DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 18:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 07:19 
Project Author

kkkittehz wrote:
Any idea where to go to get classical vinyl, I've spent a while looking for Gershwins an American in Paris but cant seem to find it anywhere :(

I'm fortunate there is a record store about 50mins drive from my listening lounge which stocks a huge range of vinyl and CDs. Classic, Opera, rock, blues, roots etc. New and used. Not much use to you though.

You could ring them and see if they will post stuff. Or e-mail them to post stuff. Let me know if you want the e-mail address.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 10:13 

Could you give me that email address please :D

Cuban overture is too good a song to let pass by!

:trumpet:

Lewis

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 17:16 
Project Author

Here's the link: http://www.qualityrecords.lavalink.com.au/

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2010, 07:40 
Project Author

Related to the topic is LP washers. A few friends have them and swear by them. They are not expensive and the liquid is re-usable. One new users says flushing the LP under the tap after a wash really cleans the LP up.

I must put some up-dates here. Home tomorrow so I'll post.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 03:36 
Project Author

When you get out of bed you never know just how the day is going to pan-out. Fast forward to lunch time. A customer from the local electronics store where I work bought an amp and bits to get his home mixing studio up and going. But the speakers he has, which has RCF drivers, had been water logged in storage and stuffed the Xover. He asked me to come and make suggestions how he could fix this and save these massive drivers.

On the way back I dropped into a second-hand store. Of course they had the odd box or two of second-hand LP. PLUS a big box of 78 which some looked in good knick.

This brings me to Classical Vinyl Collectors Corner: I bought two LPs (yes and the 78) the one I will note here and had a quick listen to, is mix of Bartok: The Miraculous Manderin (side one) and Shostakovitch: The Age of Gold. Firstly the LP is in perfect condition. The owener must of had a very, very good TT and cartridge!!! The cover though is in bad knick. The orchestran is the Philharmonia Orchestra - Robert Irving. It is an Australian Record Society pressing and my guess is from 1976. It is just wonderful.

It is not 180gms vinyl but is heavy. Some LPS I have you can pass light through but this is very solid vinyl. For $2 I'm well satisfied.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 19:15 
Project Author

Now to add the second of the LPs I purchased yesterday from the second-hand sore. Once more this elavuation is after a quick listen:

Svjatoslav Richter (piano): Mozart and Prokofieff - Deutsche Grammophon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sviatoslav_Richter

Mozart: Piano Concerto in D minor K.466 - Prokofieff: Piano Concerto in G major Op.55

I have no Prokofieff so this a first. I enjoyed both sides of the LP. Prokofieff is different but hard to put it into words. Do I like the LP 138 075 - yes I do. I have others I like more but for a guy who loves the piano this is a treat. Once more excellent recording from the Deutsche Grammophon label. The piano sounds magnificant. There may be a few pops and clicks but the sound quality is 100%. Nothing missing at all. And my new SET just wrings every tonal texture our of every clearly heard note.

Once more the vinyl is in good condition. Side one a little worse than side two (makes sense). Few more clicks than the LP above but a cleaning with ant-static fluid may fix this. This LP won the Grand Prix for LPs in Paris (one year???).

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 21:29 
Project Author

I said when listening to Prokofieff I could not detail his music style but I felt it different. After a better listening I feel the piano concerto I just listen sounds like part of a film score. It may just be this piece or his style in general. But if I watched a movie with this piece as the score right through the whole film it would make sense.

As an aside: the LP weighs 140gm.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010, 18:46 
Project Author

I haven't added anything here for a while but was so touched by what I was listening to last night I felt I have to make an entry:

Rossini - IL Turco in Italia, National Philharmonic Orchestra with Riccardo Chailly. Samuel Ramey and Montserrat Caballe.

This is a three LP set and a CBS master series. It is a digital recording from 1982 and was still in the shrink rap when I purchased it earlier this year. A rare find. It plays pristinely and a captivating listen. It's sad when it stops, you just want more.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 04:28 
Project Author

I collected three Opera box sets today, all second-hand and all by Mozart: "La Finta Semplice", DMM and digitally recorded. Very, very good though the store owner who sold it too me said "no one wants this". I do and it is excellent. Leopard Hager-conductor. 1964

Mozart: "The Magic Flute". It is musically very good but this is a mono recording and stereo-ised. The vinyl is in only in fair conditiion-1964.

Mozart: "The Marriage of Figaro". Otto Klemperer. In fair to good condition and beautiful music. 1971.

If you find a copy of La Finta Semplice buy it. Make-up your own mind. I was very pleased with what I heard. The rest, please yourself.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 23:59 
Project Author

Hitting the second-hand stores I pick-up four LPs.

Rachmaninov #2 and Etudes: #1,2 & 5- With Vladimir Ashkenazy and Moscow Phil. Conduct: Kyril Kondrashin. I'm playing it now and it is pristine. Only a little tape hiss. I'd give the condition 99%!!

Wagner excerpts from: Gotterdammerung, The Flying Dutchman and Tannhauser- Badische Staatsoper - Carl Bamberger.

Les Pecheurs de Perles - Bizet - Phil. de Paris - Rene' Leibowitz. French pressing I think.

Joan Hammond (?) - Operatic Arias. EMI - The Philharmonia Orchest. - Glauco Curiel.

The last three I am yet to listen to. Still stuck on the Rack!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next