DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 18:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 01:14 
Project Author

From the four LPs mentioned above I am now listening to Les Pecheurs de Perles (Perl fishermen). The LP appears to have no recording date. But due to the power of the internet I have been able to learn that it was recorded in 1950. At least that is when the original recording was made. Judging by the sound of the recording that sounds about right. It sounds very 40s, 50s.

Very enjoyable. LP conditon about 80%. This is a very rare find. Not sure stereo was around in the 50s (I think more like 60s) but this is possibly a remastered to stereo version of the mono original. Lot of distortion on the inner tracks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_p%C3%A ... _de_perles

The Wagner LP is about an 86% conditon rating. Nice to listen to. I expected something a lot heavy from Wagner. Dirty record and needs a bath.

Joan Hammond LP in much better conditon 92%. Joan was an Aussie girl. Flat and natural recording. Very good. A bit of surface noise. This LP and Vlad's are the two best the others I may trash.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 06:56 
Project Author

I wanted a Madam Butterfly and a second Magic Flute. All Operas.

Firstly I found a pristine box set of Madam Butterfly:

(Renata Tebaldi with tenor Carl Bergonzi - conductor Tullio Serafin, Saint Cecilea Academy Orch. and Chorus.
Recorded (early Stereo- 1958). Very famous recording - considered one Telbadi's finest and the tenor Bergonzi is outstanding.

This is a Decca recording. The Box is in very good condition and I would say the LP is 98% perfect. So close to new I doubt anyone could pick it is second-hand. Big bassy overture kicks-off first track first side and sounds stunning.

I could not find another magic flute but did find Puccini’s Tosca with: Katia Ricciarelli, Jose’ Carreras, Ruggero Raimondi, Fernando Corena – Berliner Philhamoniker with Herbert Von Karajan. This is a Deutche Grammophon recording. 1980. The Box is perfect and the LP condition 98%. Two perfect LPs.

But wait there’s more: I dropped into Vinni’s (charity shop), on the way home, in Malvern to find a 1965 World Record club (usually poor quality) pressing of Sibelius. I have none of his work so this is a first. The LP is in 90% condition. It is his Violin concerto in D major with David Oistrakh on the fiddle with The Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra. Conductor: Gennady Rozhdestvenshy.

The Opera box sets cost $8 each and Sibelius, $1. Yes one dollar. Priceless.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 15:16 

It's good to know there are more bargain hunters out there. I also do a regular routine of second hand shops, book shops and thrift stores looking for cheap LPs. Latest find: Wilhelm Backhaus plays Bach, a Decca recording from the golden age (1958). Excellent sonics and peerless playing on this London STS reissue. Also found an EMI LP of Gretry overtures, etc conducted by Paul Strauss in Liege. Very nice - unusual rep.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 04:33 
Project Author

You're right you just have to keep bashing the second-hand stores. A friend of mine, Mr Tripp, says you should hit the more expensive parts of town for the better second-hand gear.

My all time best purchace has to be the $1 Sibelius. I laugh to myself every time I play it, how good it plays and sounds for the out-lay. Audiophiles, the final say in re-cycling.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 13:29 

On the opposite end of the spectrum from the thrift store bargain (of which I am a devoted fan) is the set I just scored on Ebay - Alto Records' Ataulfo Argenta Edition, a 7-disc reissue of Argenta's Alhambra recordings of Spanish music. The Concierto de Aranjuez and Nights in the Gardens of Spain in particular are collector's classics with spectacular sonics. And I got a bargain, relatively speaking :o - much less than the $200+ it usually goes for. I can hardly wait to hear it! But it will have to wait until next week because I have rehearsals and performances all the way through the weekend. :sing:

This isn't my set, but it looks the same.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 15:44 
Project Author

Looks great Schubert. Looking forward to a report.

Acting? Performing? Tell us more.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 19:10 

This weekend I'll be performing in a rarity - a staged (well, semi-staged, really) production of parts 2 and 3 of Messiah. Then it's Britten's Canticles 2 & 4 (along with Gesualdo Tenebrae responsories) and chorus work with the Philadelphia Orchestra (Berlioz's Damnation of Faust, Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms and Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. So I spend a lot of time either in the practice room or with a soldering iron in my hand! :D

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 20:47 
Project Author

Sing, act or dance??

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 22:57 

All singing, with acting thrown in if I'm in an opera - usually just in the summertime these days, for being a schoolteacher by day, that's when I have time. I haven't done straight acting for a long time, and I have two left feet so I avoid dancing if I can - though this summer brings a production of Merry Widow in which I'll sing Danilo, and Hanna tells him "you're a terrible man....who dances divinely!" Yikes!! :shock: I'll have to find a way to fake it!!

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 02:20 
Project Author

Choockers then!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next