious. Then - less than a year later - the reborn Classic Records issued it on CD! Well, I had to get that one too!!! :$: I suppose it's nice to have both.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 16:04 
Project Author

Speaking of sealed I purchesed 10 Opera box sets still in the shrink rap from the 60, 70s and 80s. Some second hand LPs play better though than some of the new ones. In the collection was a quadrophonic, a digital and a direct metal master LP. One was originally mono made into stereo. You can be lucky sometimes. Oh, by the way, they were between $10 and $18 each! Even the box set of Tosca (second-hand) which plays like new, only cost $10.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 08:29 

:2c: I usually try to avoid the fake stereos - they rarely sound as good as the original monos. But if that's all that's available.....

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 02:38 
Project Author

Deep down in the south of the Mornington Peninsula (southern Victoria) in a BIG second-hand store I found Verdi’s Ernani. Yes the usual buddies in rhyme: Carlo Bergonzi, Leontyne Price, Mario Serini, Ezio Flagello, Fernando Iacopucci, Hartje Mueller and Julia Hamari. Cond. by: Thomas Schippers. RCA Red Seal recording from 1967. With the Italiana Opera Orch. and Chorus. I paid a premium here of $15 but it plays well apart from some grove noise which is there, on queue at every scene. A three LP set which every side appears to be a different opera. Most enjoyable.

Thinking about this whole "collecting classic Vinyl thing". I reccon we are now the gardians of rare and beautiful music. CDs can't do it. We have collectively saved thousands of those divine and hand crafted vinyl disc from becoming land fill. We have a duty to protect just a snippet of things beautiful on this planet from extinction.

We respectfully hold the flag high and proclaim "For beautiful music we stand". Ours is the burden to carry. And carry it we will.

Good hunting, good collecting.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 10:49 

I heartily agree, except for one thing: CD's can do it, if the record companies are willing and the CD production is done right. I have some nostalgic affection for LPs too, but it must be admitted that they are sometimes a royal pain in various body parts. I collect them primarily because - as you implied - otherwise a lot of great music is simply unavailable. And often, because of rather careless production standards, the LPs often sound better. However the CD medium has much more capability than the LP medium ever had, and a carefully produced CD will blow any LP of the same recording out of the water. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often, so I have (and I'm sure you have) many CDs that sound inferior to their LP counterparts. A recent example: Levine's Mahler 4th symphony with the Chicago Symphony and Judith Blegen on RCA. This wasn't even a "Golden Age" LP recording, but it sounds a good deal better than the CD. On the other hand, Wilma Cozart Fine is on record as saying the CD versions of the Mercury Living Presence Series sound closer to the master tapes than the LPs ever did.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 17:01 
Project Author

Yes I like collecting and playing too. Most of the time I think LPs beat CDs and I have very good players of both so I feel I'm making a correct statement here. But occasionly a CD comes along that is exceptional.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 20:46 
Project Author

Once more I have been bashing the Poor Stores to find another $1 treasure: "Isaac Stern Plays Brahms". Sonata #2 and Sonata in E-Flat. With Alexander Zakin on Piano.

The pressing is a mfp - Australian pressing and waffer thin. This is an excellent LP in very, very good condition (90%+). It is a very simple and clean recording. It almost sounds amaturish. Just piano and violin-real and raw. My SET loves it (and so do I). I have played it through twice in a row now.

Absolutely excellent. But I am a sucker for Brahms violin pieces.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011, 19:18 

Just picked up today Mozart The Complete Concertos for Winds, Brass, & Orchestra. 7 LP box set, Murray Hill Records. Paid .99 for the set. Haven't listened to it yet but it is 98% mint. Have never seen Murray Hill before, can anyone comment on the quality of there presses?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 20:51 

I'm not knowledgeable so much about classical, but I do enjoy a listen now and then. On Father's Day, while out and about with my son, we hit a couple of antique stores, which are plentiful here. I hit the jackpot, finding about a dozen vintage LPs in great shape, two of which are classical.

One is Andre Previn and the London Symphony- Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2. It's an RCA Red Seal from 1966. It has a sound that is so different from the usual CD. Very interesting to listen to in spite of a couple of pops here and there, but for $2, no complaints.

The second is actually a Japanese remixed master, according to the cover. It's labeled CBS Sony, and the sound quality is stunning. It's the Columbia Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bruno Walter. Side A is Mozart's Symphony No. 35 in D major, K.385 "Haffner". Side B is Mozart's Symphony No. 39 in E-Flat major, K.543. The original recordings must have been superb, which were done in 1959 and 1960. From what I have found, this LP must be from the mid 1980s. It still has the stretch wrap on it with a "Tower Records" price tag of $9.99 US.

Cheers,
Greg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next