DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 04:58 
Project Author

I have quite a good classical vinyl collection which I only started a few years ago. I wonder if a group of members would like to follow this thread and talk of the Classical Vinyl collection.

I think it would be expecially nice to hear from Forumers when they purchase an additional vinyl LP. New, second hand, remastered, 180gm ??? Lets know what you got and how it sounded. What you paid for it and where you got it? Would you recomend it to others.
What TT did you first listen to it on?

I have a collection of new and second hand. The LP I am currently listen to is: Trio Sonatas and Quartets. Extracts from Banquet Music by Telemann. Though very second hand I'd say it is about 80% to 85% perfect with only occasional clicks. For $5 it was an excelent purchase. Very soft music (good for meal time), lots of wood winds and ancient instruments. I love it.

The label is Musique Royal. Recomended.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 07:13 
Project Author

One of my absolute favs. is Respighi - Ancient Dances and Airs for Lute by Philharmonia Hungarica conducted by Antal Dorati. Pressed by Mercury: http://www.gracenote.com/search/album_d ... 15b206b706 Recorded in 1958 (I was 6 then). On heavy weight vinyl.

The whole LP is one of total classical pron (watch the Forum bots), enjoyment from lead-in track to lead-out track. The first track and indeed a few others, will let you know if your system can deliver bass and can handle a large dynamic range. This is not mid bass from a bass drum or electric bass from a Fender Jazz master bass guitar. But the bass of possibly six double basses combined. Weighty, deep, punchy and pure.

My copy was new but a noisy pressing. After saying that I would give it a 90% quality rating. The noisy surface doesn't detract from the music. Nothing could!! Played again today with some old pop vinyl and other classical selections. Still breaking in my new tube phono preamp. Still enjoying the music.

Another LP I recently purchased is a Decca recording (180gm) of Leonard Bernstein, Conductor and soloist of the Vienna Philharmonic: Mozart-Symphony no.36 "Linz" and Piano Concerto no.15. This is a Speakers Corner pressing. Very high qulaity. I'm guess the date of the original recording but again around the late 50s.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 12:58 
Banned

mwhouston wrote:
For $5 it was an excelent purchase..

Hi.
Go shop at Goodwill stores. I used to get tons of those recycle vinyls for half a buck. Recently the price has been jacked up 1 buck half a pop.

But, but one got know how to handle recycles properly. Mine, given proper handling, all sound from decent to superb. Older the recording, better is the sound, IME.

c-J

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 16:35 
Project Author

Yes I have also bought a ton of vinyl from what we call charity stores or just second-hand stores. As I may have stated earlier I find I have about a 50% hit rate as to good quality vinyl. My classical vinyl mix is have new and half used. But sometimes I find that some of the new stuff is noisier than the old stuff. Most new vinyl is expensive - one LP I just bought cost AU$58.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 18:32 
Project Author

We had a classical vinyl night at the audio club. The program director at the time, who hates classical and LPs, bought along Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade by The Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner. He bought it fo 50 cents at the local poor shop.

Only the first track was played then he offered it free to whoever wanted it. I lept out of my seat and snatched it out of his hand. Quality wise it is only about the 80% mark but the recording and music is exceptional. I have played it dozens of times over the year and never tire of it. One of the nicest LPs I have and it cost me nothing. Others in the club are still envious of my win.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 22:53 
Project Author

Listening to this LP as I type this: Frederic Chopin, a Deutsche Grammophon recording. Berliner Philharmoniker 1968. Tamas Vasary and Jerzy Semkow. Tracks are Klavierkonzert Nr.1 E-Moll . 4 Mazurkas.

An LP with about an 80% quality rating. Noisy in spots. Generaly anything by Deutsche Grammophon is excellently recorded. $7 for the LP. A steel.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 05:27 
Project Author

Georg-Philipp Telemann - Four Concertos. Jean-Francois Chamber Orchestra. Second hand LP for about $7. Quality up around the 90% with some pops clicks and very few scratches. A lovely, lovely LP.

A World Music recording. Massive notes on the back of the cover. Very easy listening.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 18:09 
Project Author

A day off work so on goes the vinyl with my new bread board amp (BBAmp - Be Bamp) and Oatley tube phono stage.

Classic vinyl toady is: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 with Julius Katchen conducted by Georg Solti with the London Phil. This is a Decca recording from 1959. I was 7 when this was made. iF you like your Russians then this LP is for you. Big and bold and holds nothing back. Romantic, powerful and very listenable.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 20:47 
Project Author

As posted else where I have been out buying box sets of vinyl Opera. I now have 18 box sets. Time to stop. The last 10 I have purchased were all un-opened. Most from the mid 70s and some as late as 1984. These have remaind in thier original shrink rap since the mid 70s. Anything from 2 to 5 LPs per box set.

Some box sets are digital recordings, some DMM (direct metal master) and a few other variants. Hard to believe one is quadrophonic. Lucky it plays just as well in stereo mode. The DECCA recordings are the best. And I have Pressings from Phillips, HMV and EMI plus a few German pressings.

Currently listing to Donizetti, L'Elisir d'Amore. A Decca recording with Sutherland and Pavarotti and English Chamber Orchestra. 1971.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 05:02 

Any idea where to go to get classical vinyl, I've spent a while looking for Gershwins an American in Paris but cant seem to find it anywhere :(

Lewis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next