DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Oct 2020, 04:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 09:26 
Editor

I thought about that since the shield is not grounded, but I don't know if that can have a negative affect.

The electrical property that is important for interconnect cables is capacitance. You need to keep that low. Did you happen to measure yours? It may be worth experimenting with a test section. Measure the capacitance with and without the shield. You could also try 2 wires vs the 6 you used as you don't need that much conductor for line level signals.

I like a simple approach too. If you need to use a braided shield, have you considered using a coaxial cable?

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 03:13 

Hi,
Quote:
I thought about that since the shield is not grounded, but I don't know if that can have a negative affect.

Gio I will have to try I guess to find out !

Quote:
The electrical property that is important for interconnect cables is capacitance. You need to keep that low. Did you happen to measure yours?

I tried it but don't know why my meter is throwing errors like crazy ! it does not give me proper reading ! its not a auto range meter and is a manual one,so if I keep the range to nf there is shows some and in uf it shows another and so on..... not able to get a proper reading !!

Quote:
You could also try 2 wires vs the 6 you used as you don't need that much conductor for line level signals.

I had in the initially thought bout this ! I mean I was also thinking that you need not use many wires or even if you do it has to be equal (i,e same number of wires for both signal and ground ) but then had a different idea ! what now I believe is that you need the ground to be more perfect in order for it to ground all the noise or to shield all the interfaces ! so what I have inturn done in this cable is, I have used 4 out 6 for grounding and rest 2 for the signal ! this way the max is used for ground ! also I have taken the middle wires so that it almost elmulates or apes the Co-Axial cable pattern ;) !

So thats why I have used 6 wires :) ! Guess this also answers the Co-Ax cable question ! anyways I have tried some belden Co-Ax but was not too happy with it ! so instead did this,my own Co-Ax :mrgreen: !!

Regards.

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 19:12 
Editor

Which Belden coaxial cable did you use? The Belden 89259 RCA Interconnect Cables are supposed to be very good. I will have to try a pair for myself.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 12:02 

Hi,

Gio I used the same cable ( Belden 89259 ), this cable was brought from US from my friend who gave it to me !! So I don't know what to comment :? !! I also was made to think that they are very good hence I got them,but after trying,let me just say this "Compare to this IC (the one were are discussing here) was miles ahead in the over all sound"

Also yesterday I had the fortune of comparing this IC or say doing One on One withChord Cobra :D ! Well we (me and two of my friends as I thought it would be better to have some evidence or neutral folks ;) ) spent close to 3 hours listening to various types of music !

We first listened to the set-up which consisted of the following

1) Source : Marantz CD 5003
2) Amp : Cary Audio Integrated CAI 1
3) Speakers : Tannoy F4 Custom
4) Interconnects : Chord Cobra
4) Speaker Cable : Chrod Carnival Silverscreen

We listened to the above as it is ! we listened to various types of music ranging from Allan Taylor's Jazz/Country to Kenny G's Modern with Dire Starits Soft Rock thrown in between !! The sound was good but we only found out what the exact sound of the set up was when we connected my cable !

The same music with my IC, The sound was more natural and open ! the bass region had a major boost as if the sub had come into the picture,The treble was silky smooth,very focused and Airy,The mids which sounded good earlier seemed like it had major bloat when the same vocals was heard through my IC !!

With each track and each different cd the result was evident and very very clear that the Chords were sissies in front of my cable !! they just didn't have what it takes and was a no brain'er to arrive at the conclusion that it lost and lost by miles !!

I had also taken my Anaconda's with me ! what it did to the Carnival Silverscreen is Amazing ! in one word it sent the Silverscreen to a Ailen carnival only to never return :lildevil: !! I could elaborate but this is not the right thread I suppose ;) !

If some one thinks Am bloating bout myself and stuff here ! I can ask my friends who participated in the event to comment ! also once the guy whom we visited comments on them (he's yet to post it in the other forum ) in the local forum I shall copy the comments and Shall post it here ! just let me know if its required ;) ??

Regards.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 20:56 
Editor

One thing you will find is that there is no one cable that is right for all systems so experimenting the way you are is the best approach. Thanks for sharing your listening comments. It sounds like you guys had some fun.
Cheers

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 05:25 

Quote:
One thing you will find is that there is no one cable that is right for all systems so experimenting the way you are is the best approach.
Hi,
Very very true Gio thats why I want to test these cables with as many combination's as possible !! I had requested for some volunteers for the same ! and one of them was this gentleman who's into retailing of the said products !

