DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Oct 2020, 04:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 May 2009, 13:46 
Project Author

Noticed you mentioned our talk from, I think, last year. Changed my mind a bit since then. I heard some Kimber Kables and some Kimber interconnects. It made a difference and though it wasnt huge any good difference is worth pursuing. So if I mentioned anything about cables not being worth DIYing please let me recant that statement. I will be making my own cables from now on and might even buy silver wire to do it with... okay, I already bought the wire and the Eichmann Silver Bullets. Sooner or later will build. :)
Good job on your ICs!
Ri

PostPosted: 27 May 2009, 02:32 

Hi,

Ri Am very glad to hear the change in your mindset ;) ! Yes it was last year that we had some talk bout cables with you on the non-believer side and me on the believer side :mrgreen: ! But its history now and that's what that matters now 8-) !

Also Am very glad that you are on the verge of making your own stuff ! Am looking forward to seeing your project !

Thanks for the comments,Am happy to learn that you liked my IC Project !!

Regards.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 00:01 

If later you going to make another same cable, try this:
1) tighter the braid will get low capacitance, the sound goes faster and more dynamic.
2) Loosen the braid will get high capacitance, but you can a smoother and morre musical sound.

Meanwhile, try one with shield, this kind of geometry already do shield the cable, although not 1005 shield, but add anther shield usually makes the cable with airly extension.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 09:08 

Nice work! They look great! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 12:12 
Banned

Quote:
! what now I believe is that you need the ground to be more perfect in order for it to ground all the noise or to shield all the interfaces ! so what I have inturn done in this cable is, I have used 4 out 6 for grounding and rest 2 for the signal ! this way the max is used for ground !.

Hi.

Why so many got the wrong concept in grounding vs shielding??

To build an audio cables right, one got to know about this wire & cabbe ABC.

Grounding wire we refer all the time is the wire to serve as the audio signal return path leaving the amplifer.We should know when the audio signal goes into an audio amp from its transmitting source, it got to return back to the transmissing source via the ground wire. So incoming signal = return signal.

So there is no need of any extra grounding wires than one ground wire!

EXtra wires for grounding is NOT, reppeat, not helping but ruining the signal transfer as more such "ground" wires braided closely with the signal wire will add more conductor-to-conductor capacitance & self inductance.of the whole IC.

So you are shooting yr own feet in killing the sound & burning more money (to buy more silver wires).

Shielding is another story. Shielding is a device to cover up the incoming signal & return signal from RFI or hum noises contamination. It is the same braid tube you used in yr ICs per yr link.

Take out the extra "ground" wires & ground only one end of the braid shield tubing. I bet you will find the ICs sound better.

c-J

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 02:28 

Hi,

@Cheap Jack

I have tried all the combo's that you mention and have noted the results ! what worked the best is what I have posted, I don't mean to dispute your theories but for me it didn't work plain and simple. Also why would anyone want to spend more money when less can do the same job or better ?? Am certainly not the one who thinks more is merrier !!

Call it what you and will but the fact for me remains that single wire (be it single stand or multistand) either in braided or otherwise didn't give me desired results which this cable gave me, Now we might debate to the end of this world as to your theory is better then mine and Vice versa but its not going to change the fact (at least for me ).

Some time back Gio has suggested me that I take the braided mesh wire and connect it to one end of the ground and leave it at the other end ( Drain as he calls it),This he says will result in better IC or cable design in general, So the point Am trying to make here is, many have tried their own way of IC and have found something which works for them.

Yes the usage of shielding word in my post may have been in wrong context and thus I agree to what you say on that subject.But for that as well I have used the braided mesh over the braided wires which I hope is the right usage of the material for shielding purposes.

So can we just say Each to his own and leave it at that ?

Regards.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 18:29 
Editor

soundsgreat wrote:
Some time back Gio has suggested me that I take the braided mesh wire and connect it to one end of the ground and leave it at the other end ( Drain as he calls it),This he says will result in better IC or cable design in general, So the point Am trying to make here is, many have tried their own way of IC and have found something which works for them.

Hi Soundsgreat - good to hear from you.

The drain wire concept is not my idea. It comes from the SuperCables CookBook by Allen Wright. The ideal is that the drain wire acts as a sort of a shield. The drain wire is only connected at one end to remove the possibility of a ground loop.

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2011, 08:25 

Hi,

Quote:
Hi Soundsgreat - good to hear from you.

Its good to be back and also nice to hear from you too :) !!

Quote:
The drain wire concept is not my idea. It comes from the SuperCables CookBook by Allen Wright. The ideal is that the drain wire acts as a sort of a shield. The drain wire is only connected at one end to remove the possibility of a ground loop.

Yes Gio I was just trying to illustrate how different people have different view points,The drain concept was first introduced to me by you,after which I read bout it to understand more and such.

Anyways what are you upto these days ? I made a BookShelf speakers recently,thought of posting it here but since my complete lack of having any measuring tools necessary and not to mention the fact that my place is least conducive for such, I kept quiet !! Because here folks go more by the graph then the actual sound, Anyways will not go any further.

Suffice to say it received a huge applause and was compared to various big brands with hefty price tag !!

Regards.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2011, 08:47 
Banned

Hi.

Glad that you come back in a year time to pursue this same topic.

One's bread can be another's poison. So forget the theory & go whatever way you want to suit yr musical taste. Music is personally subjective, right?

c-J

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2011, 09:35 
Banned

Hi.

OT warning:- Detete it if YOU want.

While you mentioned Allen Wright.......

Gio wrote:
The drain wire concept is not my idea. It comes from the SuperCables CookBook by Allen Wright.

I know Allen Wright by his phono preamps rather than his cable building. IMO, he knows preamp building much much more than building interconnects though I still agree to many points he mentioned in his 'cookbook'.

I was very interested in auditioning his flagship phono preamp: RTP3D which is retailed for USD24,900 (made in Switzerland) due to Allen's uncompromised design. This unique designed preamp has been earing raving appraisals from critics & audiophiles worldwide.

As this preamp is not that readily availabe here in the Great White North, not even down the US. So I asked him last summer where I could listen to it & I mentioned I would be going to Shanghai Expose in China via Hongkong. He said there is one available for audition from his regional rep in Hongkong.

So he kindy arranged an audition meeting there. Because of this important event to me, I brought with me a couple of best sounding vinly albums in my luggage to test the preamp out.

It was pretty good sounding & blew away another very high end brandname SS preamp used as reference there. But if you asked my very honest opinion, maybe due to its very complex design, it sounded a bit shy in inner details & 3-D display in climax vs my humble 1-stage home-brew phonostage I listen at home.

c-J