DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 09:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 22:53 
Project Author

Hi Everyone. I just shuffled around my stuff and am using a pair of the new (actual prototypes of the final amps) KT120 mono-blocks for main amps, the original odd block KT88s (from the project) as sub woofer amps (they are great there BTW), my all value integrated phono -line stage preamp, as of today, three turntables, a Sota, a Pro-ject and a Drega-Rual (see the post under sources about that one), an Oppo 83SE, a back up Simaudio Moon LP3 phono preamp and a Marchand electronic crossover (on the subs). Martin Logan Vistas for main speakers and a pair of 7.5 cubic foot subs with 15 inch drivers (roughly 210 liters and 37 cm for the metric folk). What I was listening to was Diana Krall. Lovely ....

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 06:00 

Look what the post-man brought this morning! :)
Attachment:
170622.jpg

I am very happy I got this one brand new / sealed.
Outstanding soundstage like Columbia advertises on their "360 sound label".
Also one of the finest Jazz records of all time.
Listening on my Grunding TT-903 with AudioTechnica AT120E (MM) cartridge, BHL (modified) pre-amplifier driving the KT88 (JJ Tesla) Oddwatts to KEF 90dB bookshelf speakers.

You like Jazz? You MUST hear this one!

Cheers,
Miguel

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 06:05 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi Everyone. I just shuffled around my stuff and am using a pair of the new (actual prototypes of the final amps) KT120 mono-blocks for main amps, the original odd block KT88s (from the project) as sub woofer amps (they are great there BTW), my all value integrated phono -line stage preamp, as of today, three turntables, a Sota, a Pro-ject and a Drega-Rual (see the post under sources about that one), an Oppo 83SE, a back up Simaudio Moon LP3 phono preamp and a Marchand electronic crossover (on the subs). Martin Logan Vistas for main speakers and a pair of 7.5 cubic foot subs with 15 inch drivers (roughly 210 liters and 37 cm for the metric folk). What I was listening to was Diana Krall.

Lovely setup Bruce!
I´m sure you´re more than pleased with your audio system! :)
Diana Krall - Live in Paris (45RPM) 2LP will be my next buy!
But next month... :\

Cheers,
Miguel

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 08:17 
Project Author

HT Performance wrote:
Look what the post-man brought this morning! :)
I am very happy I got this one brand new / sealed.
Outstanding soundstage like Columbia advertises on their "360 sound label".
Also one of the finest Jazz records of all time.
Listening on my Grunding TT-903 with AudioTechnica AT120E (MM) cartridge, BHL (modified) pre-amplifier driving the KT88 (JJ Tesla) Oddwatts to KEF 90dB bookshelf speakers.
You like Jazz? You MUST hear this one!

BHL, KT88s and KEFS - now your talking gear.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 18:07 
Project Author

Firstly I have to tell you the the news that I now have a third listening area. This area combines our recently purchased 46" LED TV. What I did is sell off all my 5.1 surround sound gear and replaced it with an Oppo BDP-93, Paris (6EM7) integrated amp and currently in place KEF iQ30s. I retained the 125W 12" subby in 60 liter enclosure. The LFE output from the Oppo provides the signal for this.

The KEFs will be replaced with a pair of Fostex FE206s in the smaller bass chambered boxes. But currently I can play CD on some real nice gear, watch Blue Ray/DVD movies in knockout 2 channel theater. Combined with my HD RAM stick recorder play back recordings again bath in crisp tube reproduction.

In listening area #2 I have Luciano (807) amp, Fostex FE206 in back loaded horns, AT direct drive TT and Hitachi FM tuner. The KEFs will move back hear eventually but for now I am really enjoying the setup. With the TT I have a number of MM cartridges: Stanton 881s, Garrot Bros. K2, Ortofon VMS20e MKII, Grado reference wood body cart. and a few Sure's not in head shells. The arm allows head shell swapping and therefore cartridge rolling. That's what I decided to do.

I like very much a 5 LP box set of Vivaldi from Time Life and though a low quality pressing the music is delicious. I started with the Stanton but by the end of side one felt the sound too bright. So in went the K2 which was mellow and rich sounding. The K2 is noted for masking surface noise, pops and clicks and lets the music flow. This was great but I wanted put the Grado in play. Hard to explain the sound but the Grado was not as good as the K2 so at the end of the side the Ortofon took its place. The Ortofon also sound thin, compressed and bright and now back to the K2.

