DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 12:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 17:49 

Hello! One month ago I bought from somebody this radio cassette https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/craftsman_record_0_matic.html . Theoretically works pretty good on AM, Tape and a little bit on FM. The AFC also works.

Here is the diagram from the interior ticket:

The radio cassette has a hybrid design with both Si and Ge transistors.

The minor problem is a screw that is locked and when I tried to rotate broke down. The big problem is that even if is on tape or radio, the device makes from time to time an unusual noise; even if it is on low or higher volume. I tried to change most of the capacitors but in vain. Even the power socket I change, also in vain. I tried to power it from 9V battery but the same noise appear. I cleaned the rec-playback switch and the potentiometers but in vain.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0K8qYqNnINd

Note:
-at the end of volume potentiometer if I collect the signal to an external amplifier there is no such noise;
-also at the colector of TR104 if I collect the signal to an external amplifier there is no such noise.

What should I do?

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 15:23 

I removed 2SB56 driver transistor and after that all the noise disappeared. When trying to connect C120 from the 1st audio transistor to the input of the audio transformer, there was no hiss. I checked with an multimeter 2SB56 Ge transistor and it seems to be ok. Instead of 2SB56 Ge transistor I tried a configuration with a P-channel FET transistor: 2N5640 and it worked almost perfectly, without (more or less) any adjustment. This is the modified diagram compared to the original. The quality is perfect, no harmonics, no distorsion. The only difference should be a little bit less amplification, and when moving the volume, the physiological point via C116 (300pF) is moved a little bit away. I think that instead of Ge transistor (for the moment) could be used this type of FET which is deplation (always on).