DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 13:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 08:13 
Project Author

I have just returned from a German based classic chamber group's live performance. They tour all over the world playing both big and small venues. The performance was un-amplified and I was second row back just meters from the group.

I believe the valve amps and equipment I build are very good at revealing what the microphone recorded at a live session. After listening to this world class live classical music, upfront and personal in a Lutheran Church with cathedral ceilings, I'm wondering if reproducing what the microphone recorded with detail and clarity is enough. My last three triode amps are very detailed but after tonight I feel I am just hearing the microphone's interpretation. I'm now wondering if my SE pentode amps didn't produce more real music and less microphone recording. Can the amp give you back what the mics were trying to record or is it lost forever?

I will soon build an 807 amp once more designed by Matt. If this amp gives me back the real music and looks beyond the mics, I may just turn full circle and return to my SE pentodes for further investigation. I want to hear a violin like I heard it tonight. The truth is out there.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 02:04 
Project Author

I'm both angry and frustrated. I bought a classical CD: Janacek Operas (NAXOS) etc. with the NZ Symph. cond. by Peter Breiner. I left the Cowon S9 at home but bought the Phiaton MS400s and hoped to play the CD through my Dell laptop. After 5 mins of pops and clicks I ripped the CD to the laptop through Foobar as a wav(s). After another 5 mins of pops and clicks (now I'm angry) I loaded the files onto my LG P500 (Android for those who hate windows and apple anything).

Finally no clips and pops though of course the music is dynamically and frequency constipated. At least i can hate a listen without "noise" in any key. I will never leave the Cowon at home again. EVER!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 18:42 
Project Author

With the completion of the ATS25/807 amp I have listened to little else except vinyl and the amp. Also the new Hiraga MC preamp has headed up my system to go with the Ortofon Rondo Blue MC cart.

Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm and new Ortofon Rondo Blue. Hiraga bipolar MC preamp and BHL jFET phono preamp and RIAA equalization. BoZSE jFET preamp and new 807 tube amp with Osborn Eclipse speakers. Oppo 93SE player also.

Mahler's #2 through the above system is dramatic, dynamic and intoxicating. Great DIY experience.

PostPosted: 09 May 2012, 04:18 

Seems like new good music is hard to find, hoping to run across some here.
Lately been listening to Dave Weckl Band, fusion jazz. Fidelity of the recordings is good. Also bought about 17 Ozric Tentacles CDs. Progressive jazz/rock. Excellent fidelity.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 04:46 

Well the postman has just rang the bell.

My Engelbert Humperdink - Greatest Hits [DECCA] arrived.

In pristine collection! It is not the first time I get records from UK, it seems that english people took really good care of them.

The sound??? Unbelievable!
Attachment:
$(KGrHqFHJEwE-uPPtU5hBPw71)Tfd!~~60_12.jpg

Listening on my Grunding TT-903 with AudioTechnica AT120E cartridge, BHL pre-amplifier driving the KT88 Oddwatt to KEF 90dB bookshelf speakers.

I´m currently sick (throat pain/fever), but I am happy right now.
Cheers,
Miguel

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 08:42 
Project Author

The Dick? Not for me but enjoy.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 05:54 

Now Playing!
Attachment:
$(KGrHqNHJC8E7BcvhJiRBO5i)Ck58!~~60_12.jpg

The Magic of Nana Mouskouri (Philips 1988)

Very good vinyl quality, extremelly low surface noise and suberb dynamics! Using the usual setup! :)

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 09:02 
Project Author

After many long years of dreaming it I finally got my two channel theater system in place.

Not yet complete or finished but: 46" LED Hisense, Oppo BDP-83SE, HD 1080p USB recorder, Paris (2.7W pc) tube amp with preamp, 175W SS amp with 12" woofer in 80 liter reflex box fed from SW output from Oppo. and $100 crappy three way towers.

The speakers will eventually be replaced with Fostex FE206 in simple two chamber box. They are ready for spraying and assembly. Used the Matrix to get the SW balance and test it out. Happy so far. Images to follow.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 05:54 

Now Playing! Duke Ellington Jazz Violin Session (1963) [Atlantic Pressing]
Attachment:
Duke-Ellington-Duke-Ellingtons-J-542550.jpg

Outstanding record with phenomenal soundstage! :) It is one of my favorites! The setup is the usual, but i´m currently working on a tube RIAA, reviews will come in a week or so.

Cheers,
Miguel

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 23:26 
Project Author

Moved the 807 (Luciano) to the second listening area. Listening to full frequency Classic FM on my 35 year old Hitachi FM tuner, 807 amp and iQ30 KEFs. This system sounds better than when Paris (6EM7 amp) powered it.

The Silver Dragon (300BSE) is back in my main listening area with the new Oppo BDP-95, Osborn three-way towers, BoZSE preamp and a mix of pure silver and wire-wrap inter-connects. The new Oppo BDP-95 Audiophile is superb and has added a whole new dimension to my system. Much, much better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next