Although so far no other member has shown interest,Am hoping to get atleast couple of more ! here in our city people are very very tricky ! I mean they don't allow you to do such stuff or even allow you to check their system out that easily (unless you are a very very influential kind of person) !

I don't know how are these things there where you live !! if you can shed some light it will be nice !

But yes Gio we did have a lot of fun ! all of Us enjoyed immensely !!

I shall post as and when I do another round of such comparison !

Regards.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 20:49 
Editor

Right now, I spend very little time on cables. I have a lot of other parts of my system to improve on. Each have their own preference on order of importance. For me it is speakers, amp, source, preamp and cables last. Until I improve my system more, cable changes only result in very subtle changes.
Cheers

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 10:55 
Project Author

I made a pair of 6 braid speaker cables using this wire I have, not shure what it was used for but have a big bin full of it in all colours, lengths and sizes. Some of it is Coax, most of it is stranded type silver coated copper wire with teflon insulation, allot like Kimber cable, but in a way better.

One thing that amazed me was when I rewired my Viking amp with this stuff, it sounded allot better, with just the wire alone! As for the speaker cable, it is only like a 4-5 foot length and every amp I tried them on there was a slight improvement in clarity, even on my cheap Akai STK chip amp!

I've heard that network cable work good as well, and one of these days I am going to a pair of cables to see how it compairs.

I would certainly help out with your testing of different interconnect cables, and I suppose I could send a sample of the wire I have, if time allowed, for now I will watch, and I may try some of the combinations of cables suggested.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 14:02 

Hi,
Quote:
Right now, I spend very little time on cables. I have a lot of other parts of my system to improve on. Each have their own preference on order of importance. For me it is speakers, amp, source, preamp and cables last. Until I improve my system more, cable changes only result in very subtle changes.

Ok Gio thanks anyways !

Hey buddy thanks for the reply ! why don't you post the same here so that we can get some idea and also enjoy,appreciate your hard work ;) !!

Quote:
I've heard that network cable work good as well, and one of these days I am going to a pair of cables to see how it compairs.

Buddy not a good idea ! I have tried these for IC and also for speaker cables ! they suck big time ! the bass is very lean,thin and almost 30% reduction in bass aswell :( ! the mids can be sometimes very pronounced (a very small amount though ) :sing: ! it only excels in Highs ! it extends the highs very well making it bit more airy and very sweet :up: !

So if you plan to use it for a biwire/biamp setup and that too for highs, it will be a good choice !! otherwise not worth the time and effort !!

Coming back to my cables ;) , Today again was out for audition and to compare the cables as ( as you know Am on an Audition/Comparision spree now ) a fellow member from the local forum had visited me yesterday to audition my stuff and subsequently invited me for the same at his place (same meaning auditioning his setup ;) ) !

The Set-up
1) Amplifier : NAD Integrated (forgot to note the model number)
2)Speakers : Wharfedale Diamond 9.2
3) CD Player : Marantz CD6002
4) Interconnects : Profi gold and 2 sets of locally made IC (one pair pure copper and one pair Pure Copper )
5) Speaker Cable : DAC (Designer Audio Cable,An Indian Brand but made by a Major Taiwanese OEM comapany !! its PCOCC )

As usual we heard the setup with his default cables (heard bout 4-5 songs), The sound seemed somewhat lifeless and at times in your face,the bass was bit boomy ! Then we switched the IC from Profi gold to mine,the sound suddenly gained weight and depth ! started to sound very controlled and precise,Then came the turn to change the speaker cable ! once my speaker cable was added to the equation the whole scene changed ! the low extended well beyond then earlier cable,The overall imaging and resolution also gained to a considerable amount !

Overall it was almost same story as before (keeping the components in the system in mind ) ! So again I walked out as a very very happy man with a big grin :D !!

So What I can summarize (if its not too early or premature) is, This cable seems to work irrespective of the components that its paired with and seems to give exact same ( or very very similar ) results :king:! so can say it has neutral effect from all the system that its partnered with 8-) !!

What do you guys think ?? if you guys like me to do something different or something with Audition pattern or whatever,Please do let me know ! your feedback is very valuable ;) !!

Regards.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 20:16 
Editor

I got another speaker cable article that I will post shortly. This one looks good ... low inductance by using alternate twists. I should be able to get it on the site by the end of the week.

Did you try making the braided CAT5 speaker cables?
Cheers