DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 11:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 05:37 

Hi!

The postman has just dropped this one.

A mint copy, hard to believe it has played. Shinny, no pops, no clicks and very thick 180gram UK microgroove pressing.

The sound is incredible, focused, warm, very good bass, detailed and great channel separation.

Recorded in 1963, this is unbelievable! :)

If you like bossa nova or just like to listen to good recorded music, you MUST give it a listen. Also the biggest Jazz album sold in history.

The setup listening is the usual:

Turntable: Grundig TT-903
Cartridge: AudioTechnica AT120E (MM)
Phono Stage: BHL 2SK170 (modified) pre-amplifier
Amplifier: KT88 (JJ Tesla) Oddwatts (lastest version)
Speakers: KEF 90dB bookshelf speakers

I am so so happy! This may be a direct top 10 entry to my personal collection.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 07:17 
Project Author

Which KEFs do you have. I have the iQ30s.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 07:59 

Hi Mark!

I wish I had those iQ30´s, they have to be something unreal! :)

I´m a bit limited in room size and also on money...

So for now i´m just running a beautiful cherry colour, pair of Cresta C2, considered the audiophile entry level speakers.

They sound very good, but I know I can get more from my tube amplifiers.

Technical specifications: http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/90s/Cresta_1_2_3_C.pdf

I have played the record for about 4 times :D

Cheers!

Miguel

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 17:43 
Project Author

Speakers look very good. I was playing my Fostex double bass chamber speakers last night with Opera and the Paris amp. I definitely need a BSC network. Might get the parts today.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 22:03 
Project Author

Hi A single stage is fine. Your choice what kind. I was fiddling with various tubes in SRPP and 5751 and 6(or12) SL7s can deliver a linear swing of over 70 volts with 200 B+. The actual ratios were about 1/3 the B+. So in the latest versions at 305 B+ you can easily get a 100 volt swing. I have seen a number of SRPP drivers used on even 300Bs so the KT120 ought to be easy. You can use other drivers if you have them. 12AX7s will work, but I have never found one that I liked the sound of. I would use a idle current on a 12AX7 at about 0.7ma at 200-250 volts B+. Cathode resistors in the range of 1100 to 1400R. 12AT7s would be probably a better choice use the ECC81s or ECC81S. Set the current at about 10ma in the SRPP at 250V. Personally I would use the 6/12SL7s at about 0.9ma and 300volts. Cathode resistors of about 1200R. Split the bottom one if you want to use NFB. I like to see octals driving octals.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 06:31 
Project Author

Current setup (could change tomorrow) is similar to lists above except I have the Menatzchim (C3m preamp) and Silver Dragon (300B power amp) in making all the noise. Previously the preamp was Heavy Metal (6N7 preamp) and prior to the 4SUTea - 12AU7 Universal Tea Box preamp.

Before the three tube preamps above the BoZ inspired single jFET preamp. I require a lot of gain from my preamp because my power amp has very little. Tube preamps have not been able to do this in the past. BUT with Heavy Metal and now Menatzchim delivery a lot more gain from their metal tubes I can enjoy all the benefits of a fully tubed system.

Still enjoying the Silver Dragon. Lately with the Oppo - 95 using four 64GB USB sticks (on a hub) plugged directly into the Oppo the sound could never get better. All CD quality files are played in 24Bit 96K and are up-conversions of Apple lossless downloads or high rez. FLACS or LINN downloads. Some as high as 24Bit 192KHz.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 20:03 

Ahhh, got my 6FD7 amp back after loaning it out for a week and was stuck listening to a consumer SS amp - gimme my 2W/channel of tube heaven over 60 of mass-produced sand anyday :D

Streaming the CBC Music "World channel" and just heard the oddest thing - a group called Los Miticos Del Ritmo doing Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" on..... an ACCORDION! :blush:

Funny thing is it was done is such a whimsical style, it wasn't offensive..... or I'm just getting old! :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 01:33 
Project Author

Geek: I hear you buddy. No commercial s$$hit. Today on my new VoxDeuX two way speakers, Menatzchim C3g preamp, Silver Dragon 300B power amp with Jean Hiraga MC stage and BHL phono stage played-out Cream Silver Wheels of Fire and Hendrix Band of Gypsis.

I have never heard it this good and all on original vinyl.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 10:15 
Project Author

Hi, It must be funky stuff week... I was listening to the Greatful Dead and Starship. The latter is really awesome though an all tube system. I thought I felt the earth move (oops only a huge truck out front :D )

BTW, I was a bit disappointed with the newest Diana Krall LP Glad Rag Doll.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 17:24 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, It must be funky stuff week... I was listening to the Greatful Dead and Starship. The latter is really awesome though an all tube system. I thought I felt the earth move (oops only a huge truck out front :D )

BTW, I was a bit disappointed with the newest Diana Krall LP Glad Rag Doll.

Good listening
Bruce

I have a recent Krell double LP which is OK but but not stunning. It is a good test record.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next