Though the Vivaldi box set is second hand it is in very good condition particularly after I gave it a clean. I'm currently making a MC cartridge preamp for a Audio Club member and working away with Vivaldi in the background and a red wine in-hand made for a productive and enjoyable afternoon. More today.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 20:49 
Project Author

Hi Mark, I roll cartridges as well and find that an Ortofon OM30 is fairly good at masking noise in my Origin Live arm and still maintains a nice tonal balance. The cheap way to get one is to find an OM5E (really inexpensive) and get an after market replacement stylus for the OM30. The differences within the OM line is entirely in the stylus assembly. I got mine from LPGear for $129. Excellent. The OM5E is elliptical and the OM30 a line contact. I have stopped using my Grado wood body as it just doesn't seem to make magic in my system. Most of the time I use either a Benz Micro MC gold with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever or a Dynavector 10X5 also with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever. Both are line contact types. They provide superior detail and clean full range top to bottom response. They do not mask the noise though. BTW if you have any older mono LPs (I have several) I find the OM5E stylus does a pretty fair job on them and a Denon DL110 works well on them.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 22:13 
Project Author

While we are discussing vinyl reproduction. I made some comments on another thread that the new La Boca MC phono preamp not only sounded better than my my expensive and complex Jean Hiraga bipolar MC stage and genuine BHL phono stage but was voted by others as the better choice.

I was helping a friend get his BHL stage going and while here I played him mine. Comparing the two stages he liked my Hiraga/BHL combo over the La Boca- now I am confused. But then I remember I'm now loading the Ortofon Rondo Blue at 100ohms and not 50. Others have commented that the music sounded better with the cart. at a lower loading. I built a switch for 50/100/220 ohm loading into the preamp which can be altered on the flight. So now I feel a little faith has been restored with the more complex and costly stage. I like it!!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 21:24 
Project Author

I was lucky to received an excellent pair of 1996 Svetlana EL34s. I had intended to build an EL34 amp to use up excess parts I had even other EL34 tubes - Mullard re-issues, Black Sables, Siemens and Sovteks. The amp was built for sale but before it went to a new home, within a week of construction, I had a chance to have an extended listen.

Equipment: Rega Planar 3/Ortofon Rondo Blue, Hiraga bipolar MC stage and BHL phono preamp. BoZSE preamp and retro-34UL - EL34 power amp (new) and Osborn Eclipse 3-way towers. I listened to a broad range of music from pop/rock, jazz and classical. The amp performed extremely well. Only criticism is a roll-offf of the lower register at about 50hz due to inexpensive Edcor OPTS. Better OPTS have been ordered for the next build.

I am really looking forward to the next EL34 SE/UL amp.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 08:31 
Project Author

With the equipment stated above but replace the retro-34UL with the Silver Dragon, I had another serious listen to the Bruckner 9, download from Apple and up-converted to 24B/96K WAVs and played direct from HD on the Oppo BDP-95. On another post I didn't show a lot of enthusiasm for the tracks.

Based on his second listen I am now a convert. Bruckner 9 by Simon Rattle with the Berlin Phil. is a monstrous work. I'm not sure I "get it" 100% but I sure are enjoying it. The Silver Dragon took me there. Better than trying to fit the Berlin Phil, in my humble listening area.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2012, 12:48 
Project Author

Sand has invaded my main system in the form of a compact chip amp. The whole amp resides in a 1U 19" rack. Two low profile toroid trannies, power filter, rec. cct. chips and large copper heatsink\resinator (3.6kg) fit snugly here. After fixing some instability issues its time to get down to listening.

Two Opera box sets were enjoyed one after the other: Ernani by Verdi and Madam Butterfly by Puccini. A loto of other classical pieces were enjoyed but these to Operas really stood-out. Other gear: BoZSE preamp, Osborn three way towers, Rega Plana 3\RB300 arm Hiraga MC preamp, BHL phono preamp and Ortfon Rondo Blue cart.

My power amp is generally a 300BSE but at the moment I'm really enjoying this 9.6kg "sand-filled" amp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next