DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 19:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 16:17 

finally i made a crystal set which actually can hold the stations. :wizard: most people can make a crystal radio, but those who have tried to make one knows how it drifts almost immediately when a station is found. i'm using a loop antenna made of four broken fishingrods, to make a rectangular frame ( 4,5 ft x 5 ft ). on the frame i've added a twin pair of telephonewire ( blue/red type ).

the crystal set is very simple. i've added a twin pair of adjustable capacitors 365 pF ( see the pictures ). there's three seperate coils 20T/40T/10T on a ferrit rod and the last one works as a kind of booster coil ( as i see it ). then the fun starts ....it's the small critter which has something to do with holding the stations ( weird but true ). it's a kind of both cap and coil in one. also is the loop antenna weird, because it's not connected in one end. i'm able to reach 3 stations and 'HOLD' them by adjusting the capacitor ...which is a big thing for me. if i move one of the loop antenna wires ( make them parallel + adjusting the ferritrod ), it gives me 2 new stations + keeping 1 of those who where there before. success today ...and i needed this succes, because it has been two days with a lot of frustrations.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 17:39 
Editor

Critter is a good name for it. I just recently built a kit that uses the same concept to couple the antenna, but they called it a "gimmick" capacitor - magnet wire twisted together.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 06:46 

nice, i'll add 'gimmmick' to my vocabulary Image. now i've got critter, gimmick, gizmo, thingy and n.e.e.d ( non explainable electronic device ). all this can be chained together with words like weird, wicked, magical, mysterious to make it even more attractive. :wizard:

anyway the shown critter is nothing more than a kind of combined filter of L, R, C in a very small scale. when i tried to stretch the wires out, which was the same as removing the critter ( houdini style: now it's there, now it's not ), then i began to hear mixing of different channels, so it had a purpose of focusing on one channel. unfortunately i was not lucky, when trying to make a working critter again. :down:

gio, i guess you're refering to the ozark, where the gimmick is inserted. this one must be seen as a cap and only a cap, because both ends of wires are not connected ...or is it (?) because it could also act as a sort of small antenna. it's not encapsulated.

the critter is connected an must be seen as both a coil, cap and resistor combination, as i see it.

update: right now i'm working on a better loop antenna build on a wooden frame, instead of the broken fishingrods.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 21:39 
Project Author

Hi, The term from my amateur radio days was a "gimmic" . Most were a pair of twisted together wires. About 3-5 turns about 1/2 inch long. Most common use was to keep transmitter tubes from putting out excessive harmonics. Basically a very small capacitor and inductance. I suspect they operated as sort of an LC trap. Could be wrong there as that was about 50 years ago when I built such transmitters. Without the gimmic some were able to wipe out TVs for blocks around. With it, zilch. The worst offender tubes were the ones we were (because of cost) forced to use....horizontal output tubes for TVs. In class C operation some would deliver over 50 watts to the antenna. You can imagine what that would do to nearby TVs that used antennas as well back then if there was no gimmic.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 23:41 
Editor

KrammeAcoustics wrote:
this one must be seen as a cap and only a cap, because both ends of wires are not connected ...or is it (?) because it could also act as a sort of small antenna. it's not encapsulated.

Correct, it is not connected, I thought of it as a capacitor, but there is also a inductive component as Bruce suggested. Who knows how it all works. With the regen receiver I assumed it was to lightly couple to the antenna so not to overload the receiver.